Convertible69

Suspension Upgrade??

there are plenty of kits but really at the end of the day it will be a lot of time and money to get it to feel like a new car. It all really depends on you budget and capabilities.

TCP (Total Control Products)is the fromt end I'll be using on mine. It's bolt in.

There are also kits that require fabrication such as removing the shock towers and welding in a new front setup.

What's your budget and capabilities?

Thx for the replies! Currently my budget is about $3,000. I may have to just concentrate on the front for now. I'm looking for something bolt-in....not looking for weld in as I would have to sub it out.

In addition to the front end suspension, I want to swap out the drum brakes for disk. Probably best to do it at the same time?

I always recommend anyone call Shaun at Street or Track.  He is a great guy to deal with and will give you different options to choose from.  I spoke with him several time before ordering anything from him.  I have his front coil over set up, unisteer power steering set up and disc brake conversion package.  I am 100% happy with everything I bought from him.  He is great to deal with and and I would not hesitate sending anyone there or buying anything else from him. 

There are a lot of great options out there for suspension, and they all have their advantages.  I am just giving you my experience.

Good luck.

Barnett468, I did not see your first response, but to answer your question....yes I would like it to ride smooth & not roll in corners. From what I've read, lowering the car will help with some of this.

I should back up & add that I purchased the car about a year ago from an older gentleman who had the car redone approx. 3 years ago. From what I can tell, most of the suspension parts were replaced to factory specs, so it rides like an old car. If I hit a pothole, sounds like the windshield is going to crack.

SM69Mach / Premix, Thx for the info!! I will check out Street or Tracks website & talk to Shaun.

ok, much better.

there is absolutely no need to spend big bucks on suspension to make it handle like a go cart.

SHELBY DROP

This o onr1. e of the primary things you can do to improve steering and cornering . It consists of lowering the upper control arm 1" . Some paces sell a template t do this.

Some aftermarket control arms do not have enough movement in the ball joint to work with a lowered arm . If your joints look like they will bind you can buy one from moog or replace the arm with a moog or scott drake arm.

LOWERING SPRINGS

480 lb if you can find them, otherwise 550 lb from npd but these will make the ride pretty firm.

SHOCKS

Gas KYB or revalved Bilsteins from Maier Racing.

REAR LEAF SPRINGS

135 lb mid eye or reverse eye depending on how much lower you want it . TCP springs are good.

SPRING PERCH

Scott Drake urethane . rotates 360 degrees with no binding . same principal as roller bearing perches but a budget version.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-coil-spring-saddle-high-performance-1965-1973/p/CSS4/

FRONT SWAY BAR

7/8" with urethane bushings

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=833+01&Category=Suspension+%26+Steering&subCategory=Sway+Bars+%26+Hardware&CatKey=Cougar

Barnett468, lots of great info!!

Currently the rear end is sitting lower than the front. I think I'll concentrate on the front end first, lowering it to match the rear.

What would allow my car to ride smoother in your opinion...lowering springs or Coilovers?

Which one gives me more adjustability also??

The spring is not the primary contributor to ride quality. It's pretty much only in the mix to keep the car from dragging on the ground.  The shock is the brains of the operation, but there is more to it than just a good shock with the proper spring rate.

There are several things that you want the suspension to do: 

1. Keep the tires contact patch flat on the road surface.

2. Maintain precise control of suspension travel arcs and spindle position.

3. Control wheel movement without a harsh ride.

4. Reduce the amount of body roll and pitch.

5. Provide adjustability for tuning purposes.

You can learn more about the options that we offer by reading THIS DOCUMENT or by giving us a call. We manufacture four different base systems for the front of the Mustang. See them all HERE. Each has a lot of configuration options. I'm happy to talk you through all the ins and outs.

TCP (Total Control Products)is the front end I'll be using on mine. It's bolt in.

Thanks Trinity!

Barnett468, lots of great info!!

Currently the rear end is sitting lower than the front. I think I'll concentrate on the front end first, lowering it to match the rear.

What would allow my car to ride smoother in your opinion...lowering springs or Coilovers?

Which one gives me more adjustability also??

Well, here's the deal, the stiffer the spring and shock and bigger the sway bar etc, the HARSHER it will ride, its that simple.

We have no idea what your current parts are so we can't tell you if "upgrading" will make it worse or better.

The fact is that you do NOT need coil over shocks to make it ride well, nor will they make it ride any differently than standard shocks but lots of companies would like to make you think it will.

One option that is helpful in getting the ride just how you want is the use of shocks with adjustable damping . shocks that have a separate adjustment for rebound and compression have the most adjustability but they are expensive . viking probably has the least expensive.

we also need to know your tire size . wide low profile tires will make it rid like a rock.

also, if you have never driven a vintage muscle car before and you just got out of your cadillac or cedes and jumped in it, it will feel like crap.

TCP makes nice products and has been in the suspension market longer than many others.  Maybe it's just me.  But, it doesn't seem right that a well established business is promoting their product within posts in a forum like this.  It's great and very much appreciated to help with answers and solutions.  But do it in an objective manner that doesn't promote your own products.  In my mind one member recommending a brand or mfg is fine.  But a well established mfg promoting their own product in a post just doesn't seem right. 

....not looking for weld in as I would have to sub it out.

You won't see any radical difference before you weld in some subframe connectors. Subframe connectors gives you a stiffer platform for the suspension to work off of. No point in having a fancy suspension if that suspension has to fight chassis flex. Like you, I had to sub out the welding when I installed my TCP suspension. I drove the car 2 days with their rack & pinion and front coil over system installed before I got the subframe connectors installed.  Of course, the steering was more precise than the old 'box. Suspension was so and so, I can't really comment on it, because I hadn't gotten an alignment yet. I think I didn't even have the sway bar installed (This was 10 years ago!). But I when I then got the car back after the subframe connectors was installed, it was night and day. I could tell that from the short ride from the weld shop top the alignment shop. Even the stock leaf springs in the back did a better job!  It was then of course an totally different car after the alignment. But I got to feel the importance of the subframe connectors, and have been advocating them since.

TCP makes nice products and has been in the suspension market longer than many others.  Maybe it's just me.  But, it doesn't seem right that a well established business is promoting their product within posts in a forum like this.  It's great and very much appreciated to help with answers and solutions.  But do it in an objective manner that doesn't promote your own products.  In my mind one member recommending a brand or mfg is fine.  But a well established mfg promoting their own product in a post just doesn't seem right. 

i am of the same opinion and some sites have a policy against open solicitation of members by businesses but i dont know what this sites policy is on it, however, a quick pm to RPM should tell us.

its also likely that this person is a salesman and TCP management is unaware of this persons actions and this person may be new and not know that openly soliciting members of a forum is typically taboo and in bad taste, and if a lot of vendors did this it could get ugly and simply turn a forum into an advertisement for vendors which is not its purpose.

vendors can pay some sites like this to have their name displayed and some sites have a section specifically for vendors to advertise in.

The fact is that you do NOT need coil over shocks to make it ride well, nor will they make it ride any differently than standard shocks but lots of companies would like to make you think it will.

You are absolutely right!  A properly matched set of shocks and springs are the goal. It doesn't matter if they are coilovers, coil springs, leaf springs, torsion bars, or airbags- as long as they are correct for the job they need to do.  However, the benefit of a coilover is that you can fine tune the spring and that there are more rates to choose from.  Apples to apples, the ride quality should be the same.

However, spring and shock mounting position does have an impact on ride quality and suspension performance.  As a coilover assembly is physically smaller we can improve the motion ratio which allows us to run a lighter spring, due to more mechanical advantage, and this does improve the ride quality. Also, properly engineered coilover system has less stiction in the shock and spring assembly than a coil spring style setup.  This also improves ride quality and makes it quieter.

Chris actually wrote a really informative article on the subject: Coilover Conversions Explained.

we also need to know your tire size . wide low profile tires will make it rid like a rock.

No, not with a properly tuned/built damper. This video is a ridealong with my brother's Plymouth Barracuda. It has 275/35-18 in the front, and 335/30-18 in the back. It has an XV Engineering Level 2 suspension. It has Multimatic (They develop stuff for OEMs, F1 teams, heavily involved with the new Ford GT, etc.. world class tech stuff)  built/tuned Afco dampers. The car rides like a champ. Not harsh at all, and not soft either. Just perfect. In the video, you can see that the wheel does not bounce around (too soft damping), and the car does not bounce (too hard damping) or squat (too soft). The wheel is always in contact with the ground, and the car rides smooth. So the wheel size does not dictate the ride feel, the damper does.

https://vimeo.com/140228745

i actually design suspensions so i am quite familiar with all the aspects including leverage ratios and was aware of stiction as early as 1974 . as far as removing "stiction" from areas that pivot like ones that use tortional bushings, yes it "frees up" the suspension, however, it also makes the ride harsher because it transfers more energy from the bumps, directly to the chassis, and since the op is already complaining about a harsh ride, it does not seem prudent for him to install control arms with heim joints or delrin for the pivot bushings etc.

also, it does not sound to me like the op wants to make his car handle like a ferrari, therefore, in my experience, these types of parts would be counterproductive to achieving his goal.

oddly enough, high quality parts like your upper control arms etc are NOT always the best choice for every application . in regards to suspension, "one size does not fit all.".

its quite easy for any of us to suggest high dollar parts when we are not the ones paying for it.

No, not with a properly tuned/built damper.

FACT - it will make it ride firmer irregardless of what shocks you have.

You can even do a simple test to prove this, just remove the tires from your rims and drive over a few bumps, then install some 78 series radials and do the same thing.

Also, although those shocks will likely provide the best ride, I could be wrong but I doubt the op would want to spend $5,000 on a set of shocks, but one never knows.

some sites have a policy against open solicitation of members by businesses but i dont know what this sites policy is on it, however, a quick pm to RPM should tell us.

Hey Mike, thanks for throwing extra work my way! :) When we were appointed as moderators no rulebook came with the crown, so I have no idea what is allowed. Heck, I didn't even get a cheat sheet.

I personally have no issues with the type of reply Carl from TCP wrote. He gave some basic suspension info, and included links to further tech info and their available front suspensions. And he only replied after a post mentioned use of their product.

Hey Mike, thanks for throwing extra work my way! :) When we were appointed as moderators no rulebook came with the crown, so I have no idea what is allowed. Heck, I didn't even get a cheat sheet.

I personally have no issues with the type of reply Carl from TCP wrote. He gave some basic suspension info, and included links to further tech info and their available front suspensions. And he only replied after a post mentioned use of their product.

Hey, no prob...i'm happy to throw you under the bus anytime.

i'm sure it doesn't really matter to anyone as long as you dont get vendors openly soliciting people for their business cuz it can get messy then, especially if several vendors do it.

vendors like tcp and others do have great info to offer and i'm guessing everyone welcomes that but it can be a fine line between offering advice and promoting a product.

i for one, love their stuff, but i don't suggest it to everyone because imo, it isn't always the best option if someone just wants a mild upgrade and less than optimal performance.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about the shaker seal . i just haven't been to that storage yet . might be around 10 more days.

No problem, haha.  I actually didn't mean to do that.  I'll see posts from a well established mfg occasionally and sometimes it seems like they are offering advise and promoting their product.  The latter part doesn't sit well with me.  Like Barnett mentioned, its a fine line between offering advise and promoting their product.

No problem, haha.  I actually didn't mean to do that.  I'll see posts from a well established mfg occasionally and sometimes it seems like they are offering advise and promoting their product.  The latter part doesn't sit well with me.  Like Barnett mentioned, its a fine line between offering advise and promoting their product.

Yes, and the bottom line is that most of them are promoting their product just by having their name posted . they rarely show up just to try and help without the hope of someone buying their product, so even though they may bring some new unmentioned info to the table, they still have an alterior, or additional motive, otherwise there is no point in having their business as their user name or telling people they can contact them for more info.

This comment is the most problematic imo.

"You can learn more about the options that we offer by reading THIS DOCUMENT or by giving us a call. We manufacture four different base systems for the front of the Mustang. See them all HERE. Each has a lot of configuration options. I'm happy to talk you through all the ins and outs.

Thanks Trinity!"

FACT - it will make it ride firmer irregardless of what shocks you have.

Well, that's not "ride like a rock" as you first stated ;)

Firmer I can agree on, as of course a 55 profile tire will have a smoother ride than a 35 profile tire (on the same shock absorber).