Silver-Fox

Sportroof rear rocker panel extentions and trunk lip on a Coupe ?

Has anyone tried putting the rocker panel extensions and truck lip from a Sportroof model onto a Hardtop Coupe ?

I do not mean the Shelby Extentions and truck seen on many Coupes....they are very different in height and angle.

I am restomoding a Family 69 coupe and I don't like the look of the big flat rear Shelby Coupe trunk and extentions. I think a small lip spoiler on the Coupe would look good. I bought the Shelby kit but am going to modify the look and can't seem to find anyone else's attemp to do this.

Tom

I've done the search. What im looking for are people who have tried making the Sportroof rocker panel EXTENTIONS work not the whole rocker panel. The lip for the Sport roof spolier is low and shape different yhen the Shelby extentions.

I am thinking that you are referring to the QUARTER panel extension, not the ROCKER panel. The rear quarter panels on the coupe are totally different than a sportroof design as the coupe extension attachment area is much more vertical. You can section the sportroof area into your coupe quarter panel and weld the sportroof deck lid lip onto the coupe deck lid. As previously sated, it will require a bunch of tedious welding but can be accomplished.

Right....I wanted to do that for my 1970 Convertible, and latoracing put his sportsroof end caps on my car, and it was totally out of whack.  It looks like you need to somehow cut the quarter off of the Coupe, and cut/shape/fab the sportsroof rear quarter to fit.   The other option is Maier Racing, they sell rear end caps and spoiler that have a different profile than the Shelby's.   If you find out more info/details, please post, I would be interested.

The other option is Maier Racing, they sell rear end caps and spoiler that have a different profile than the Shelby's.

I went this route.  My advice - steer clear, unless you're interested in spending many days/hours untwisting, shaving, and filling fiberglass to make it fit half decent.  I probably have 50 hours in the trunk lid alone.  I had to shave over a quarter of an inch off of each end cap to keep them from impacting the trunk lid.  I had to slice up the trunk lid itself in several places, untwist it, and then re-glass it back together.  It was a learning experience, that's for sure, but with the cost of the parts themselves on top of it - it makes for a very expensive and time consuming project.

Not my pics below.

Once you get the trunk lid figured out. Wether you make the metal,piece you weld on or use a pice cut from a fastback trunk lid.

Then you bolt the stock coupe pieces onto your car.

Then you start piling on the bondo....no I'm not kidding.

Keep piling on the bondo and shaping/sanding till you get to where you want them to look like.

Then here is the trick... Take them off the car and ship them to member Ridge Runner and pay him to make good quality fiberglass end caps for you.

Then you bolt them on, his fiberglass work is excellent

Actually there is another way... I saw this somewhere on the Internet.

How good of a welder are you! I saw where a guy used several pieces of sheet metal to make end caps to work with a spoiler. It did not seem as hard as you may imagine. Now he ended up welding them to the car so they were not removable but I recall they ended up looking nice

Bob

If i had a coupe body to fit the pieces i could make the fiberglass pieces .I have the fast back trunk lid and end caps 

I would also need a coupe trunk lid and end caps that someone didn't mind sacrificing .I think a coupe lid is wider than a fast back so there would be some slicing and splicing involved .

Once you get the trunk lid figured out. Wether you make the metal,piece you weld on or use a pice cut from a fastback trunk lid.

Then you bolt the stock coupe pieces onto your car.

Then you start piling on the bondo....no I'm not kidding.

Keep piling on the bondo and shaping/sanding till you get to where you want them to look like.

Then here is the trick... Take them off the car and ship them to member Ridge Runner and pay him to make good quality fiberglass end caps for you.

Then you bolt them on, his fiberglass work is excellent

Actually there is another way... I saw this somewhere on the Internet.

How good of a welder are you! I saw where a guy used several pieces of sheet metal to make end caps to work with a spoiler. It did not seem as hard as you may imagine. Now he ended up welding them to the car so they were not removable but I recall they ended up looking nice

Bob

That is correct ,slap on the bondo until you get it the way you want it with the best gaps possible ,end caps and trunk lid ,and it would be simple to make the mold .You would want the pieces to look good enough to paint black so you would get the best molds possible .

Ridge Runner....I have the original Coupe end caps and trunk lid......the Shelby kit with end caps and trunk lid look pretty good except the lip is WAY to TALL..

The plan is to cut about 1" to 1 1/4 " off the height of both the end caps and lid lip to make them even (with the trunk lid seals lid installed) and reshape the cut edges with fiberglass and resin.

The body shop helping me with replacing the rusted out drivers floor is doing most of the work along with the new paint.

Any tips on making easier would be helpful.

That is about the way i would do it ,the problem is sooner or later the fiberglass will let go from the pot metal end caps .hot and cold weather will shrink and expand the two different materials and that usually causes cracks or bonding failures .Some times it will hold up for a few years though .

I was looking at my fast back thunk lid and end caps and i believe they may lean to far forward at the top to make an easy transfer to a coupe .I think the coupe end caps are much shorter at the top so the dish/spoiler  at the top of the fast back lid and caps would wind up into the quarter ,i would need to look at a coupe to compare . 

Also a 70 has different end caps from a 69 ,they are shaped completely different ,the trunk lid is the same so there would have to be a completely different set of end caps made for a 70.

there definitely is a big market for a better fitting spoiler deck setup for coupes. Something that's not nearly as tall. Possibly something that resembles the sportsroof pieces but custom fit on coupe parts. People have been trying to get this to work for years. PAK was fitting a set years ago.

Ridge Runner......there is no Pot medal.....the Shelby end caps for the coupe are already fiberglass and so is the trunk lid.

I will let you know how it turns out. Perhaps a mold afterwards would be nice.

If you were close i would give you my original pieces I took off to work with.

I have a fiberglass extension on one side of my car and the pot metal on the other.  I suspect the fiberglass one is a re-pop from the 1980s when I was rear-ended on that side and that was used to replace the original.

I now have an original pot metal extension for that side the next time I do body work.

Hey Ridge, Im surprised you haven't gotten your hands on or at least tried to make a Shelby De Mexico Rear Spoiler ( but now I understand you didn't have any coupe to go off of.) 

I for one have been looking for a "Duck Tail" I really dislike the shelby tail and can't understand why no one has made a revised version or custom version of the spoiler. I've seen a Camaro rear spoiler added to a 70 coupe but some cutting was involved to that spoiler to go along with the contours of the trunk and end caps. 

oh and definitely stay away from Maier fiberglass..they are thin and quality is terrible, I recently went back there to look at their Wheel Flares (just out of curiosity)...not impressed.

idk... I had ideas of going with that nascar rear type spoiler but i think I would ruin the look of the car. 

added pic for reference.. DSC01623.jpg

Camaro spoiler

0013_zps3kxnztmj.jpg

0004_zpsdaq2eeyk.jpg

I an still planning on making the Shelby De Mexico type trunk lid and end caps ,soon as i can get my hands on a coupe .i keep seeing a back half of a 69 coupe on Craigs list that i would buy just for fitting purposes if the guy didn't think it was gold plated .

I like the Red & Gold with the Camaro spolier.....I'm doing Ruby Red Met as a base on bottom and an Ingot Silver on top.

Do you know what year the Camaro spolier was......I'm thinking they just shorten the width a little ?

I like the Red & Gold with the Camaro spolier.....I'm doing Ruby Red Met as a base on bottom and an Ingot Silver on top.

Do you know what year the Camaro spolier was......I'm thinking they just shorten the width a little ?

I believe it was a 68-69 camaro spoiler. From what I read in that forum, he had to cut the bottom edges to contour the end caps. I'm not sure if he shortened it, im sure he did some cut and splicing.

I would still love to go this route, it almost looks like it goes well with the car almost like an "add-on" feature. I never liked the rear wing spoilers on coupes..just looks off to me, I think a duck tail would be better if not Superior to the rear wing option. 

hey Ridge, if you can make this type spoiler for our cars that would be nice... ill be first to purchase one. lol

Hey Ridge, Im surprised you haven't gotten your hands on or at least tried to make a Shelby De Mexico Rear Spoiler ( but now I understand you didn't have any coupe to go off of.) 

I for one have been looking for a "Duck Tail" I really dislike the shelby tail and can't understand why no one has made a revised version or custom version of the spoiler. I've seen a Camaro rear spoiler added to a 70 coupe but some cutting was involved to that spoiler to go along with the contours of the trunk and end caps. 

oh and definitely stay away from Maier fiberglass..they are thin and quality is terrible, I recently went back there to look at their Wheel Flares (just out of curiosity)...not impressed.

idk... I had ideas of going with that nascar rear type spoiler but i think I would ruin the look of the car. 

added pic for reference.. DSC01623.jpg

Camaro spoiler

0013_zps3kxnztmj.jpg

0004_zpsdaq2eeyk.jpg

So it looks like that person grafted a 70 taillight panel onto a 69 body? Am I not correct? Looks great.