bjmole

Mach 1 to mod or not to

Hi

First time to the forum and would like to ask I have a 69 numbers matching Mach 1 I purchased last fall

It is a H code with no options I am doing a ground up restoration do you think I should do some mods or keep it buy the numbers

Thanks

BJ

Its a personnel preference.  My 70 H code shaker Mach1 was pretty stock up till about 12 years ago.  I am so happy with my car after all the mods I've done.  I never look back in the mirror.  Alan   

Hi

First time to the forum and would like to ask I have a 69 numbers matching Mach 1 I purchased last fall

It is a H code with no options I am doing a ground up restoration do you think I should do some mods or keep it buy the numbers

Thanks

BJ

well if you are going to mod it, please save all stock parts. if you ever decide to sell it down the road it will help the car sell faster because you saved all your original parts. 

well if you are going to mod it, please save all stock parts. if you ever decide to sell it down the road it will help the car sell faster because you saved all your original parts. 

+1 on this. The originals are getting harder to find all the time.  Dave R.

I also have an original "H" code Mach 1 that I chose to modify mainly because I already had a 428CJ with a Cast Iron Tailshaft C6 that were looking for a home.

To help you with your decision, it might help to know how rare or common your car is which will necessitate getting a "Marti Report."

There were 5,693 "H" Code Fastbacks built with the 3-Speed manual transmission in 1969

There were 3.219 "H" Code Fastbacks built with the 4-Speed Wide Ratio (2.78 First Gear) Transmission in 1969

There were 278 "H" Code Fastbacks built with the 4-Speed Close Ratio 2.32 First Gear)Transmission in 1969

There was only one (1) "H" Code Fastback built with the C4 Transmission in 1969

NOTE: The numbers are not broken down in the "Mustang...by the Numbers" book as to how many of the fastbacks were Mach 1.

Perhaps this helps you with your decision.

BT

Should also have stated there were 23,511 "X" (FMX Transmission) Coded 351 2V Mustangs built in 1969, of which your car was one of them. .

It appears your car came with the 3.00 Open rear (Axle Code 6).

DSO "64" is the New Orleans District Sales Office

The 3AA Trim indicates a Charcoal Black Knitted interior with dark woodgrain pattern on the door panel.

BT

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Most of the mods folks do are reversible anyway. One of the selling points of Mustangs was to order them with the options to make it to your liking. I took my 69 M code Mach 1 a step further but all of my mods are found on Mustangs. Convertible inner rockers, roll bar, 01 Cobra disc brakes, 2010 GT wheels, shaker hood and scoop, 3.50 traction lok gears, export brace, Monte Carlo bar.

It's your car, build it how you want.

Do what you want. If it's not a Q,R,G or Z code car, value won't be hurt much anyway with modifications.

Any car can be set up to be seen as more special than it is. My car is 1 of 16 with my option combo. Sounds special, but in reality it was an Candyapple red H-code SportsRoof with hubcaps. Not ever going to be worth big money in it's original setup anyway. It was already modified and styled like an Mach 1 when I got it, so easy choice for me. 

If modifying it makes you happy, do it.

If worrying about what the next person thinks, build it to keep someone else happy.

If you are doing it to get the most value or to make money, this is probably the wrong hobby. These things are money pits. How anyone makes money, unless they are deliberately ripping both the person they bought it off and the person they are selling to, I don't get how profiting off a resto is possible.

If modifying it makes you happy, do it.

If worrying about what the next person thinks, build it to keep someone else happy.

If you are doing it to get the most value or to make money, this is probably the wrong hobby. These things are money pits. How anyone makes money, unless they are deliberately ripping both the person they bought it off and the person they are selling to, I don't get how profiting off a resto is possible.

Easy.  They make money by charging by the hour on a project someone wants to own but has neither the time or the ability to complete.  Or they do high end customized jobs for people with a lot of money.  Building a good stock restoration with the idea of flipping the car only works on reality shows or if you find a very rare and desirable car.

If you're keeping it, do what makes you happy.  If you're going to sell after you're done with the resto/mod, I would keep all the original stuff as previously mentioned.  In the end It's your car and money to spend how ever your want.  Just make sure you drive and enjoy it.

First welcome to the forum!!! And please take this with a grain of salt...not trying to be offensive in any way. 

Lets be forward here. I think you already know the answer on how to treat the car, you may be conflicted on the logic of your thoughts but you have an idea. Its sounds to me like you want other people to tell you what you want to hear to support your thoughts. That's OK I guess but there is a problem with this way of thinking. 

Here's the deal.....you bought the car with the idea of ________________ already in your head. Asking us what to do with it isn't really going to change what you really want to do to it. I think you're just hoping one of us will support your idea. later when you're done of while you're on your way...people will not agree with your decision....but some will. Its life.  

Based on that, you should, IMHO, figure out what you want and roll with it. F$%* what we have to say on the direction you should take with your car because in the end, we're just like you. Each with their own motivations, internal and external influences and reasons. Some had a '69 in high school that never became what it could of and now later in life now have the means- so they are holding on to that original dream(that's my story). Others have other motivations....you need to figure out yours for yourself. We are here to help you build the car and give advise on how...."why" should be something you need to search yourself for....its what will keep you going in the project. building for others approvals may come with other problems i'm not sure we ....I am able to advise on.

Other than that.....lol....good luck!