Sign in to follow this  
dblizzo

Tire size

So I got some new wheels made by Vintage. 17x7 f and 17x9 r. I really wanted 17x8 f but they were discounted, significally, and pulled the trigger. So i been looking thru some old threads for tire size. I know recommended size (largest safe size) for it would be 225/45 f and 275/40 r. I was thinking I could get away with a 235/45 f and 285/40 r. Would that be too much buldge and wear badly? Or should I just stay safe with the recommended? BTW I saw @Powershift had a size up on his same rims and they looked good. I wonder how they did. Anyway what tire size should I go with?

Thanks for the chart. I have seen that before but quite some time ago. It appears that both combination of tire sizes will work. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences/opinions with the larger size tires since technically the 235 is supposed to fit on 7.5" rim and 285 on 9.5" rim. I guess I also wanted to know how to match the sidewall appearance. i.e how much a tire sticks out from the rim. I didnt want the rear tire to have some buldge and the front tire to be more straight or vice versa. Does that make sense? Lol.

Think I get it lol, so on the tires Web site look up the recommended tire size for your front rim. Let's just say it's 225, but you want a 235, when looking at the rear go one size up from the recommended size like you did on the front, this should give you the same tire width to rim width your looking for.