Sign in to follow this  
demon69

Electric Choke Wiring

Hi

I am about to install a relay to provide power to an electric choke.  From previous advice, I'm going to get power to energize the relay from the I terminal of the starter solenoid.  With ignition on, there is only around 7v at the terminal but when starting, there is 12v, this will energize the relay.  Has anyone tried this method and does it work okay?

On another matter and a bit more disturbing, I found an earth wire with melted insulation going to the regulator, see attached pics.  I believe this occurred before I purchased the car but not sure what has caused it.  Does anyone have any clues?  The wiring is a bit of a mess so I want to clean it up.  The previous owner move the solenoid and reg from inside guard to outside as you can see.

Secondly can you tell me what the part is with a X on it?  Is it a kind of cable tie or is it there for some other reason??  The melted wire runs from the terminal on the reg to this junction.

Thanks

post-45279-0-46480300-1457408377.jpg

post-45279-0-70946900-1457408415.jpg

The pictures are not big enough to see details of wire shorting.  One of the two lines has no insulation.  One line goes to the regular and the other goes to the headlights, side-marker lights and washer pump.  The "X" is a factory molding designed to keep the wires together in the bundle.  Normally, the harness is wrapped in tape, but the tape is long-gone.

Thanks for your comments.  One of the two lines which has no insulation is the one where the insulation has melted.  I will cut away the moulding with the X to see where this wire runs to. 

I removed the tape and the corrugated tubing to get access to the wiring.  One wiring loom passes through the inner guard to the alternator.  It has 3 wires but only two are terminated, the main charge wire and the field wire.  The alternator is earthed by a wire running from the alternator GRD to the engine block.  Is this the usual wiring setup for the alternator?  I was thinking that perhaps the wire that is not terminated may have been the original ground wire for the alternator.