7TCatvert

New aluminum Radiator

My 390 had been running a little hot around 200. It was new heavy duty radiator from MU.

I decided to switch it out to an aluminum one off eBay. I have a Griffen one in my Cougar but was not going to spend another 600. So I thought I would give this one a chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291620347931?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lowered the temp down to 185, all day long. Fit was perfect and it looks good in natural color.

I now have an extra radiator if anyone needs one.

I also have that one it was in my 428 Cougar before I replaced it. It worked well just did not look right. I have 2 extra working radiators now....plus a couple of 20" ones....

When using that radiator, did you have an "issue" with finding radiator brackets that would work without modification?

I had understood that "Mustang Depot" had them but they are on backorder with an approximate six week ETA. The "stock" brackets will not fit without modifications as the radiator is actually wider at the top and bottom. It looks like I will have to do some modifications unless I can find the correct ones.

BT

When using that radiator, did you have an "issue" with finding radiator brackets that would work without modification?

I had understood that "Mustang Depot" had them but they are on backorder with an approximate six week ETA. The "stock" brackets will not fit without modifications as the radiator is actually wider at the top and bottom. It looks like I will have to do some modifications unless I can find the correct ones.

BT

No issues fit perfectly...no modifications....I will try to get a picture up this weekend..

image_zpslgv69plo.jpeg

image_zpsqodgngoj.jpeg

Yes, that looks like a GREAT fit.

In my query above, I was inquiring about the fit of the other radiator that you took out...the one from Engineered Products. Do you have a picture of how that one went in as I am curious as to the brackets "fit?"

I take it the picture above is the radiator from AutoCity1958.

Thanks for the posting...I do wish I had purchased the one in your photographs instead of the one I purchased due to the problem with my having to apparently modify the stock brackets.

BT

image_zpsqodgngoj.jpeg

This one took a bit of work. I had to make a couple pads for the bottom, since the stock ones were too thick. Also the very edge of the radiator touches the hood. I think just when I run it hard though. I replaced this one with a Griffen...

image_zpsqodgngoj.jpeg

This one took a bit of work. I had to make a couple pads for the bottom, since the stock ones were too thick. Also the very edge of the radiator touches the hood. I think just when I run it hard though. I replaced this one with a Griffen...

this beautiful! I wonder if they make this with both outlets on the passenger side?  Great looking mustang! 

071.jpg

Sorry wrong picture

Thanks for posting photographs of both installs as it makes easy to see the differences.

I am going to try to use the one I have but it is great to know there is what I believe is a better alternative (as it relates to fitment) available.

BT

So I wonder if this radiator is available in a small block configuration with both outlet and inlet on the same side? I sent the seller a question. 

I just did the same. Want a 24" for the windsor application. They are not too far from me, I can go pickup. I can buy and install one and take pics if you want me too.

Thanks MAX POWER! 

http://www.usradiator.com/radiators/ford.html?cat=1061&material=24

http://www.usradiator.com/ford-mustang-1968-69-v8-289-302-351-aluminum-radiator.html

I found my answer though. Apparently the radiator 77 bought a US Radiators brand radiator from an e-bay distributor. I just took the e-bay sellers information and punched it into the US Radiators website and they came up. Searching the US radiator site and I found the correct radiator.(second link) Apparently there is a distributor in Brian/Collage Station which is a nice cruise in the mustang down the street.....sounds like a road trip. ;)

Thanks MAX POWER! 

http://www.usradiator.com/radiators/ford.html?cat=1061&material=24

http://www.usradiator.com/ford-mustang-1968-69-v8-289-302-351-aluminum-radiator.html

I found my answer though. Apparently the radiator 77 bought a US Radiators brand radiator from an e-bay distributor. I just took the e-bay sellers information and punched it into the US Radiators website and they came up. Searching the US radiator site and I found the correct radiator.(second link) Apparently there is a distributor in Brian/Collage Station which is a nice cruise in the mustang down the street.....sounds like a road trip. ;)

Good find, I was struggling and the seller didn't answer the query yet. I wonder why the US Radiators website lists them for $420 and the eBay seller lists them for $200. I looked at my local distributors website and they don't have the same radiator as the US site shows, so I am not sure what is up. Let me know what your guys is charging, if you could.

OK, update.

I called Auto City Classics, the eBay seller, kinda wondering why the one on eBay was $199 and the one on the US Radiator website was $420. Well it turns out the radiator sold on eBay is NOT built by US radiator, it's built in China. The one that they sold on eBay really isn't on their website either. I asked if he had any 24" ones that would be just like the version the OP bought except with the outlet on the passenger side, and he does not have any in stock for the passenger side outlet, but they get container shipments and it's a crapshoot what they get. He said call again in a couple of weeks.

So, there ya have it.

The Griffin direct fit for this application is about $625, the US radiator appears to be $420, and the Chinese one that Auto City sells is $199. Auto City can drop ship a radiator from US Radiator for you, but you can just order direct yourself.

Thanks for posting photographs of both installs as it makes easy to see the differences.

I am going to try to use the one I have but it is great to know there is what I believe is a better alternative (as it relates to fitment) available.

BT

Well, I decided NOT to use the one I had as there were a couple of issues as it relates to obtaining or making the brackets and the fact that there might have been some clearance issues with the install of the condenser.

I decided to go with the one from AutoCity1958 that 7TCatvert mentioned in the first post. It should arrive by next Wednesday. So, like 7TCatvert, I now have a brand new radiator that I will not be using.

BT

This thread is perfect timing for me. I am trying to figure out the best radiator for my situation. I will be using the factory 428 CJ fan and shroud with a hopped up stroker FE. I do not want to modify the radiator mounts but want as much cooling as possible. I also like a stockish looking top tank (brass or aluminum). So far I leaning towards the the Griffin @  608.00 shipped from Summit Racing. Griffin is very confident in their product. They state a max HP recommendation which is somewhat arbitrary but it helps. I called US Radiator and they wouldn't make any recommendation for my use-case. They just gave me the prices and said brass would last longer.