Ridge Runner

Coming soon ,to a Mustang near you

I started on the fiberglass sail panels today for the 69-70 Sport roof .I went into the welding shop with the idea of getting 16 gauge aluminum ,that is what i asked for any way .The kid behind the counter said they had some aluminum and went out back ...for about 1 hour . He comes in dragging 18 gauge galvanized sheet metal and says here you go. HAHA, i tell him that i said aluminum ,no you told me galvanized he says ...what ever ,i wasn't going to wait another hour for some real aluminum.

Any who i went ahead and made the driver panel out of the galvanized ,sure wasn't as easy to work with as aluminum would have been .

I traced an original sail panel on to my GALVANIZED sheet metal and cut it out 

post-42284-0-48339200-1456438893.jpg

About an hour later with help from my English wheel and i had it formed to the correct contour of the upper quarter .

post-42284-0-26607300-1456439040.jpg

post-42284-0-68632300-1456439084.jpg

I cut the hole for the sail panel light and check it for fit ,nice and tight .this hole will already be in the new fiberglass panels and will not have to be cut out .

post-42284-0-83696700-1456439219.jpg

All i need for this panel is the texture .I am going to try to glue the correct grain material to the metal panel and try to make the new mold ,if the gel coat doesn't react to the material .If it does i will have to use a spray texture .i found a texture that is a camera finish that looks pretty good ,but i would rather have the factory type finish if i can .

i test fit all the fiberglass panels along with the metal panel and it fits very well ,especially since it is just setting in place with no screws .Pics are a bit dark because i fit the pieces in my CJ while it is on the rotisserie .This is the driver side ,i still have to make the pass side .

post-42284-0-12362500-1456439559.jpg

Did he at least give you some G-90 material? lol Should have asked for some 5052-H32, that would have really confused him. 

The part looks just right, like always.

Enough with the sail panel, I want to see the english wheel lol, I want one really bad.

Did he at least give you some G-90 material? lol Should have asked for some 5052-H32, that would have really confused him. 

The part looks just right, like always.

Enough with the sail panel, I want to see the english wheel lol, I want one really bad.

Believe it or not it is a Harbor Freight wheel and it works great 

The second panel is done ,took about half the time the first one did ...i Knew what i was doing this time HAHA.

I ran into a small snag though ,my upholstery shop doesn't have the correct material to cover them with and the mustang catalogs doesn't show the material either. I may have to buy a headliner to cut up for the material .I really want the correct grain on these panels .

It turns out the right side and the left side of the car its self is slightly different ,one panel is about 1/4 inch shorter than the other side .It is hidden under the hockey sticks so it is not a problem .

post-42284-0-21527900-1456452477.jpg

post-42284-0-99392300-1456452586.jpg

This is the Harbor Freight English wheel like the one i have .It really works great on 18 or 22 gauge sheet metal and aluminum is even easier .You can't beat it for the price and it has like 7 different crowns and you can easily make custom crowns for it .I have used it to remove dents from rear valances and other small sheet metal panels .

post-42284-0-80767300-1456460464.jpg

I was about to mention that my aftermarket lights are a bit looser than my original ones were in my crappy sail panels LOL.

Heck Ridge you could leave the hole out all together if you wanted and let folks do what they please with it.

I would actually like to have a larger, Brighter set of lights back there myself as our cars never seem to have enough light inside, but Ill take em how ever you make em.

I was thinking about the light last night ,when i wrap the vinyl over the metal piece and tuck the material inside the hole it will make it quite a bit smaller so it should be good .The hole will need to be opened slightly for the light to fit ,depending on the size of the new lights .