1969Fstback

I need spring cutting advice

The rear has 2 inch lowering blocks. The front I have apart to put new control arms and to lower it. I have 1" Eibach lowering springs which I know I need to cut. They werw not installed, I removed what was probably original springs. Do I install the spring as is for a baseline or go ahead and cut half a coil off or do something else? If I install as is and I am 1 inch or 2 inches higher than rear how much should I cut off,to start with. I am guessing even though they are 1 inch lowering that I will still be more than a inch higher than rear based on originals being fatigued.

I want to be level or slight rake, I am fine with either.

With 2" lowering blocks, I can guarantee you will need to cut them at least a bit. 1/2 coil is a big increment. When I cut my first set of springs (note first set) I went by half coils which turned out to be a larger difference than I thought. This was with the common 1" drop springs. 1/2 wasn't enough and 1 coil turned out to be too much. 1/3 coil increments I would recommend, I ended up cutting 2/3 coil. I run 4.5 reverse eye leafs and my car is just about level front to back. I used a dremel after trying a sawzall with the best blades money can buy and it barely scratched the springs. I cooled the metal down with oil and would only cut a little bit before stopping for awhile for heat reasons. Came out fine, just a timely process.

Well before I bolted the Upper Control Arms on I would go ahead and do the Shelby Drop since it will help correct the suspension geometry, and you wont see much Actual drop from doing the modification "I think we saw 1/4-1/2" MAYBE when we did both of our cars.

Once you do the drop and install the UCA I would put the Coils in and lower the car and bounce it a few times to seat the springs, then see how much you need to cut.

We do 1/4 coil cuts then reinstall and check it again.

I always use a 4" angle grinder with a Cut-Off wheel and make the cut clean and fast, then take a file and clean the edge of the cut up.

Don't worry about heat transfer through the spring really, as fast as you cut through it with an angle grinder and thin cut off wheel the heat doesn't move up the coil more than an inch or two and the amount of heat I don't think will effect the temper of the spring especially on the very last 1-2 inches of the coil where it doesn't really matter anyhow, but im sure others have their opinions on this.

on our cars, the front springs didn't settle near as much as a new pair of rear leafs, we generally cut until we get it just a little higher than we want it to be and go drive it and the next day or 2 after its sat with the weight on the springs we re-evaluate and cut one last time.

If you cut to much you can always do the Spring perch relocation and gain about 1/2" back, just don't go over more than 1/2" and you can correct it without new springs.

It is was me I would install the springs and drive it with that suspension a little. Event bouncing the car a bit will not be good enough and you will get settling after a few miles.

Shelby left the old holes empty.

I installed fender bolts in the holes strictly as decoration

Bob

Leave them open, or put some bolts in them, it don't really matter.

How wet ya think it gets under the hood when you drive in a rain storm? 4 bolt holes wont amount to 1/100th of the water that you get under there from the rain LOL.

you could always pop some little metal finish caps in the holes if you were that worried about them

Leave them open, or put some bolts in them, it don't really matter.

How wet ya think it gets under the hood when you drive in a rain storm? 4 bolt holes wont amount to 1/100th of the water that you get under there from the rain LOL.

you could always pop some little metal finish caps in the holes if you were that worried about them

Yeah, that crossed my mind too.  Kinda thought I was over thinking it.  

My experience is that due to the geometry, you will get about double the drop that you cut.  In other words, making the spring 1" shorter will bring the front down about 2" or so.  So I would view it as how much of a coil do I need to cut to get that drop, not "how many coils".

just wanting some confirmation -

I'm about to cut my front 620 springs a half coil with a chop saw -  I'm going to try to cut horizontal so they still fit flat 

im on grab-a-track shocks with 
Sway-Bar-Size: 1-1/8"
Leaf_Springs: 4½-Leaf Mid Eye

BJfcSAi.jpg

i've had my 620's on for around a year - and theres a sizable gap between the tire and fender - almost twice the gap in the rear 

figure might as well try it, and if it doesn't work out - i'll just try the shelby drop springs 

they won't settle more than 1/4".

Kinda what I figured also.  That would get me close.  And for now close enough.  Cause I am switching gears to a 62 rambler next month for my eldest's first car. It will be some time before I get back to mine.  But, if its running and driving and stopping I can deal with the other small issues.  Such as crap interior, no door windows and a dead gauge cluster.

Kinda of a true barn find, but a garage.  Good friend and ex-coworker's dad bought it in 1967.  The friend drove it in early 70's and they parked it in a garage in 1975 due to a u joint.  The friend hated it and bought a Camaro.  The car sat in a sunless, waterless garage since 1975 up until 2 years ago.  His parents passed and the house was condemned.  The car has almost no rust and what's there is surface.  I got it for a steal since he needed the money and no way of hauling it.  I was gonna resell it.  My daughter who was 10 at the time fell in love.  She's 12 now and I figure if I start now then by the time she's 16 it will be ready to roll.  I am looking forward to it.  

i've had my 620's on for around a year - and theres a sizable gap between the tire and fender - almost twice the gap in the rear 

figure might as well try it, and if it doesn't work out - i'll just try the shelby drop springs 

Or just drop an FE in it. That would lower it a bit....

Here's what you end up with when you have 620 1" drop springs with 3/4 of a coil cut off and the Shelby drop with 4.5 leaf Reverse Eye springs and a 1/2" longer than stock rear spring hanger.

Rear tires are 275-40-18 Front tires are 255-40-17's

Side note..

When the front gets this low you will have frame to sway bar contact in the front which means shorter front links on the sway bar.

When its this low in the back if you will have clearance issues with the tires, rear end Etc.....

All and all its a huge pain in the ass, but I love the look, handles GREAT and the ride is SoSo... Its a little rough for my taste.

Oh I have Konis on all 4 corners also

Front and rear fenders are rolled and nothing hits no matter how hard I corner it or turn the wheels.

I did have to hammer clearance the driver inner wheel well a little bit tho

post-13203-0-16470400-1470244276.jpg