MustangChuck

Steering column question

Does anyone know if the shaft that runs down the center of the 70 steering column will work in a 69 column? I am in the process of installing a rack and pinion and need to modify the column. I have my original column and acquired an incomplete 70 column. I don't want to cut my column but I also really want to install the 70 (different wiring and the electronics seem to be a one year wonder -- expensive and difficult to find).

Thank you,

Chuck

post-1432-0-39689100-1456165273.jpg

Remember, if you install a '70 steering column, you need the '70 (deluxe) instrument cluster too. The '70 has a notch in the woodgrain for the bigger '70 column, the '69 does not. I think the standard cluster is the same for '69-'70.

Edit: IIRC, the bottom shaft of the column slides out, so you can get a replacement for that part only. I modified my column for the TCP rack'n pinion.

I am pretty sure that the 1969 shaft assembly (at least the top part)  is different, due to the 1970 having the ignition switch on the column.  For sure, the top end of the 1970 column assembly has 2 totally different pieces than the 1969.  I think the 1970 upper shaft may have different snap ring locations (grooves cut in the shaft) due to the way the 1970 upper ignition housing is designed and held in place.  

MustangChuck it looks like you removed the rag joint flange off of your 1970 column shaft?    If you don't want to cut your 1969, I would pull the lower half of the shaft out of the 1969, and swap it with the 1970 piece, as the lower shaft slides up into the upper shaft.  It is only "held" in place by a small nylon button.   Then you can cut the 1970 lower shaft piece.  (I am not so sure the bottom half of those shafts is different anyway).   Anyway, hope that helps.

I have several 1970 column shafts if you need another one, PM me.

Vic

Just a comment - you aren't supposed to be able to separate the '70 shaft into 2 pieces - the nylon is supposed to hold them together and collapse on impact.  I think without the nylons you can actually pull the steering wheel up/out when the whole thing is assembled (sort of unnerving!).

Good point.  I will have to go and check my columns in the shop.  I was pretty sure you shouldn't be able to pull the steering wheel or upper shaft up, or out, as the upper shaft is locked into the steering column with the split ring that is located in the upper housing.  The whole upper steering column shaft is fixed to the dash with that huge bracket on the 1970s.   The lower part of the column tube is what should collapse in an accident, along with the inner shafts, as you have pointed out.   This is the same design that started with the 1968 model year.  But safety first, so I need not give any advice that could cause a safety issue.  I will take some pics and post.  Thanks, Rockhouse, great comment.