dlinebar

Upgrade to 3G alternator advice

Hello all,

I replace my alternator with a 1G 6 years ago and about 10000 miles later it bit the dust. I have added things like a stereo and fan and have eaten 2 batteries in that time so I want to upgrade to a 3G but need some advice. I think the Taurus 3G from some years is a perfect fit as far as bolting it in I think the wiring is fairly simple too but is the a clear install demo or instructions somewhere? Any advice. 

THANKS

Dan

Thanks,

After doing some more research I am thinking about the Jegs one wire alternator instead. I already converted my stock amp meter to a volt meter as the original was long dead and my stock wiring around the stock alternator leaves something to be desired. I figure I can clean up the wiring and simplify things with the one wire but I have a question. I read somewhere that there was an issue with the stock dash board lights if you did this, I cannot imaging that is true but wanted to know if there are any real drawbacks to going with a one wire. I was going to get the 100 amp unit.

Thoughts?

Well here's my opinion, the 1 wires built nowadays are better than they used to be, and very simple install. The 130amp 3g will give you close to 70amps at idle, don't know about the 1 wire you're looking at. The other thing I like is if your alt goes out you can get a 3g at any parts store. I'm not aware of dash light issues.

PS. Being the anal purest I am and having a severe allergy to "GM", I would never put a cheby based part on my Ford. But that's just me.

I'm happy with the small case 3G on my 69 Mach 1.  I initially installed the pulley from the original alternator and it occasionally have a small amount of belt slip.  I installed a larger diameter March pulley and the belt slip stopped.  The 3G alt I installed is only rated at 90 amps.  If you install something rated in the 130 amp range I would be a little concerned with the size of the charging wire.  If you look at late model cars with 130+ amp alternators they have a much larger charging wire than our older Mustangs. 

I too am not aware of any dash light issues.  Maybe if the car has an alternator warning light instead of an ammeter, there might be issues with the alternator warning light.  Only because the resistance value of the resistor wire in series with the alternator warning light is different for the different alternator types.

NOT MY THUMBNAILS

I too am not aware of any dash light issues.  Maybe if the car has an alternator warning light instead of an ammeter, their might be issues with the alternator warning light.  Only because the resistance value of the resistor wire in series with the alternator warning light is different for the different alternator types.

Yes your alternator light will stay on...