rwcstang

Fuel Neck Filler Mods?

Hi Doug.

I just put 3 tack welds around the outside. If I did it again I would probably drill 3 holes through the filler and plug weld it to the insert. That may look a bit neater .

On 4/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, Shep69 said:

Hi Doug.

I just put 3 tack welds around the outside. If I did it again I would probably drill 3 holes through the filler and plug weld it to the insert. That may look a bit neater .

That's how I envisioned doing it too and also wondered whether holes should be drilled first.   I'll have to bring a neck to my buddy that does a lot of TIG welding to see how he would do it.   To avoid re-plating or painting I was thinking a 1-2" wide band of heat shrink tubing around the area may be a way to pretty it back up and protect the bare steel where the plating or paint burned away.

Doug   

16 hours ago, Mike65 said:

Performed the filler neck mod on my 69 Coupe. Thanks for the instructions Doug.

Good to hear.   How close are you to getting your car on the road ??   From your build thread and other posts it sound like you are getting close !!    

I finally got my car out of storage this past weekend ... now I just got to burn the full tank of fuel in it so I can officially try the MOD out myself.   

Weather for next weekend by me does not look too promising at the moment though ... Thursday-Saturday Rain / Storms !!

Doug

3 hours ago, stangs-R-me said:

Good to hear.   How close are you to getting your car on the road ??   From your build thread and other posts it sound like you are getting close !!    

I finally got my car out of storage this past weekend ... now I just got to burn the full tank of fuel in it so I can officially try the MOD out myself.   

Weather for next weekend by me does not look too promising at the moment though ... Thursday-Saturday Rain / Storms !!

Doug

I am hoping to have it running by November this year. Money is the deciding factor. I still have to get the Fitech EFI, fuel tank w/EFI pump,  run fuel lines, install engine, install trans,  do all the electrical hook ups on the engine & trans, & add fluids. That is enough to keep me busy.

Just a quick chime in, a user from another mustang forum turned me onto this thread and I signed up on this forum specifically to contact Doug to purchase a filler neck.  I put a 22 gallon tank out of a '70 into my '67 coupe.  I bought the conversion neck with the insert already installed and basically ready to simply install.  Night and day better!!!  The neck slid right into place at both ends and installed just as expected.  I've been to the pump twice already since receiving it on Sat afternoon and both times, I put the nozzle in, locked it in at full throttle and stood back hoping for the best and both times it clicked off as it would on any modern vehicle without a drop of gas spilled!  Just to check I pulled the trigger both times and it put maybe another 1/4 gallon and then clicked back off.  Definitely full!  Just wanted to chime in that I had zero issues purchasing from Doug and the neck seems to have solved my typical puddle under the back of my Mustang while filling at the pump issue!

Thanks,

Khris

Just out of curiosity did it solve the spill-over issue too (when driving away)? I know if the pump doesn't stop soon enough when I drive away fuel actually spills out the back.

I added a vent line (tapping into the rubber connection between the filler neck and the tank) to help vent it,  and its made filling up sooooo much better (especially in CA with those pesky pressure gas nozzle things) 

its just a bulkhead fitting to a carb hose, and a charcoal filter at the end. 

JYAFy3X.jpg?1

I never have had an issue with mine spilling out the back when full on acceleration with my '67 coupe so I can't really comment on that but it seems like it would help.

My tank is vented from top of the tank as I have a drop in fuel pump setup for my EFI system that has a dedicated vent port on it.  Not sure if it'll flow full bore without that vent line in place or not...

Well it took me a while, but I finally burned my full tank of gas from last fall down enough to go to the gas station and try this thing out first hand.   Certainly did not help that I had my driver's seat out for rebuilding until early May, then was out of town for 4 weekends between then and now.

So …. put unleaded nozzle in and locked it in at 2nd from max flow as I normally do on all my modern cars and stood back.  

Pumped in 13+ gallons and nozzle shut off like it does on a modern car with absolutely no drama … I.E. any splash or even the slightest amount of fuel past the insert that I could see.  

Had only driven 106 miles, so obviously was not as full on last fill up, and probably has not been for many years.   Always figured it got around 10 MPG's so it will be interesting to see what it really gets now that I've got consistent shut-off at the pump.

As much as I dreaded filling this car up (before yesterday), I can now say this has got to be one of ... if not THE MOST SATISFYING RESULT(s) of ANY MOD I've ever done to this car !!

Doug 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, lanky said:

Just out of curiosity did it solve the spill-over issue too (when driving away)? I know if the pump doesn't stop soon enough when I drive away fuel actually spills out the back.

I'm sure having the insert in there helps a bit, but having a new neck and cap is even more important.   I went one step further and tested the cap & neck for leakage with water prior to installing.   Obviously blew it out real good with compressed air afterward then let it air dry for a few days before actually installing.

As I filled it likely fuller than it had been in years, I hammered on it a bit between the gas station and home and did not see or smell any gas around or below the cap when I got back home.   So I'm really pleased with that as well.

Doug 

Just a follow up on this thread.   I sold 21 insert kits and only two posted that they got them installed (Mike65 & Shep69), plus sirhk100 posted feedback on his install of my first to ship complete neck assembly.

I've since sold 21 complete neck assemblies … plus my own … for a total of 22.

As it has been almost 20 months since I shipped out all these insert kits, I figure there have to be a bunch more that have been installed.

Anyone else care to share install and/or usage stories ?? 

Thanks to all,

Doug

Hi stang-R-me.  I ordered and installed your insert.  It works very well.  One of my favorite mods.  People at the local show think I'm nuts when i say 'let me show you the fuel filler it's a neat trick'.  I used a punch to hold it in position then JB welded it.  It's held for 2 summers and looks as strong as when I put it in.

Hi, I bought one complete assembly for my 1969 Coupe and one complete assembly for my dad's 1966 Coupe. I've only filled mine up once but it worked great. No spilling and it shut off automatically. I did have some issues with it shutting off too early but I also had the nozzle in the highest flow setting.  Should not be an issue on the lower flow settings. I highly recommend this to everyone! It's so much easier to fill up with gas now.

Hey Doug @stangs-R-me, do you know if you have any California customers that have completed the mod? I finished mine today, (3 years from purchase?) and can't get the nozzle to either stay hooked in the tube, or keep from clicking off due to back splash. The insert is plug welded in the correct spot as per the instructions. I'm thinking the California nozzle with the retractable seal is keeping it from being inserted deep enough. My BMW has the stock door 1/2" closer to the cap. 

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Move to an other state?

I did laugh out loud.

Yep. I've got Hamilton Tx in my sights. But I've also got 3 grandkids under 13 I don't care to abandon just yet. 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, RPM said:

Hey Doug @stangs-R-me, do you know if you have any California customers that have completed the mod? I finished mine today, (3 years from purchase?) and can't get the nozzle to either stay hooked in the tube, or keep from clicking off due to back splash. The insert is plug welded in the correct spot as per the instructions. I'm thinking the California nozzle with the retractable seal is keeping it from being inserted deep enough. My BMW has the stock door 1/2" closer to the cap. 

Thoughts?

I had to CHANGE my dimensions a while back after finding out Cali (and a few other states) still uses Stage II emissions and the nozzles require the insert to be further up the neck.   The only ones customers have had issues with though was the '65-66 Scott Drake Zinc Plated version that had the insert located the furthest down the neck.

Attached is the updated dimension sheet (back side of the tool list doc), where I've moved all inserts as far up as possible while still leaving room to add a VENT above the insert in the '69 GT500 vent recall location.

Doug

Fuel Filler Insert Tool List-R5.pdf

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Doug, with your info I located a gas station that has pump handles that work. Thanks brother. 

That is great news Bob ... really hoped that it was only the "older short nozzle" style an installation at the original dimensions would have issues with.   

A sigh of relief really, as this further solidifies that the few '65-66 Scott Drake necks I did at the original dimensions (about 1" further down the neck than the others) are the only ones that will not work with most if not all Stage II Vapor Recovery nozzles.

Thanks again,

Doug 

On 11/20/2019 at 1:33 PM, stangs-R-me said:

Just a follow up on this thread.   I sold 21 insert kits and only two posted that they got them installed (Mike65 & Shep69), plus sirhk100 posted feedback on his install of my first to ship complete neck assembly.

I've since sold 21 complete neck assemblies … plus my own … for a total of 22.

As it has been almost 20 months since I shipped out all these insert kits, I figure there have to be a bunch more that have been installed.

Anyone else care to share install and/or usage stories ?? 

Thanks to all,

Doug

I ordered an insert but have not installed it yet.  Having too much fun driving to take it apart and work on it and my paint it already burned by the gas.  I am working on getting it repainted and may just buy a new neck assembly to keep the new paint protected.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:54 PM, TexasEd said:

I ordered an insert but have not installed it yet.  Having too much fun driving to take it apart and work on it and my paint it already burned by the gas.  I am working on getting it repainted and may just buy a new neck assembly to keep the new paint protected.

Since you have a '69, the Zinc Plated version is the way to go.   I did buy one of the painted '69 necks from Goodmark to check it out, but there is barely any cost savings over the zinc plated one from CJPP, so once that painted one sold I never ordered another.

I've got 3 of the '69 Zinc Plated one currently in stock.

Doug