det0326

1969 tanks inc. tank filler neck

Just something to keep in mind; many industries particularly those where the product is used around food or in the home have stopped using cadmium plated fasteners because of their toxicity. Instead we would use zinc, chrome, or black oxide coatings, and stainless fasteners.

Cadmium and its compounds are highly toxic and exposure to this metal is known to cause cancer and targets the body's cardiovascular, renal, gastrointestinal, neurological, reproductive, and respiratory systems. Requirements to protect workers from cadmium exposure are addressed in specific OSHA cadmium standards covering general industry (1910.1027), shipyards (1915.1027), construction (1926.1127) and agriculture (1928.1027).

Got the new 1970 gas tank neck today and unless they sent me the wrong one it is identical to the 1969. The package was clearly marked 1970 tho. By cutting about 2 inches off it will work OK because I had already cut the old to see. The only thing is you lose the bead at the bottom for the clamp. I think I am going to cut the 1970 and go with it. 

Dave

Actually after cutting about 2 inches off the 1970 tube I got to noticing some blisters on the coating inside the tube. The coating appeared to be coming loose so  what I did was walk over to the trash can and tossed it and used my old one. Should have listen to Rsanter (Bob) when he posted find a good used one and don't waste your money on a repop. I actually had 2 for a 69 the one I had that I was mocking up to cut as I said had some rust inside but I got to thinking that I left the original one connect to the old tank when I removed it. So I go out to my storage building and dig it out and there it was still connected to the tank by the rubber hose and it is in pretty decent shape. I have it all complete now I think so if anybody wants pictures of how I ran the lines on top to the pump,sender and vent let me know. Some don't like the lines exposed in the trunk area but I plan to put some sor of cover over all the plumbing and wires.

Dave 

Thanks Mike for the suggestion on replacing the bead I had thought of trying to borrow a tool to put the bead back on but my luck I would get it to big and it wouldn't go through the tail light panel hole. LOL  The way that thing is wedged in there it would probably take a bad rear end collision to pull it apart anyway.

Dave 

yep, I'd like pictures please Dave

Here is the pic's you requested.  Not professional by no means but it should get the job done.

pic 1.  pretty much self explanatory

pic 2.  is the vent tube  I couldn't get it all without crawling over in the car but it just goes up the trunk deck latch bracket                  higher than the filler tube makes a loop and back down through the floor.                

pic 3.  of the stub out that is right above the rear valance I plan to put a small filter of some kind to keep the bugs and debris            out.                    

post-16490-0-30914500-1455849841.jpg

post-16490-0-11123200-1455849918.jpg

post-16490-0-99465600-1455849977.jpg