det0326

1969 tanks inc. tank filler neck

I have a tanks inc fuel tank installed in my 69 and the original filler neck does not line up. I could probably cut an inch or two off the filler neck and force it to work but the tube is not in the best of shape and needs replacing anyway so I was just wondering if anybody knows of anything that would be a direct bolt on without modification. I found this one on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-67-68-Mustang-Large-22-Gallon-Gas-Fuel-Tank-Conversion-Filler-Neck-/261334798716?hash=item3cd8c4917c:m:mqTxvrcZ_-zx_JAnonbwIiw&vxp=mtr   that says for 1967 and 1968 anyone know the difference in the 68 verses 69 I know the shape of the tail light panel is different but is the filler tube different also?

I also checked tanks inc web site and didn't see anything that they offered either.

Thanks Dave

Oh and BTW I think the tanks inc tank is a copy of the 70 22 gallon tank. That is why I was looking for a 70 conversion tube, but i may be wrong.

Do not pay that much for a repo. I have several good used ones I could sell you for less.

I can see of I can spot one that looks like a 70 but that one you show is not going to work right for you

The other option is to buy a piece of U bend of the correct size and modify yours

Bob

thanks Bob, Yes I emailed this dude and his reply was he made these conversion pieces and asked me where I lived and said if I was in the Miami area he would use my car to mock one up free of charge and that the one in is listing would not work for my application. While that would have been a good deal i am 800 miles or so from there. So has of right now I really don't know what i need i don't even know if a 70 will work some say a 70 want work on the 69 tail light panel although just looking at them the flanges look the same as the 69. i'm confused so thats why I'm asking.

Thanks Dave

What exactly is not lining up.?

If you have the 22 gallon tank you can get a repro 70 filler neck.  under 30 dollars at Sacramento Mustang.  Likely same at many other vendors.

If it is the rubber hose, Tank inc have a selection of tubes which might work. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=104/category_id=62/mode=prod/prd104.htm

But, you will get more help with pics or a better description of the problem.

Thanks SA69mach  I have not seen those before and the 53c just might work.  I need to replace my filler neck anyway and really wondering what the difference between the 70 and 69. If the 70 is a little bit straighter than the 69 then it would possibly work but Mustang unlimited told me that the 70 won't work on the 69 tail light panel and looking at the pictures of each the flange looks the same . I am not sure though because i have never owned a 70.

Dave

I have a 70 and a 69, and the tail light panels are different.  70 is flat, the 69 is curved.  The flange shape must be different too.

I guess it depends on how damaged your 69 filler neck is, and where.  if the flange is in good shape, it might be a candidate for some trimming in length.  if the flange is badly damaged, then get a 69 re-pop and  you can still trim the length to suit.

The 22 gallon tank sits higher, so the filler neck is shorter, and the flange is shaped to fit the shape of the tail light panel.   

I had a 16 gallon tank in my 70 when I got it (California car)  so I changed to a 22 gallon tank and got the shorter 70 filler neck.  So, there is actually some variations in the 70 cars too.

det0360, when i switched to the tanks inc 16 gallon i try to use the 69 filler neck it bolted to the 70 tail lamp panel but the angle was to far off. so i went back to the 70 filler neck and used the fuel transfer hose ne-60 or ne 45 . cut to fit.  

I posted my last post before seeing a couple of the post so what do you guys think 70 or 69?  As I said I need to replace the neck anyway because the one I have is not bent or anything it just has rust inside the tube and which I understand it should be coated with zinc or lead or something for anti spark safety and the inside of mine the coating is pretty much gone and starting to rust.

Dave

I posted my last post before seeing a couple of the post so what do you guys think 70 or 69?  As I said I need to replace the neck anyway because the one I have is not bent or anything it just has rust inside the tube and which I understand it should be coated with zinc or lead or something for anti spark safety and the inside of mine the coating is pretty much gone and starting to rust.

Dave

Dave, read the recent post that prayers1 did in the EFI install thread. He says to go to the VMF forum and find the thread "My FiTech EFI upgrade thread (with pictures this time)"

This guy did a FiTech install on a 69 and used a Tanksinc tank. He had the same problem but found a filler tube for a 22 gallon tank that fit. He doesn't give details where he bought the filler neck, so it will take a little more digging. I sent a personal message so hopefully I get a response.

Ok Dave this is what the guy from VMF says:

I bought this one from CJPP. It was $26.35 but now $30.99. Could have been a sale. The fit was fine and was reasonably priced.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-filler-pipe-1970-1970/p/FFP4/

Thank you so much Mach1Driver for taking time to help me with this, I will get it on order.

Thanks Dave

If I understand the issue here, I have a 69 Mach ! which I purchased a 22 gal 1970 tank and filler from NPD which fit without issue. I don't know the brand of tank, but it was made in Canada.

post-5441-0-81090700-1455329556.jpg

det, if you don't have any joy with the re-pop filler neck, the conventional fix for that misalignment is to alter the angle of your oem filler neck.  You make a cut, high on the neck, half way through the tube, then bend  it to make the desired angle, then weld.  The kerf can be adjusted to suit the angle you want.  thicker kerf (cut) then more change.

You said it is rusty so I guess it is going to the sandblasting booth anyway....  It is an easy piece to weld, too.

det, if you don't have any joy with the re-pop filler neck, the conventional fix for that misalignment is to alter the angle of your oem filler neck.  You make a cut, high on the neck, half way through the tube, then bend  it to make the desired angle, then weld.  The kerf can be adjusted to suit the angle you want.  thicker kerf (cut) then more change.

You said it is rusty so I guess it is going to the sandblasting booth anyway....  It is an easy piece to weld, too.

Yes I had thought of slicing it and welding back in fact it is still marked for that but don't these necks have a coating on them to keep them from sparking when sticking the pump nozzle in the tube for refueling. I was afraid I would create a safety hazard. It appears that if about 2 inches was cut of the tube it would work but then you lose the bead for the hose clamp which probably would not really matter. So the 1970 from what I understand is a little shorter which may be the reason some are saying it will work better which is the one that Mach1Driver is referring to  above. I have it ordered so I will know next week and let everyone know the results. Thank you so much for your help.

Dave

SA69 after blasting how would you recommend refinishing it- powder coat? I've read you need to use a catalyzed alkyd base paint, whatever/wherever that is.

Yes I had thought of slicing it and welding back in fact it is still marked for that but don't these necks have a coating on them to keep them from sparking when sticking the pump nozzle in the tube for refueling. 

Dave

Dave, I believe the coating is just galvanize on the originals and paint on the repops (hopefully gasoline resistant).

If I understand the issue here, I have a 69 Mach ! which I purchased a 22 gal 1970 tank and filler from NPD which fit without issue. I don't know the brand of tank, but it was made in Canada.

Sorry Bob wasn't ignoring you I respect your opinion very much.  I'm not sure the tanks inc. tank is an exact copy of the 70 tank or not but I thought I had read that it is. I have a 1970 filler neck ordered for it now and should have next week. I hope it works.

Dave 

Don't worry about the coating too much and I have never heard of an issue with a rusty surface causing a potential,spark issue.

What I have done to recondition them is to send them in to be cad plated. That's the same stuff on the silver grade 3&5 bolts you get at the hardware store.

In Fresno there is a place called Commercial Electroplate that does it. For a 5 gal buckets of bolts and brackets it usually costs me about $50-$75 and everything comes out looking like new stuff

Bob