RobotMan

My Son Mike's 69 Mach 1 Restoration

10 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

I love that the young guy is learning all these skills.   I can see a father/son Mustang restoration business in the future...... nice work!

I appreciate that. Don’t think I would want to do this all the time for a living. When hobbies become work then all the fun goes away!

Can you take some more pictures of that bracing you made while you were installing the floor/trunk pans? I will have to do that too and Ive never seen how its supposed to be done, where to connect, welded or clamped...thanks

Great project so far.

4 hours ago, Viperpete said:

Can you take some more pictures of that bracing you made while you were installing the floor/trunk pans? I will have to do that too and Ive never seen how its supposed to be done, where to connect, welded or clamped...thanks

Great project so far.

I built the bracing because I had to completely replace the rear frame rails which happen to be the connection point for the rotisserie. However I will take more pics and post. I am on vacation until next weekend so it will be week after next before I can get pics. 

51 minutes ago, RobotMan said:

I built the bracing because I had to completely replace the rear frame rails which happen to be the connection point for the rotisserie. However I will take more pics and post. I am on vacation until next weekend so it will be week after next before I can get pics. 

Thankyou. My rear frame rails look ok but everything around them is rusted junk.

48 minutes ago, Viperpete said:

Thankyou. My rear frame rails look ok but everything around them is rusted junk.

How are you supporting the car during replacement of rusted parts?  Body cart? Rotisserie? Maybe on its own wheels?

15 hours ago, RobotMan said:

How are you supporting the car during replacement of rusted parts?  Body cart? Rotisserie? Maybe on its own wheels?

I have a lift in my garage. But I was planning on using a rotisserie. The car is driveable and just took it to my first Cars and Coffee! My wife has a 05 GT so it was cool to go together.

IMG_0633.jpg

I have a Max Jax lift as my ceiling is only 10 feet. Works well enough.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

Here are a couple pics so you can see what I am working with:

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Front frame rail has a nasty hole

IMG_1669.jpg

You can see that the floor pan is a mish-mosh and just screwed together. Its awful

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

My plan is to use a Mustangs to Fear long subframe with IFS and a watts 4 link rear end. I already have a 9" that needs a rebuild. I have been saving up money for the suspension/frame/brake parts but also trying to get the car driveable. Its a 302 with a 2bbl and non powered drum brakes all around. I completely rewired the car with an AAW kit and also rebuild the C4, and swapped out rear ends so the car would not leave me stranded (for a second time).

3 hours ago, Viperpete said:

I have a lift in my garage. But I was planning on using a rotisserie. The car is driveable and just took it to my first Cars and Coffee! My wife has a 05 GT so it was cool to go together.

IMG_0633.jpg

I have a Max Jax lift as my ceiling is only 10 feet. Works well enough.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

Here are a couple pics so you can see what I am working with:

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Front frame rail has a nasty hole

IMG_1669.jpg

You can see that the floor pan is a mish-mosh and just screwed together. Its awful

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

My plan is to use a Mustangs to Fear long subframe with IFS and a watts 4 link rear end. I already have a 9" that needs a rebuild. I have been saving up money for the suspension/frame/brake parts but also trying to get the car driveable. Its a 302 with a 2bbl and non powered drum brakes all around. I completely rewired the car with an AAW kit and also rebuild the C4, and swapped out rear ends so the car would not leave me stranded (for a second time).

Nice looking project.  The 2 cars I have worked on were much worse than yours so you should have no problem with it.  I do recommend building an extra support frame as I did if you plan on putting it on a rotisserie and cutting rear trunk pans etc. out of it.  The rear frame rails will move around without additional support.  I will post pics of my frame.  As you will see i cut holes in my quarters as they were garbage anyway, to help support the car.  I will post pics when I return from vacation.

39 minutes ago, mustangstofear said:

You might want to check out our new Watts link rear end,  it actually  connects to  our Subframe:)

I am planning on getting that and the full subframe from you guys at the same time. Can you please put the watts system on your website?

On 8/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, Viperpete said:

Great project so far.

See attached pics of support frame I built so I could replace rear frame rails and components in the back of car. Hope these help  

BE2FCD8C-7EE1-4913-9959-D18A67B76525.jpeg

3659974F-33E5-4103-95AE-ECE615C85648.jpeg

5C938575-3F04-4506-A534-454D09D0B303.jpeg

86661DCD-6494-4133-B3C6-AA971E94D1FE.jpeg

95C80A53-B705-4DAE-B8A1-34C4C7E431AB.jpeg

2 hours ago, Viperpete said:

Man... that's a lot of work... I'll definitely have to replace the trunk floor pan and the rockers are toast too

If you are replacing rockers definitely need to support the car even further as it will sag in my opinion. Also if I had it to do over, I would not put braces thru the gas tank hole as it would have been handy to be able to put the gas tank in while aligning the rear trunk area panels. I had to build a template instead. Just FYI.