RobotMan

My Son Mike's 69 Mach 1 Restoration

22 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

The fan spacer on the engine looks pretty long..?

It is the length called out in the assembly manual and the same as I previously used on my other sons car. Probably looks longer due to angle of picture. 

There is a nice write up on restoring the column and all the parts you might need to replace at http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot.com/2016/12/rebuilding-1969-mustang-non-tilt.html.

Typically all of the foam seals need to be ordered and maybe the main bearing. I was able to reuse mine.  I also replaced the plastic bearing.  Be careful during disassembly as one of the plastic bearings is not currently made as a reproduction that I know of.

8 hours ago, Angel said:

Is there a column rebuild kit of some sort? I have mine out and would like to replace any worn parts it may have. 

There is a nice write up on restoring the column and all the parts you might need to replace at http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot.com/2016/12/rebuilding-1969-mustang-non-tilt.html.

Typically all of the foam seals need to be ordered and maybe the main bearing. I was able to reuse mine.  I also replaced the plastic bearing.  Be careful during disassembly as one of the plastic bearings is not currently made as a reproduction that I know of.

Did the column rebuild in 2011 on mine ... wish I had that very well done 2016 write up to follow !!   

Bought all the seals from MCR, there were not even remnants of any of the originals.   

The lower plastic bearing was not being reproduced yet and mine was completely gone so I had to make something (cut out of a white PVC pipe coupling) to retain that foam seal in place.   Also had to add a small screw at the bottom to retain my custom lower plastic bearing / seal retainer, other wise it would have eventually slipped out the end of the tube.    

Other issue I had was play in the upper bearing and a new bearing & sleeve did not fix it.   The steering shaft itself was worn where it rides in the bearing (I'm guessing 150k miles of manual steering might do that).   I had to add some adhesive backed shim stock between the bearing and steering shaft surface to eliminate the play.   So there was nothing wrong with the bearing or the plastic sleeve it sits in ... 2 more parts I bought but did not need.

Doug 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:53 AM, RobotMan said:

Awesome! That will come in handy for myself and a lot of other people. Thank you. 

Installing the upper collar that contains the turn signal switch is tricky, as the "t-bolts" can move around and make it hard to capture the 'slots" in the top of the steering column tube.   I used some blue painters tape to hold the bolts in place while slowly pushing the top collar down.  If you've done this, you know what I mean.   I also use a bottom bushing when I rebuild them, as there is not one with the stock setup.  The steering shaft  "floats" in the inner tube.  This is what eventually kill your bearing.   I drilled out the ID of the Delrin bushing to 1", then hand filed it to a point where I had a slight interference fit, and the shaft rotated freely.  

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

10 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Nice.  How did you paint the silver on the vent edges?

I took and painted a hard piece of rubber with chrome paint and rolled the edges in it to keep from overlapping the sides like a brush would do. Most of the chrome was still there I just had to touch up a few edges.