RobotMan

My Son Mike's 69 Mach 1 Restoration

On 6/19/2019 at 6:48 PM, Machspeed said:

No doubt that young man is your son there, pops! Nice progress on the car. Looking forward to seeing it come together.  

FDE9BEB7-0CD5-41E6-94B9-220BD239A5A4.jpeg

I’ve been told that apple did not fall far from the tree!

Now this is a nice shop to have such a car in. A car stand on a floor lift. Wow. Never in my life seen that before. If it works! I just have a rotisserie. But thank god I have it. I'm too old to weld and work upside down and backward!

5 minutes ago, 70Mach1rb said:

Now this is a nice shop to have such a car in. A car stand on a floor lift. Wow. Never in my life seen that before. If it works! I just have a rotisserie. But thank god I have it. I'm too old to weld and work upside down and backward!

We did the majority of the work on a rotisserie. I moved it to the body cart because the ends of the car are not accessible and I sent it to the paint shop on the cart as well. I  use the lift mostly later when I want to work on car from underneath and not on rotisserie. I also am too old to roll around on the floor and weld upside down!

On 6/20/2019 at 3:48 AM, Machspeed said:

No doubt that young man is your son there, pops! Nice progress on the car. Looking forward to seeing it come together.  

FDE9BEB7-0CD5-41E6-94B9-220BD239A5A4.jpeg

Haha. Little doubt there with young Mike. the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree

Exciting day yesterday as we stopped by and got a first look at the car after paint on the way to drop my oldest son off at college. WOW!  What a nice job by Richard Vickers and his guys at Dark Forest.  Get to bring it home next week. 

3A5C488C-C740-4794-ACBE-533D68D4D8AE.jpeg

C49B749B-D8F0-448F-8543-1FB428DFCA22.jpeg

58066475-AC91-472A-B51E-881B6191DF52.jpeg

1DDA439C-0297-44CD-ADC6-3EA9AC720FEE.jpeg

D4002048-162E-4225-9E74-5419ACB6A836.jpeg

F87D790C-E0FF-4247-A995-D596B5953128.jpeg

9AB25DCF-4B7E-431E-85B2-EF871B72BB47.jpeg

8 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Looking good. Now comes the stressfull part; how to assemble without damaging the paint.

He was not that excited when I told him the first thing we have to do is take all bolted parts off and put them away wrapped up to protect the paint during assembly. 

Wow that turned out real nice … looks kinda dark for Acapulco Blue, but then overcast sky would do that.

Is that the factory color ??  

Went back in thread to answer my own question … YES !!

Doug

Edited by stangs-R-me

On 8/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, stangs-R-me said:

Wow that turned out real nice … looks kinda dark for Acapulco Blue, but then overcast sky would do that.

Is that the factory color ??  

Went back in thread to answer my own question … YES !!

Doug

Actually he ended up not liking the paint cards for Alcapulco blue due to being too light as you indicated.  He picked out Ultrasonic Blue. The car was originally Winter Blue. His blue is not an original Mach color. But I wanted him to own and love the color. 

On 8/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, RobotMan said:

Actually he ended up not liking the paint cards for Alcapulco blue due to being too light as you indicated.  He picked out Ultrasonic Blue. The car was originally Winter Blue. His blue is not an original Mach color. But I wanted him to own and love the color. 

My brother had a Winter Blue convertible ... it looked OK and I've seen pic's of Winter Blue Mach 1's and it looks better with all the black accents but don't think I could go with it.   Always thought Acapulco Blue was nice but saw a 1969 Mach 1 over the weekend in this color at the Sturgis Mustang Car Show and it seemed kinda dull. 

Saw a few Lime Gold cars at the show too (my cars original color) so I was able to show my wife & sons that vs. the Calypso Coral they've only known it as.   No '69's, but both a '67 & '68 Shelby and one looked to be original paint.    So imagining this color with Mach 1 black accents, I think it might be a sharper looking combo than either Winter or Acapulco Blue. 

Anyway ...  I think your son made a wise choice with the flashier blue !!

Doug