RobotMan

My Son Mike's 69 Mach 1 Restoration

As many members may have seen by now in another build thread, I have been restoring a Mach 1 with my oldest son Alex. That job is getting close to being done and has been an exciting, thrilling, and fulfilling process with my son for the last 2 yrs. Well, I am starting another 69 Mach 1 with my youngest son Mike. He is 12 yrs old and has been eagerly waiting his turn. That time has come!!! I have let him start disassembly as we are finishing the other car.

post-38321-0-61940600-1455064866.jpeg

Here is Mike setting in his car eager to get going.

post-38321-0-71034300-1455065016.jpeg

Here is Mike with welding gear on imitating dad.

post-38321-0-69442800-1455065095.jpeg

Mike removing the first bolt

post-38321-0-44821700-1455065418.jpeg

Mike and I after removing radiator

post-38321-0-03195200-1455065528.jpeg

Rear window removed!!!

post-38321-0-02336500-1455065635.jpeg

And the journey begins again!!!

More to come.

Awesome, absolutely awesome! Fantastic that you are backing it up with a second. I bet the wait was hard for Mike for it to be his turn but I bet that alone had some valuable lessons in it. What fantastic memories you and your family are building. Well done!

Do you need a new stepson? Absolutely fantastic! 'Ol Mike looks like quite the personality at 12. Cool cool story. I think Child Protective Services is at my door to arrest me. OK, you won.

I don't know about coolest dad but maybe craziest dad!!! Some people tell me I must be nuts taking on such big projects.

But what an exhilarating feeling seeing your kids so excited about accomplishing something and learning hard work pays off. We need more of that in today's society IMHO! Thanks for all the kind words and support from the forum.

Rick

But what an exhilarating feeling seeing your kids so excited about accomplishing something and learning hard work pays off. We need more of that in today's society IMHO! Thanks for all the kind words and support from the forum.

No truer words spoken than these. Your an inspiration to all the Dads here my friend.

No truer words spoken than these. Your an inspiration to all the Dads here my friend.

Appreciate that very much!!!

Oh the memories! Plenty of towels, gloves and clothing gets trashed after that. Is that house home in the background and your shop is detached? Cool neighborhood!

Yes that is our house. The shop is detached out back. Mike is already having fun just like his brother did.

I'm with Bob, that's a great photo!

And I know that before we know it, you'll be showing us a photo of the boys with both of their completed Mach 1's side by side. You work very fast, but I can see the motivation comes very easily when you are doing it with your kids.