Machspeed

Radiator Support Assembly Replacement

I need to replace my driver’s side fender apron and likely the radiator support assembly on my 69 Mach. I’ve searched the web and am not finding much, especially on the radiator support assembly. A good video would be nice, but a pictorial would be fine as well. Can someone advise?

Also, when does CJ Pony put on their big sheet metal sale?

Thanks,

John

Here's one for a 65, the 69-70 isn't much different. I will say he welded the apron from the wrong side, the plug weld holes should be on the apron, not the tower, so you weld to the thicker metal on the shock tower.

For the sheetmetal if you are looking for dynacorn, you can find better pricing then CJ, I picked one apron from restorationperformance.com and another off discount auto on eBay. For the support it looks like dynacorn only offers it with the crossmember now, if you don't need the crossmember Drake sells it without, and you can get that at Summit cheaper.

The Dynacorn radiator support is a bit heavier gauge .It is just as easy to replace the one with the cross brace as it is to do one with out ,may even be easier .It pretty much sets it self ,it simply goes between the rails .Take several measurements before you remove the old parts and it will be simple .

Thanks fellas. I will measure but isn't there also a schematic drawing for this? Seems I've seen something on this. I wrecked my car years ago and damaged the driver's side front apron and radiator support. I purchased an entire front end off a 69 coupe and had a reputable shop do the repair but things are noticeable in that repair. Also, I question some of the positioning of those panels, thus the note on the schematic.       

There is really only a couple of measurements you will need .The radiator support can only set in one place so if the front frame rails are not bent that is easy . The two front inner fender aprons line up perfectly with the front holes in the aprons and the radiator support so the measurements you really need are the length from the cowl to the front of the radiator support .

This is my car getting the whole front replaced. Notice how the car is set in a jig, before welding.

8553872989_95ac3ce1c9_b.jpg

8559900977_2c7b8334b8_b.jpg

8559902595_6d4e57ac20_b.jpg

10080d1255356984-1969-mach-1-engine-comp

I don't have my 1969 chassis book here at home, but I found this on google.

Nice Work Fvike.

MachSped,

I assume your going to do the repairs yourself?

Like ridge said the Apron lines up easily with the shock tower.

get measurements from where he stated and If it were me I would probably replace the apron 1st and weld it to the tower area and leave it unwelded at the core support, then maybe weld a small support brace from one apron to the other to set the distance apart and hold it all in place, then cut the support loose and stick the new one on and fit it into place.

Everyone has their own ways of doing it based on their knowledge, and tools at hand.

Ridge and Fvike have all kinds of cool tools and knowledge and can knock it out quick and accurate, and some of us have a good amount of tools and knowledge, but cant get it done near as quickly but can make it all fit together and hit all the critical dimensions but it might not be as pretty HaHa.

I just wish there were more folks in our area that did the kind of work Ridge and some of the others on here do so that I could go hang out and learn More.

Just do the best you can and measure 3 times and cut once.

Everyone has their own ways of doing it based on their knowledge, and tools at hand.

Ridge and Fvike have all kinds of cool tools and knowledge and can knock it out quick and accurate, and some of us have a good amount of tools and knowledge, but cant get it done near as quickly but can make it all fit together and hit all the critical dimensions but it might not be as pretty HaHa.

I would like to point out that I had a collision repair shop to do it. They have all the right tools and equipment. I like to say I got enough knowledge about cars in general to know when I should seek help, and not try to repair stuff myself. I would have used 3x the time, and gotten a 3x worse result if I had done it myself ;)

Hey fellas, thanks a ton. I have all the equipment and skills to fix it, just doing my homework before I start tearing things apart. And fvike, thanks buddy, your pictures tell me a lot. 

Now, best tool to cut out spot welds....lol? Been doing a little research and want thoughts from you guys.  

I picked up a Blair spotweld cutter from NPD, it's dbl sided so when one side gets dull you flip the blade over, works well for me. https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/spot_weld_cutter_hardened_by_blair-106724-1.html

I've used it to remove both front aprons, radiator support, and taillight panel. Still cuts great and haven't had to flip the blade over yet. Just need to be careful not to cut too deep.