Sign in to follow this  
JustAnOl'69

AOD Swap Trouble

So I'm having some issues with swapping my old FMX transmission to an AOD from a mid-80s Thunderbird. It was a struggle getting it in and sitting pretty, but now the transission itself is acting up. I triple checked the fluid (12 qts), tried my hand at tuning the TV cable, but it just won't go into overdrive/4th.

The car has an ok time going through gears 1,2, and 3, even though it shifts at wierd times, but nothing after that.

I bought myself an oil pressure tester gauge from Harbor Freight to get the TV cable right, but once I hooked it up (using an article from Hot Rod Magazine as instructons), the gauge read 0 psi, no matter how much I shifted around and revved the engine.

I am totally at a loss. Any ideas are appreciated.

1969 Mustang Grande, 1984 351w, Edelbrock carb, Lokar linkage, 80s T-Bird AOD

Hard to say without knowing some history on it. Do you know for sure that it was working OK when it was in the Thunderbird?  You said it was clean inside and out does this mean you removed the pan if so did you check the throttle valve to make sure it was not sticking or broken? I ask this because you said the shifts were weird. It still could be the TV adjustment and how it is connected by that I mean that the ratio between the TV arm on the tranny and the carb or throttle body which ever you are running needs to be pretty much 1 to 1, same length center to center. These TV cables can be a chore to get right sometimes.

Dave 

4th gear in an AOD bypasses the torque converter and is direct drive by the inner shaft of the gearbox. Is it a possibility this shaft has snapped or not engaged in its splines? When fitting the converter you have 3 sets of splines to engage not the usual 2 like in the c4 or fmx.