Jan

Cockpit ventilation

Hi,

When driving my 69 Sportsoof the air pressure in the cockpit builds up. This is quite annoying and the only thing to do is to open the window a bit. This is acceptable at low speeds but quite noisy at highway speeds.

I believe the 70 model has a “vent†at the bottom of the b-post on each side to let air escape.

I was wondering if anyone has done this mod on a 69 and what the result was.

Thanks

The '69 b-post looks to be the same as a '70, just without the opening. If originality is not a concern, you could probably make a template from a '70 and cut the opening in yours. Installing the grills might help relieve some of the pressure build-up. There must have been some factory provision for airflow in the '69's but I'm not sure how it works.

I always noticed how well he kick panel vents flow with the windows open and not so good with the windows closed. I'm with Jan, ford probably added the B-pillar vents in 70 to help the airflow from the kick panel vents.

For me it feels like the pressure rise works like a parachute putting increased drag on the car.

I found a pic of Allan Moffats 69 Trans Am Mustang which has two openings just in front of the deck lid which I presume is to release pressure. Also note the two bars holding the rear window in place.

Anyway I think I will make the opening in the b-post as next winters project.

post-13672-0-63668000-1454776468.jpeg

I always thought the '70 B-pillar vent was there to prevent rust in that area.

The vent would be on the other side of the door gasket, so I don't see how it will relive pressure in the cabin?

This will definitely work, and at the same time prevent water entering the trunk.

I always thought the '70 B-pillar vent was there to prevent rust in that area.

The vent would be on the other side of the door gasket, so I don't see how it will relive pressure in the cabin?

Fvike, the trunk also gets pressurised which presses air forward over the rear wheel well towards the b-post and escaping outside of the rubber door gasket.

This location is fairly well protected from the elements and together with the “grill†prevents water entering.

Barnett468, opening the rear vent windows is the same thing as opening the door window = noise.

When you think about it the only provision Ford make for air escape in 69 was the rubber “check valve†on the trunk drops just under Roger’s pipe.

I think Eddie Motorsports makes the only "replacement" to these vents and they are machined billet pieces.  I have always wondered why someone hasn't made decent repros of these after all these years.