coolcvi

windshield wipers

When I turn my windshield wipers on, they start and run just fine,  but, they will not turn off.  I have to remove the battery terminal and they will stop.  Then when I turn them back on the same thing happens.  They start and won't stop.  Help!!!!   Dan

There's also a switch of sorts in the wiper motor itself that might be bad. It's there so the wipers always stop in the down position. If it is bad, it may not be  "seeing" the down/parked position and therefore never stopping. Do they stop if you turn the ignition switch off?

I have tried 2 switches and both do the same.  Yes they do stop when you turn the ignition key off.  Sometimes they will stay on when you turn the ignition key back on, sometimes they will stay off.  If you disconnect the battery cable they will not start up until u turn on the wiper switch.  Dan

I suspect it's your wiper motor. There are 2 power wires going to the motor. One is switched through the wiper switch on the dash, the other is always hot but is switched inside the motor. The one inside the motor opens when the wipers are in the park position.

As long as your dash switch is ON, the motor will run. When you turn the dash switch off, the motor will still run until it hits the park position, where the internal switch opens, and it will stop. If you open up the motor, I bet you find your problem - a worn out or broken part involving the internal switch causing it to stay on all the time.