Sign in to follow this  
mrtinman

Restoring 1969 Mach 1 428 CJ

I bought this Mach 1 back in 1991 (best $5500 dollars i spent) .    Now me and my crew are going to try and do a full restore and be finished by June 1st.   I just found this web site and wow some great info on here. I have attached a few pictures.  Today is day 8 of the build.    Looking for advice on who to send the gauges to to be restored ?  and the question what about the rim blow steering wheel.

In stripping the car down I found no rust but the driver 1/4 panel had been hit bad enough I changed it and the inner fender.  The person who painted it before i got it did a great job with body filler I did not know it was damaged until I started stripping.

The 4th picture I attached is markings on the trunk i found when I chemical stripped it,  I have never seen that before but I guess its not that uncommon.  I understand it is where the steel came from.

Hope you enjoy the pictures,  I'm glad I found your web site !  

Thanks for letting me post

Cheers

Trace

post-45216-0-52969800-1453954981.jpg

post-45216-0-89400700-1453955086.jpg

post-45216-0-00702100-1453955101.jpg

post-45216-0-83338300-1453955117.jpg

post-45216-0-28015800-1453955136.jpg

post-45216-0-08031100-1453955569.jpg

Welcome to our little world Trace! That $5,500 was a heck of a deal, even in 91. What color will you paint it? It looks to me the original was maybe Silver Jade?

No idea on a gauge restorer, and I believe Rimblow Buddy has been used by members here and does top shelf work. A few folks had done the wheels themselves. What shape is the FE in? Are you planning a rebuild on it?

My last and required question is where the heck do you live?

I just got my gauges repaired/recalibrated by the Tachman. Turn around was about 2 weeks. Also, sent my steering wheel to the Rimblow buddy. It is on its way back as we speak. He is the only one that replicates the wood grain texture in the wheel. I will be posted pictures on my Aquarius post . Check it out.

Nice find by the way!

Dave

Welcome to our little world Trace! That $5,500 was a heck of a deal, even in 91. What color will you paint it? It looks to me the original was maybe Silver Jade?No idea on a gauge restorer, and I believe Rimblow Buddy has been used by members here and does top shelf work. A few folks had done the wheels themselves. What shape is the FE in? Are you planning a rebuild on it?My last and required question is where the heck do you live?

Yes it was silver jade from the factory , I really like the color so I'm going back with it , FE is in good shape I raced it back I'm the 90's when I first got it (100,000) miles on car 14.01 to 13.99 depending on corrected altitude racing in Spokane Washington.

My build concept is stock appearing car ( I won't even put headers on , my engine guys not too happy about that) but will put a stroker kit in the FE and do a lot of port work to the intake the headset in the exhaust manifold. My best friend has a 73 road runner ( 11.70 et 1/4'mile he can get more out but won't put a roll bar in car, and I won't either. ). He is rebuilding his engine my goal is to out run him.

It's a ford against Mopar run offf's we will have that is why the tight time line in the restore. His is a show car but driver , that is what I'm shooting for also, i'm not gonna put the car on a rotisserie, but will have it raised up in the undercarriage soda blasted so I can paint it.

I live on the east side of Washington state on idaho boarder our valley gets very little rain lucky rust free cars can be found in area .

Have a great night

Trace

I just got my gauges repaired/recalibrated by the Tachman. Turn around was about 2 weeks. Also, sent my steering wheel to the Rimblow buddy. It is on its way back as we speak. He is the only one that replicates the wood grain texture in the wheel. I will be posted pictures on my Aquarius post . Check it out.

Nice find by the way!

Dave

Thanks for the advise !!! If you don't mind I will pick your Brain about some of the companies to use for interior parts etc.

Thanks much !

Trace

Side note , I know wrong spot and fourm, I have a 1973 granda coupe q code , tilt wheel , factory tach for sale, . It a hunk of junk, but with the $$ spending on this rebuild might be good time to part with it ... Funny story why I bought the car , I raced on that tv show pinks on the speed channel. We we told that they were going to have a season where past winners race for cars. Thought that would be a good build but the show is off the air now.. ( season 2 won 2 car, I was racimg a 1965 Galaxie ) a good friend of mine bought it and has been racing it but this last year he had health problems and had organ transplant so his racing days are over, he is selling that car and it has some tv Heritage (if your in to that kind of thing)

Sorry for getting off this forums subject,

Have a good night
Trace