Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

Fuel Line Leak

I have a small drip leak at the connection going into the fuel pump. It is a stainless steel threaded connection with a flared end on tube. I have it overly tight at this point. Any tricks or ideas to seal this joint? Thanks for chiming in.

Rick

I've had that issue many times at the inverted flare fittings on Holley carbs.  Small leaks past the flare not the threads.  At least with mine, the flares looked fine and it turned out there was so much friction within the thread engagement the fittings were not tight enough.  I put a small film of Teflon paste on the threads and the leaks stopped.  Auto parts stores have Teflon paste that is more suited for automotive use than the Teflon paste from home improvement stores.  I've used both successfully but the automotive stuff seems to lubricate better and be more suitable for threads on fuel fittings.

I've never seen those copper washers.  I like them..

I suggest you loosen and tighten the fitting more than several times.  Keep track of where the nut stops after each tightening.  I think you will see that the fitting is traveling further with each re-tightening.  Stainless steel brake and fuel lines are notorious for not seating on the first try.  I like the looks of those copper seats to.  Brian