Sign in to follow this  
RPM

69 Clock Teardown Help Needed

I was able to clean the points on the clock and get it running. I located a silver clock face to go along with my new Auto Meter gauges. I'm flummoxed at removing the lower knob which sets the time. I really don't care to break it trying my luck. Does anyone have info on this R & I process. Thaaaanks.

post-5441-0-37726300-1453186249.jpg

The lower knob - the time setting knob- has a threaded rod holding the knob on.  Some needle nose pliers with a soft jaw covering onto the shaft, and then unscrew the knob. 

Undo the three(?) small screws holding the 'cup' to the round lens assembly.

At that point the clock housing and movement will pull clear from the housing IIRC.

The lower knob - the time setting knob- has a threaded rod holding the knob on.  Some needle nose pliers with a soft jaw covering onto the shaft, and then unscrew the knob. 

Undo the three(?) small screws holding the 'cup' to the round lens assembly.

At that point the clock housing and movement will pull clear from the housing IIRC.

Exactly what I had done. The knob will unscrew from the shaft with some effort.

Cool cool cool! Thanks guys, very much appreciated. Did y'all read this info somewhere, or learn by trial and error? I've almost learned not to force stuff till it breaks. One youtube vid I found last night was a 2 part vid that showed some yahoo's clock running for 45 seconds, and the 2nd vid running for 2 minutes. That's all, just running. Pretty damn useless. Thanks again.

you may have to pull the know out to expose the shaft . . if so, put a few layers of masking tape on the plastic to protect it from the pliers then pull it out and grab it with the pliers . . i usually have to put the pliers directly on the shatf to keep it from turning and the knob may take a lot of force to turn.

just make sure the shaft is not turning as you turn the knob, otherwise, it may produce undesireable results.

Thanks barnett, but that answer may be moot. My son asked me how does one apply a flat decal to a convex surface? Beats the hell out of me Lieutenant. I guess that should've been my first question. Has anyone put a new decal on the convex clock surface?

Thanks barnett, but that answer may be moot. My son asked me how does one apply a flat decal to a convex surface? Beats the hell out of me Lieutenant. I guess that should've been my first question. Has anyone put a new decal on the convex clock surface?

ummm...wait a minute . . are you doing this so you install a decal with new numbers on it etc?

the clock face itself is flat but the time hands are pressed on.

If the dials are pressed on, can they be pried off without causing damage?

The center printed ring on my clock is 2-3/4" diameter and on a flat surface. The outer markings are at a 3-3/4" diameter and in the curved convex area. My new decal has the same dimensions. Still don't know how the decal will conform to the compound curve.

Edit: Since Pakrat is absent, and figured I'm not the only one who misses him, thought I'd leave the attachments which magically appeared.

post-5441-0-40253500-1453264163.jpg

post-5441-0-28555400-1453264176.jpg

post-5441-0-41660200-1453264183.jpg

post-5441-0-24448400-1453264198.jpg

ok, got ya . . that is concave and the decal will likely wrinkle and its easy t damage the mechanism removing or replacing the hands.

to prevent wrinkles you would need to stick the outside first then push the inside down which will stretch it . . if  you heat it lightly with a hair dryer on low after the outside is stuck down, it will help.

did the decal not come with instructions?

NO WARRANTEES OR GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED