prayers1

Where did you mount your MSD Ignition Control Box

I gearing towards an EFI set up and one of the things I want to do first is change my Mallory Unilite to a MSD 8577 Magnetic Dist.
The MSD 8577 needs a Ignition Controller to run, so I got the MSD 6A.  I didn't need the 6AL w/ the rev limiter since I have an automatic and hopefully won't miss any gears.

I'd like to your opinion on where you guys mounted your Ignition Controller (IC).  I recall Buckeye mounted his under the dash, but his thread is soooooo long it's hard to find.

If you can, post pictures and explain how you did it.

Thanks to all!!

First if its in your budget I would spend the little extra and get the 6AL.  Or like I did the 6ALN.  The 6ALN was described as the electronics being water proof, double potted for more vibration resistance, and it uses weatherpack electrical connectors.  It's also NASCAR approved but that doesn't do us any good.

Anyway, I mounted mine in the engine compartment on the drivers side inner fender between the shock tower and the radiator support.  I used the rubber vibration isolators that came with it.  They get warm and if you read the instructions it should be somewhere that gets some air flow.  I know you like clean installs but under the dash wouldn't be my first choice.  No air flow and might be too confined for radiant heat to escape the vicinity.

If its in your budget I'd suggest getting the Cap-Adapt and larger dist. cap and rotor setup for that distributor.  I've run both the small diameter cap and rotor and large diameter cap and rotor.  I noticed the terminals on the small diameter caps corrode much faster than the large diameter caps.  I think it's partly related to the smaller air volume inside the small caps ionizes more than in the large diameter caps.

I Googled, 1969 Mustang MSD controller and found one of Buckeyes responses with a picture showing that he welded some nuts underneath the cowl inside the dash and hung the IC.

I was thinking what about the pass apron below the solenoid, but just on top of the frame rail.

I show the car, so I trying to hide it somewhat.

yes mine is mounted underdash with welded studs.  although i'm running a 6al-2 which i believe is smaller than a 6A.

it's in that location so i can access the rev limiters (of course didn't want to look at it in the engine compartment for that build).

if it wasn't for that, i would have mounted it to the dash, just above the radio (under the dash pad).  

i would be shocked if it's hotter within the interior/underdash of my car as compared to the engine compartment in proximity of the headers, radiator, etc on a hot day sitting in traffic, idling and not moving. 

if it is that hot within my car, i don't want to be in it.

on my current project, i still plan to mount one underdash.

wires were all routed redundant and through a connector in the firewall. 

heavy power wires were wrapped within the main harness in the engine bay and terminated at the battery side of the relay.

pickup wires were twisted (can't remember if i had twisted the coil wires) and routed with the other sensor wires on the engine.

My preference was to keep the MSD wiring as a separate harness and not wrap it inside the car's existing wiring harness.  The thought was if the box ever needs to be relocated rerouting the wiring would be easier.  With the MSD wiring wrapped into the car's harness the options are, unwrap the harness, or cut the wires and leave them inside the harness.  Both of those are less appealing to me than setting it up as a separate harness. 

The Cap-Adapt and larger dist. might not fit with my Blue Thunder Manifold and Shaker Scoop.

Is it possible to post a few pics of your install?

Prayers1, With my shaker, I had to use a ball peen hammer on the air cleaner base and expand the notch that is there for the distributor to accept the larger MSD dist. cap.   The 6AL unit is drivers side between cowl inner fender like 69Mach1 mounted his  " I mounted mine in the engine compartment on the drivers side inner fender between the shock tower and the radiator support" 

Going to ask again since we are on the topic.....isn't pertronix an alternative to the MSD system? I thought the equivalent of the MSD box could now be hidden under the distributer cap with the pertronix setup. If it's not same, what's the difference?

Raven R Code- Sorry but I  don't have an answer.

In my case, I'm changing from a Mallory Unilite vac advance to a MSD 8577 magnetic Billet w/no vac adv and is capable to lock out.

I couldn't use the Mallory on the FiTech, but I can with the MSD since the TBI will control timing.

As for the MSD Ignition Control box, I have to have it to run the MSD Dist. I decided to mount it behind the left headlight w/in the engine compartment.

Hmmm....ok. It's just that someone mentioned Pertronix to me a while back and said It was the same thing as MSD but much easier to conceal. I just wanted to make sure what you guys are talking about is related to what I heard . Maybe someone can chime in?

any reason to avoid the box altogether and run an MSD ready to run dizzy? I haven't run a box with mine and have no issues...and no box.

this is only speculation, but the box probably provides the multiple spark capability and probably has more drive for a coil as compared to a ready to run.

Going to ask again since we are on the topic.....isn't pertronix an alternative to the MSD system? I thought the equivalent of the MSD box could now be hidden under the distributer cap with the pertronix setup. If it's not same, what's the difference?

I think that is comparing apples and oranges.  I don't know much about Pertronix but it seems that is simply replacing the points with a magnetic trigger.  The main feature of an MSD control box is they fire a spark plug multiple times for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation instead of just once.  The MSD box also controls the voltage driving the coil.  Look at MSD's website if you're interested in some the their features.

I mounted my 6 box in frt of the battery on rt side. I slid the battery tray back slightly and used a plastic license plate to cut shield to keep any water from hitting back side of box and painted it engine compartment color. Only thing visible is the top of box.

I think that is comparing apples and oranges.  I don't know much about Pertronix but it seems that is simply replacing the points with a magnetic trigger.  The main feature of an MSD control box is they fire a spark plug multiple times for 20 degrees of crankshaft rotation instead of just once.  The MSD box also controls the voltage driving the coil.  Look at MSD's website if you're interested in some the their features.

NOT MY THUMBNAILS!

Pertronix 1 replaces the points, 2 also plays with the advance, and 3 is MSD, but I believe prayers1 is also thinking about EFI, and since Pertronix 3 doesn't have a tach output the EFI wouldn't get a clear tach signal and thus not operate properly.

I am also currently installing an MSD box and distributor.

I have relocated the battery to the trunk. I have mounted the MSD box together with the control unit for the electric fan on the battery tray. Then I have built a steel box the same size as the battery on top of which I will put a fake battery top. I will have battery leads on the “battery†so it will take a very trained eye to see its all fake. I also have holes on the back side of the box and in the front for ventilation.

post-13672-0-60283100-1454059142.jpgpost-13672-0-95057700-1454059196.jpg

Jan, very cool idea.  I prefer Crane ignition boxes and components.  I located mine on the driver side inner fender to keep the trigger wire short for low loss.  My crane box has been in my car for many years (6-10) with no problems.