MikeStang

Power Tour 2016

Well the dates and Routes have been released and registration is open.

I will be signing up today and am planning on trying to make the Long Haul Club for my very first Power Tour.

It will end up being about 2,000 miles round trip for me :-)

I ffigure with the tour starting in my back yard and the 1st 3 legs being in Louisiana and Texas this will be my best chance of making it ALL the way

Is anyone else doing the tour?

I have 2 other friends who are Joining me for at least 2 legs of the run.

I just saw the route yesterday.  Unfortunately it's a little to far for me as I still need to break in and tune the new motor (since the last one imploded during last years PT).  But I recommend anyone who can go does go.  The most fun I've had in a long time, even with the car self destructing.  Everyone on the tour is great and you see things you don't normally see at other shows.

I am thinking about going to Summer Nationals in Milwaukee though.  I've started to build my 2016 Car Show calendar... Dreaming of warm weather already.

i have to say i've been watching youtube videos of the tour and pretty excited about it. Looks like a lot of low speed driving though which means ill have to get my electric fans wired up and on par before i go. 

That would be important.  Sometimes the lines into venues get long and you idle for quite some time.  Also last year we went through Chicago land with a TON of stop and go traffic (also watch out for the @$$clowns cutting you off all the time, not a lot of respect for old cars).  The tour is a test on a lot of cars (mine failed).  But even with the troubles it was so worth it.  I went with a buddy of mine and we could stop looking at everything and talking to great people.  We were so tired at the end of everyday.  But yes I would say make sure your car is ready for some days of hard driving.  There are some places where you will get to go fast.  In fact it's very possible my motor problems were caused trying to keep up with a vette in southern Illinois.

this year there would have to be highways with the routes or it would take a year to get from Dallas to OKC going the back way. so i have new brakes, tires, engine, trans and suspension so hopefully im good. just wondering what others bring for tools and supplies. what do yall do to get ready? the most ive ever gone was about 1.5 hours one way non stop but that was all highway. no issues but this is a little different. 

I just saw the rout too and seriously considering it! I know my wife wants to go to Pennsylvania this summer though. I have a conference in June id have to check dates on.

I could pick it up in Houston. I'll need to see if I can get the cooling system under control though. Driving through Texas in the heat of June with NO AC also sounds like fun.

trinity: im there with ya with no AC in a convertible. Im thinking that leaving early enough in the morning will help out... and at least its not in Aug/Sept. ive started a thread on VMF about this and there is a few guys coming from San Antonio/Austin that are going. were going from Dallas to OKC to Kansas. if weather and everything else is good, we'll continue on. but judging by your vehicle set up you have listed, should be a comfortable ride. 

I'mout. I just realized this is the same week my work is sending me to the national NFPA conference in Las Vegas. That's ok though, I'm not really ready. I need to work on my cooling system and am planning to start a coil over front end suspension project. I'll just wait for the next one that starts close. I'll have to swing by VMF....its been a long time since i showed my face around there....pictures....we'll need pictures ;).