Very nice read with good detailed pictures.  This will help a lot to who ever wants to add AC w/ easy to follow captions.

I see you also bought yourself another X-Mas present, stereo :)

Thanks for taking the time to make this happen!

Well I thought I was going to finish up the engine side today but it was cold so I got a late start and I ended up buttoning up the dash and finish the radio install on putting the dash back together vintage air said that the glovebox would fit but I had to modify it a little you don't need to buy the AC box which is thinner but just shave a little off the original and it will close.  I used a Dremel with a sanding wheel so I know in the pic it looks nasty but its on the backside never to be seen unless you drop the box out.  So you just need to shave off the little lip on the left side from the corner to the almost a little more then a 1/4 way down.

post-43529-0-62646700-1454902492.jpg

the dash put back together

post-43529-0-99389900-1454902507.jpgpost-43529-0-78139800-1454902511.jpg 

and the radio installed (my daughter is very happy about this)  Also don't mind the mess I need to vacuum and dust the whole car there is metal shavings and plastic dust everywhere

post-43529-0-46652600-1454902774.jpgpost-43529-0-96574000-1454902777.jpgpost-43529-0-42450800-1454902781.jpg

Hey folks its been a few days since last update well I have not finished it yet.  I had what seemed to be a short or a bad ground after putting everything back together on the dash.  Of course it has to happen that way right!!  Well tracing every wire made sure all grounds were good and tight I found that one of the micro pins on the main harness was just barley making contact.

post-43529-0-20840500-1455251663.jpg

I pushed it back into the harness good and tight and low and behold we had liftoff (again).  I grabbed my wife's hot glue gun and made sure all wires in the harness were all the way in place and hot glued them into the harness so they don't decide to jump out again.  Then I went to mount the compressor to realize the hoses need to be mocked up cut and the ends needed to be crimped on.  No big deal right I figured I could get a cheap crimper from a store like harbor freight or do a tool loaner from an auto parts store.  NOPE these take a special crimp and the tool runs about $200-$900.  Where the higher end model works like a jack and has a hydraulic pump that puts a crazy 6 crimp on these hoses.  Great now I have to find a hydraulic hose shop that will crimp them for me.  I made a few calls and found a guy locally that will do them all for $20.  Then I found an AC shop that will evacuate the system and charge it with the freon for $75.00.  The vacuum pump would run about $100-$150 and the gauges are $60 and the freon is about $40. so to do this myself would run over $200 then I have these tools that I might use again maybe 5-10 years from now So thats where Im at need to install the compressor mock up the hoses get them crimped and then charge the system.  Hopefully I can have the hoses done next week and the compressor mounted next week then get it charged the following week.  This weekend is shot the honey do list is growing and I'm laying wood floors and stairs in the house this weekend so car is put on hold.

Thanks forthe project write up.

Question 2:

Do you think the center dash vents would fit where the stock radio is located with a fabricated front plate ?

I ask because I am considering putting a doubly din radio/nav unit in the middle of yhe dash pad.

WHY did you chose Vintage Air over a few of the other aftermarket a/c pro for ucts ?

Thanks you answers will be helpful to my rebuild.

Tom

I considered that placement also the kit also comes with mounting pods that sit on the bottom of the dash by drivers right leg and pass left leg I personally didn't like them I felt they were alittle to flimsy.  you might not need to fab anything the kit came with a front plate and a backing plate they really wanted me to cut out the complete dash a large rectangle but I had a dash pad that acted like the faceplate.  Later on I might swap out the dash for an AC dash and use an OEM style register.  I choose the vintage air because talking with a few guys in my local club that did these installs before and a few shops they recommend it for its complete kit and easier read instructions.  Plus the price I got was a big factor.  If i were to use the radio area And put a double din in the center dash I would use something like a 2 in gauge pod and mount the registers in them on the bottom center of the dash, old radio area I would mount gauges.  I'm going to tell you when you go to cut the dash in the middle be prepared for thick metal under all the foam right at the curve of the dash.  If its a non ac car the area where the OEM register is filled in with foam around it is steel plate.  good luck like to see pics when your done.

Hello all I didn't forget or give up but I finally finished the honey do list last weekend removed old carpet and laid wood floors and stairs (non mustang related lol so you guys don't think I'm fibbing)

post-43529-0-97206300-1456879573.jpgpost-43529-0-42301900-1456879600.jpgpost-43529-0-18681500-1456879617.jpg

So now back on topic  I pulled the PS pump cleaned it and touched up the paint and painted the brackets which if you have a PS car you need the modified PS bracket and a pulley puller to remove old bracket and install the new bracket(s)

post-43529-0-33204700-1456879877.jpgpost-43529-0-78939300-1456879865.jpgpost-43529-0-55143200-1456879734.jpgpost-43529-0-73483700-1456879869.jpg

Then to put all the pieces back on with the new AC compressor I dry fitted the hoses and brought them today to the hydraulic shop and had them crimped brought them home after work and ran the AC hoses locked them down.  Thursday I plan to go the Advanced Auto and borrow the vacuum pump and gauges which they have on the loan a tool program connect the drier and pressure switch and I'm going to start vacuuming the system Thursday night and when I get home Friday after work charge it with the freon and get ready to need gloves and a jacket LOL

post-43529-0-64716500-1456880135.jpgpost-43529-0-13930700-1456880139.jpgpost-43529-0-13413500-1456880143.jpgpost-43529-0-40649900-1456880147.jpgpost-43529-0-38370000-1456880151.jpgpost-43529-0-54615600-1456880155.jpg

Thanks I'm a jack of all trades master of none stairs were a PIA walls were wavey as hell nothing was square every damn one was a different cut or angle same with the floor and the angles way to many cuts.

Great thought I would have AC this weekend and I have had another issue veer it head and this is why I don't play the lottery My luck sucks. I connected the  dryer and pressure switch connected the high side and low side on the gauges and ran the vacuum for a few hours.

post-43529-0-96454700-1457189572.jpgpost-43529-0-14508800-1457189439.jpgpost-43529-0-73560000-1457189442.jpgpost-43529-0-44336500-1457189581.jpgpost-43529-0-72284800-1457189577.jpg

I went to work Friday came home and the vacuum held perfectly no leakspost-43529-0-18973400-1457189585.jpg

So I go to add the gas to the system and dammit to hell it only took a half of the first can and the pressure rose on both high and low to 100psi and with the compressor clutch engaged the low side never drew down great now what could be the issue 

post-43529-0-20167800-1457189435.jpgpost-43529-0-23514900-1457189450.jpg

I called my father who is an licensed AC installer he walk me through the issue and believes I now have a stuck valve(s) in the compressor with it being Friday night going onto the weekend I now have to wait till Monday to call vintage air to hopefully get another compressor sent to me so I can start all over again.

So here it is 930 pm Friday night Im pissed what do I do well wife is at work so I climb into the attic and cut a hole in the ceiling run some electric and install a shower light LOL (I don't drink and I have 2 young kids at home so I have to vent some way)  Wife was happy and surprised when she got home from work.      Anyways Ill keep this going until Im wearing gloves and a scarf in the drivers seat Thanks for letting me ramble

post-43529-0-81320500-1457190374.jpg

post-43529-0-83809700-1457189445.jpg

I noticed that your compressor has 2v pulley but your ganging it up with PS pump pulley.....was this how factory did it ?

I just bought 3v pulleys for my crank & WP at the recommendation of the pulley manufacturer for better grab on all the accessories.

I'm using a Borgeston Power steering box & pump along with 1 wire 140 amp alternator so I wasn't sure how the future Classic or Vintage air compressor would hook up.

Tom

The original AC set up is 3 belts but my car was a non factory AC PS car so it had a 2 groove crank and vintage air makes a bracket kit to connect the new compressor which is a Sudan and no idler pulley I believe the OEM was a York style with an idler pulley post-43529-0-17464100-1457240440.gif

If it was up to me and I had the extra funds I would go to a single serpentine belt but the 2 belts seem to be working just fine for now

So I think this is it the final last update thanks to tech support at vintage air for their help I disconnected the gauges and all the hoses to find that the low pressure hose had an O-Ring that collapsed and puckered tighter then a virgin on prom night stopping the flow of gas. 

post-43529-0-72236600-1457404186.jpg 

Its hard to make out but I replaced the O-Ring and the car took a charge high side was perfect at 250psi and the lower side steady at 24psi and the center vent was at 37 degrees.

post-43529-0-06066000-1457404190.jpg

That's what I get for borrowing gauges from the auto store the crap is used and abused I'm now thinking that saving $50 might have not been worth it LOL  but the feeling of doing the whole thing from start to finish is a huge reward.

Thanks to phone support from my father and the staff at Vintage Air.  Bring on Summer 

Awesome! I want to know the impact on the cooling system once it heats up. This is on my list of to do's on my car. I already have an AC lower dash.

Great job! Very good write up. How about a "lessons learned" post for those looking to take on a similar project?

When I go to drive I'll get he full impact but while charging at around 13-1500 rpm the dual fans and larger radiator kept it at about 170 degrees so I don't think driving will change it to much now the big test is middle of summer here in Florida

@Trinitys when the weather warms up I'll let you know how the radiator handles it. Also I would if I was you if you have the lower portion from an AC car find an AC dash and then call them and order your parts telling them it's an non AC car but you have an AC dash so they will send you the retro kit but send you the proper vents so you wouldn't need to cut or modify the dash in anyway good luck

i'm interested because our humidity levels are pretty much the same here in Houston. Great work!

So I decided today to run the car to work 35 min commute about 60mph al the way few lights stayed very cold and engine temp never spiked the radiator did its thing

post-43529-0-29999100-1457727667.jpeg

Looking good! I've been researching radiator/electric fan combos recently. I know my car gets hot. Older 20" stock style radiator.

At some point, I'll be installing either this or classic auto air. I have a spare AC lower dash that will get installed and the center dash vent. When I get a new dash pad, I'll install an AC dash. Then when I install the system, my plan is to use all factory vents. Based on what you did on yours, you think that would work well?

Looking good! I've been researching radiator/electric fan combos recently. I know my car gets hot. Older 20" stock style radiator.

At some point, I'll be installing either this or classic auto air. I have a spare AC lower dash that will get installed and the center dash vent. When I get a new dash pad, I'll install an AC dash. Then when I install the system, my plan is to use all factory vents. Based on what you did on yours, you think that would work well?

I had the 20" core also. This is the one I bought https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181902186083 I needed to add the bottom saddles but it dropped right in vintage air makes all the adapters to use the factory registers I wish I had that I might later swap my dash pad out for a factory AC one if I can find the register so it's more OEM looking the warranty is nice also with vintage air 3 years and I paid an extra $40 for an extra 2 years

I know this post is a few months old now, but now that we're in the dead of summer, how is the AC working out?

Sorry I missed your question but the car is running very nice. I had to slide some insulation in the roof headliner with my black vinyl top my head was still warm. After sliding the insulation up it was perfect. When I do hit a lot of traffic the temp rises and and hits about 205 what I believe this issue is I'm running a 160 thermostat so with the larger radiator I need to be running a 180 so the coolant has time to cool instead of not spending enough to time in the radiator

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:21 PM, jerrycordova93 said:

So what's the verdict with drilling the holes on the dash? Leave the trim on, or leave it off while using the template? I dont have those trims at all, so I'm stuck if I need them on....

I'm in the same spot. I'm debating on not drilling the dash pad, and putting them down on the side by the radio area like VinAir shows in the instructions.

1 hour ago, bryonbush said:

I'm in the same spot. I'm debating on not drilling the dash pad, and putting them down on the side by the radio area like VinAir shows in the instructions.

If I had to do it over i would not cut into the dash, they have a crapy plastic overlay that doesn't look very good. If you can get an ac dash pad and use the original vent.

zoom in to see it better.

IMG_3090.jpeg