Sign in to follow this  
ray1970

Ray hear how did your FI intall go? andTuning

Glad you started a thread!!!!!!!

Nice find and glad you were able to keep it after all those years!

I just have a built 357 4V iron closed chamber head, always wanted a stroked 408 version.  Your car must rip!

Pictures are Great, keep them coming.

Questions:

1, What distributor are you using (model number)?

2, Are you using the Controlled Timing?? Did you lock it out and how did you.

3, Fitech has nice on line manual, easy to read (I think everyone here should read it before making a purchase, it's very helpful).

It said no CDI ignition box needed, are still using yours?

4, How did you tackle the fuel supply and vent.  I'm thinking of purchasing FiTech's external pump and an EFI pickup which has the return in it.

The gas tank needs venting, so I was going to put a barbed fitting in the fill tube.  My only stumble is where to put the vent tube to the outside.

I'm really looking forward to this build thread :)

Thanks Ray!

I can help out on the #4 question. I vented off of the filler neck. Did a loop to help prevent the gas smell. So I went to the drivers side, then looped it going up first then down and back towards the drivers side. Made a hole on the drivers side floor (trunk area) and then went down. Under the car I have a small k&n air filter on it. No gas smell.

I also bought a new gas tank. Cut a big hole in it. I have 2 Bosch 044 fuel pumps. I cut a hole on the bottom of the tank were the pumps are and made a bowl like area. It's like a modern system, the sender and pumps drop in from the top and the oem sender hole was welded up. I have 1 -10 line per pump which feeds each side of the engine. The hole on the bottom of the tank was to make sure the pumps always have fuel no matter what situation the car was in.

My vent line is a -10. The rule of thumb is to have the vent line the same size as the feed line or bigger to prevent cavitation.

Ray it seems your the guinea pig for now as the majority of us doesn't have one yet. By next month this board is going to all lit up with question from new FiTech owners.

Glad to see your still hammering away.

If you can please post pictures.

Looking forward to an update.

Ray,

Thank you so much for stepping up and giving us an insight on this FiTech TBI.

If you don't mind, I'd like to keep this thread alive by asking you some questions.

Enjoy your Winter and look forward to your next encounter with FiTech.

Hopefully before then, I'll have my own FiTech system up and running.

I'll be getting the 600 hp version w/o the power adders. I'm interested in the timing control and A/F setup.

On my Cleveland it was slow on take off until 3000 rpms. I've set my Initial to 16 and Mech to 20, I've even taken the curve down 1200 rpms hoping it would open up faster. Hopefully the TBI can make a better adjustment.

As for fuel, I have the Quickfuel 725 Vac. I always had trouble adjusting the 4 corner idle setup and eventually would burn my arm over 3 & 4 cyl, because of tampering with the adjusting screw. By the time I got to the pass side rear adjuster and messed with it, my arm would feel like it melted. I've even went up in jets and primaries. So hopefully the FiTech will take a lot of guessing out and show the real time reading.

I have the Blue Thunder Intake, 4V Iron Closed Chamber 63cc heads w/ Scorpion Pedestal Rockers, Bullet Cam lift 541/559, Dur 220/231, ICL 106 & Sanderson Shorty headers.

I have the Mallory Unilite Dist, it has the pos, neg & ground wires.  It uses an optic lens rotor. Do you think I could use that Dist and let the FiTech control timing.  If not what Dist would you suggest?

Thanks, John

Bullet Cam lift 541/559, Dur 220/231, ICL 106

prayers1 , with this cam how much vacuum does the engine have. you need  10 inches of vacuum  for a  efi system. mine engine is a 347 clevor, the cam spec are:

billet core  hydraulic roller net lift 586/577  lobe  separation is 111 . it makes 10 to 11 inches of vacuum.   with my efi i need to lock my ipw.   so i did mess up the learned fuel tables.

since i no nothing about fitech , but used ken farrell earlier system Boss efi and pj3  (ecu). i like both system and i sure this system is better.

from what i have read if a self learning system like fast ez efi. so do you homework before you buy the system check out the fast forum and holley forums . theres a lot of go info.