ronz75

EFI install options

Yeah I found one on Amazon for $130. What size hose fits this thing?

The one I got was also $130  the end fittings on mine were AN -6 which is 6/16 reduced down is 3/8. They make one with barbs and I think it was for 3/8 hose. Mine was the p/n TPV6. I just decided to run my vent in steel line also since everything else was steel.

Dave

If you intend to use a Newton in-line tank vent valve, there are two types: 

TPV 6 uses JIC 6 fittings. From what I read JIC uses a 37 degree flare and is an industrial version of the AN-6 military fitting. The only apparent differences are the tolerances- can anyone verify that? I've read that people can connect JIC to AN with no problem.

TPV 8 has an 8mm diameter end AND the hose barb extends out further. Convert 8mm= .315". A 5/16" hose is .3125" ID Since the TanksInc GPA-4 pump has a 5/16 hose barb on the vent it is easier to use the TPV 8. 

Regular 5/16 neoprene fuel hose is good to 50psi and we only need about 1psi so using the TPV 8 with hose clamps should work fine.

I found a neat little 40 micron filter to go on the end of the line connected to the TPV vent valve mentioned on page 9, it's from: http://www.iimuch.com/collections/fuel-differential-vents/products/filter-sintered-bronze-orb

Bulkhead Fitting, 9/16-18 -6 ORB Female to -6 ORB Female
$34.99 for fitting and filter

Just found a Tanks Inc complete set on CJ Pony. They have 6 left. I made the purchase for for 450.30.  I got 5% discount off of 474.00 for a loyal customer. FYI- Tanks Inc sells theirs for 492 + shipping.

Good Luck. First come first serve.

FYI- I cancelled the CJPony order before it was shipped. Reason is that I'm using an Electric Fuel Pump with a carb and I have to run a 8-an return. 

Tanks Inc has 6-an fuel and return.  It's ok to use that tank with a throttle body EFI.

I want to drive the car with the carb under an electric fuel pump to see if there is any change in my low fuel pressure problems.

I'm exploring:

Aeromotive Phantom 200

Mustang to Fears Aluminum  tank

HotRodcity.com- Aluminum tank

Keep us posted on what you all are doing!!!

Reason is that I'm using an Electric Fuel Pump with a carb and I have to run a 8-an return. 

Tanks Inc has 6-an fuel and return.

John, TanksInc has pumps with more than enough volume even though the fitting is 6AN, and I've read that there are fittings to go from 8 to 6 AN, so it should still work.

Bad news, Tanks Inc is out of our tank until, they think mid April :( And just when I was going to put my order in.

Now, Aeromotive 1968 tank, or Aeromotive Phantom 340 do it yourself in tank install???????

why not try out Spectra premium? Rock Auto sells them the cheapest, seems like no mods needed as the pump and return line is located on the sending unit.

rwcstang, Spectrum tanks fittings are too small, Thanks.

Terry, Your right Aeromotive sells a fitting 15649, that goes from 6an to a 8an with a 8an bore.   When I discussed using an Electric Pump w/ my carburetor, the Aeromotive Tech said I need to run 8an lines for supply & return and 6an for vent. So I thought they were selling 1/2 threaded fittings on their pump end.

With that in mine, I cancelled my CJPony Tanks Inc, fuel tank because I first thought I needed a true 8an for supply & return and the vent is only 1/4 npt and I needed 6an vent. Now after the fact of finding the 15649 fitting, it might work for what I searching for.

Since then, I have changed my mind several times on what tank to use.  In fact, in the mail is the Aeromotive Phantom 200.  I'm not crazy about fuel lines running in the trunk area, so I kept searching for new tank ideals.

Now I stumbled on to an aluminum tank that is custom made for Mustangs to Fear. It's a little pricey but the lines run outside of the trunk. The down side is that it doesn't have a vent. I've learned that even though our cars have a vented cap, it's set for  pressured fuel lines of 6psi not 40 psi w/ EFI, so there has to be another type of vent.

After writing this, I think I maybe getting too picky and probably would go with the Aeromotive Phantom 200.

FYI- I'm doing this in steps, so I'm gonna run the Ele pump w/ my carb, so I need the 1/2" lines.  Later, I'll eventually get a Throttle body set up like the Fitech where all that is needed is 6an and 3/8s lines.

John, I can't say that I like all the stuff on top of the tank and in the trunk, but Dave has made a slick installation and all things considered the TanksInc is the way I'm going to go. Its good to see different solutions and I'm looking forward to seeing yours.

ronz75- I just took a look at it but I don't see if they supply the fuel pump.  Can an internal pump be used?

John, I think we already covered this on page 4 down near the bottom. Glen's Performance uses external pumps- no one has said otherwise.

Guys, while reading one of the EFI installs (who knows which), the guy decided to pressurize the system to check for leaks. Then he went around with a spray bottle of soap. This turned out to be a good thing because he had multiple leaks; one at the sender to tank, and two fittings in the lines. He put a plumbing pipe with cap in the filler, but he didn't elaborate any further as to how he plugged the fuel lines or how/where he introduced the air pressure. All he did say was that you shouldn't make the mistake he did and over-pressurize the tank. He turned his into a football and had to replace it. He said that 1 psi was all you should subject the tank to. If you use a TPV valve in the vent line it would pop at about 0.75 psi.

I'd like ideas on how to do this. Any light bulbs going off?

I pressurized my lines from front to rear before connecting to the tank. I took one of the ptfe lines I had made up and connected both lines together at the engine bay and plugged the return line at the tank and put air on the supply line. I charged to 100PSI and let sit for a couple of days gauge stayed at 100. This leaves only 2 fittings to check after the system is in use, where the return and supply connects to tank.

Dave

Ok Dave, that works really well for the pressure and return lines.

When the tank is topped off the fuel in the neck is higher than the tank so the sender, pump, the filler flanges or the vent lines and TPV valve could also leak. That's where a test around 1 psi would come in real handy. I've read of those flanges leaking on two different installs...and if you figure this out before I get around to it I won't have to reinvent the wheel :)

All the leaks u speak off can be fixed with out draining the tank, if you fill it full, for gas to come up the neck the most that would leak out is  maybe a quart. All the connections that could leak are either clamps or thick rubber gaskets that would require tighten  screws  why would you run the risk to pressurize the tank. I don't get it.

Dave

Shaun071 put me onto www.efihardware.com . They have a couple of options for guys that want to mod their exciting tanks for efi. They have some YouTube clips as well. Located in Australia they will ship gear all over the world and as the Aussie dollar is low that makes for great prices for our American friends. Just some more options.