Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Headed over to Mike's (latoracing) today to troubleshoot a wiring issue with my EFI system, and get the car started.  Turns out I had swapped a connector location that fed the FiTech ECU (white wire).  This was easily fixed.   Then logged on with the FiTech handheld and put the basic settings in.   The car did not start, and I adjusted some of the Crank Fuel and Prime Fuel settings that I obtained from other users.  After some cranking and Mike fussing with the throttle, finally got the car to start, run, and idle.   Let it warm up and checked for leaks and for proper operation of my main cooling fans.   One minor drip from my oil cooler, and all else ok.  A subsequent hot start also did not work well.

Would like to hear what FiTech settings you are running that are different than the default, in particular for hot or cold starting.  Also, if you made any manual idle and/or IAC adjustments.

Thanks!

if you have a facebook account, go to FiTech Owners Group. they have several pinned messages on startups that are very beneficial. ill post some screen shots of some things thatll help.

one of the admins, Josh, has a 69 mustang and is very informative on this. crank it over and if it doesn't start, pull a plug and see if its soaked or dry. then you'll know for sure which way to start tuning.

Thanks....

I had the same conversation with FiTech and why they didn't include any throttle plate adjustments in their set up, or any voltage checks during cranking.

I will be fully armed with lots of data next time I try, but we did get it started and it ran really good initially.  

I think under the pro tuning section it shows cranking volts. Maybe I’m wrong though. I tried to post some screenshots in here but it wouldn’t let me. If need be I’ll transfer the photos to my computer today and upload them 

There is a voltage reading available on the Dashboard display.  The concern is it does not go below 10 volts when cranking or else the injectors wont fire

I don’t think I have that issue, as I’m feeding the EFI ECU (white wire) directly from my AAW fuse box.   

I will check that next time

Down to the small details and little jobs. Vic brought me some aluminum perforated metal to cover his trans cooler. I was going to try some really thick stainless screen, but this stuff was too good to pass up. A little bending and some creative riveting, a couple of bolts (that I have yet to install) to hold it in place, and it's ready to ride.

IMG_2361.thumb.jpeg.db9b1736fd31f31b2eae6b84240956a4.jpeg

Starting on the front fender marker light erasing I've got to get rid of the previous attempt and do it a little neater.

IMG_2411.thumb.jpeg.cc8dd83e49910a9f048ed73d2c8a804d.jpeg

All chopped out and ready to wheel a new patch.

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.2686fc8a6f304008463b00cb2643efc6.jpeg

The grill looks nice. Got the material from the NASCAR used part store.   

Yeah, the fenders were "patched"....didn't see it until I blasted the fenders

Patch is all ready to tack in place. There is some tape on the back holding it up.

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.28a7954568fb3e50b7dc10c657c04975.jpeg

The general fit, tack, beat, repeat until it is all fully welded. A little sanding and its ready for more beating. Sanding the inside is helpful to get a smooth finish.

IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.fc7389f907856ae09ecc1c93aa872e44.jpeg

Between filing off the proud weld, more beating and a ton of planishing it looks presentable. Once again, I left some of the minor imperfections that will only require some putty to get ready for primer. There are a couple of places I'm going to take care of while I'm at it, then it"s on to the passenger side fender.

IMG_2456.thumb.jpeg.caaf4e1babd9af4830a34d35c7c95d60.jpeg