Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Hey Shemp.    If you IM me with your email address, I will send along my spreadsheet.    I will also try to collect some pictures and send to you. Might be a few days, I am currently in Canada and head back to North Carolina for the holidays.  Early next week ok?

4 hours ago, Mike65 said:

Shemp when I wired the interior of my 69 Coupe with the AAW kit I used the GM connector. If you need a pic I can get you one tomorrow.

Thanks Mike.  I’m just trying to decide which connector I want to cut off. 

On 12/15/2022 at 11:57 PM, Shemp said:

Thanks Mike.  I’m just trying to decide which connector I want to cut off. 

If you still have a Ford steering column with Ford T/S Switch then splice the AWW harness with the Ford connector, as it would make replacing the T/S Switch easier if it ever needs to be replaced in the future.

If you have an aftermarket Steering Column that uses a GM T/S Switch, then I'd go with the GM plug for the same reason. 

Doug

That makes a lot of sense Doug.  I’m waiting for some pins to show up, if they’re the right ones I’m going to build an adapter(I know, an extra connection) so it will be easier to replace turn signal or steering column in the future. 

Hey Shemp, I used "Diagram A" on page 3 of the AAW wiring diagram.  I cut the stock wiring and used the pins and flat GM connector that were supplied with my kit.  Seems to work fine, I have tested my turn signal and emergency flasher functions and they work.

Still working on my center console project.  I actually have a brand new console that I will install all of this stuff on once I am done mocking it up on the old, original console.

Getting close.  Need to add a couple relays and that should be it.   I will post schematic/block diagram when all done.  I installed blue LEDs in the Phantom gauges.  Looks good.

console1.jpeg

console2.jpeg

console3.jpeg

Back in action after work assignment in Canada, home in NC.  Semi-retired, so will be spending some serious time on the car going forward.

Secured my Nu-Relic power window kit. They were nearby, and I went to their shop to pick up the kit.  I am doing all 4 windows, and will use one switch bank, mounted in my center console. I got a look at the manufacturing operation, and it was nice to see a locally owned business doing all the work in the US.  Very impressed with the quality of the hardware, wiring harness, and switches.  You can see the various options on their website (I have no affiliation with this company)

Getting the 4 switch hardware mounted in the front of my console was a trial and error project.  I have a couple console storage boxes, so I did the mock up on one of my spares.  I purchased a small sheet of pebble grain ABS plastic, and I made some cardboard templates of the front of the console to get the fit as close as possible.  I used my Dremel tool to cut the openings.   The switch bank is a stock GM part, and it has a plug that attaches to all of the switch pins from the back.  This was a tight squeeze, but after several iterations, I got it to fit.

The other things in the console box are my remote trunk release  button, a dual-USB outlet, and an LED dimmer used to dim my LED pushbuttons on the console.   Now that I got the mockup done, I will dig into the real console, and take the "measure twice, cut once" approach.

console4.jpg

console2.jpg

console5.jpg

Hey Mike, hope all is well with you and the family.

I am headed to Carlisle Ford Week in June.  Maybe we can meet there.

Otherwise, would be great to get up there and see your car, or if you are up for a trip down to Charlotte, I can show you around the various NASCAR team shops, and you can check out my '68...the '70 will probably be in the shop.

Vic

I went with the nu-relic kit. It works well but had 2 clearances to sort out with the quarter window. The first one is described in the paperwork but I also had a clearance issue with one of the stoppers.

Really enjoying your thread. It has helped me with my 69 Converible build.

IMG_5015.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

Hi Hertz, Thanks for the info.  What did you do to resolve the interference?  Did you grind it off?

I have lots of pictures, etc of my build.  IM me anytime if you have questions.  My car is in the stage where it is headed to paint, but my windows are not in yet.

Back on the console project, finally installed my power window switches into the front of the console storage box.  Lots of mock ups and templates to get this fitted properly.

Next will install USB power port, power trunk release switch, and LED dimmer for my console switches.

75B30232-6347-4B04-91A0-F417EC1753D2.jpeg

3AD275A6-EB2C-4C72-8D7B-1A9D0C8CD9FC.jpeg

80BAFCA7-F930-46D4-B515-B4E164C18E0C.jpeg

Not quite related to the mustang, but sort of. Getting my car trailer ready for some car show future events, installed the second battery and some charging and lighting hardware, also lighting control panel, LED lights all the way around the outside of the trailer and inside. A way to keep my wiring skills up to date. 

IMG_0868.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

I was asked to post what manifold to heater hose adaptor I used. It was a 90 degree smooth bend AN style push-on fitting.  I am pretty sure it was a swivel type, but the car is in the paint shop and not easy to go check it right now.

Manifold Water Connection.jpg

Well, the day has finally come.  The car is about to be transformed with new paint.  It waited in the shop for 9 months in line to get to this point.  I will document the progress.....   I am now going to open my favorite beverage and have a toast the car I have named "Gerry".  Named after the older gentleman who I acquired the car from. He had planned for years to restore it, but never got to it.  He passed away this January, and never got to see the car completed.  I will make sure his Daughter and Family get the pictures when it is done.

1483789473_MustangPaint125may.thumb.jpg.fc7b4289f67b26c6409a269707541db6.jpg

Mustang Paint 2 25may.jpg

Mustang Paint 3 25may.jpg

Mustang Paint 4 25may.jpg

From something most would have given up on to seeing it actually drive again, I'm just glad to have been a part of it's resurrection. It will be a stunning car when it is complete and quite a story to share with those who meet "Gerry" in the near future. Persistence does pay off. Looking GOOD!!!