Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Hey Vic, Do you have a dropbox or other phot sharing option that you may be able to send me? all the pictures on this post are now gone and since you and I have similar equipment, id like to mimic what you did for wiring. I rewired my 69 fastback this past spring and it wasn't too bad but the vert has a lot more going on in terms of after market items.

Thanks;

Posting a picture of where my emergency brake cables run.   Originally ran them on the floor pan.  These are from a late model Mustang Cobra.   Subsequent to this, due to my exhaust routing, Mike had to open up these slotted areas and run the cables through there.

InkedIMG_4657_LI.jpg

It has been a while since I have posed up some progress on this. Been dealing with some serious family issues over the summer. Now that everything is returning to normal, I'm back at it.

One of the exciting (least I think so) that was done is the sending unit with the return line already installed. The one I ordered was for a 67-8 (shorter float rod) that had to be slightly modified to work with the larger '70 tank. Swapping the arms from the supplied unit to the return style was fairly simple. This is much better than the bulkhead fitting I was fixing to drill and install.

IMG_2030.thumb.jpg.c5ce83c03fda68c81844b8529befe117.jpg

Still haven't finished up the driver's side tail pipe yet. I sampled a bunch of different hanger designs for this area and finally settled on a solution that I'm confident will work. I do not want these tips hitting the valance once everything is in place, so they need to be securely held. I am going to use two of the silicone isolators per side to keep them in place. I also do not want the pipe to crack where the hanger is welded in place, so a little creative reinforcement was conjured up and welded in place (after a bunch of test fitting of course)

IMG_2035.thumb.jpg.aadbf1e66b19b0cd1eeae699d6b808b2.jpg

The 3/8" block that is tacked to the bracket is a stand-in for the blue isolators while fitting this together. Putting this back on the car, the bracket with its spacer is clamped to the upper bracket on the car, then I removed it, drilled it and reinstalled it to check for proper fitment. 

IMG_2036.thumb.jpg.b2eeb0696c53ba7fa9f38f5631d4e9e6.jpg

I forgot to add, I did install a plate into the frame rail to utilize the factory exhaust mount location. It was a fun project to fish that plate into position. 

I've got to drill out the holes in the lower bracket before I can weld it in place and finish the upper bracket to give it a little more rigidity. The passenger side has duplicate brackets already cut out, plus that side has tons of clearance. Getting closer...

Finished getting all the brackets drilled out and reinforced. Installed everything back on the car and tack welded the support bracket to the tail pipe reinforcement. It was welded in place on both sides then spruced up with a little red scotch-brite. I installed everything one more time and true to form, things shrink when you weld it. The tip sits about 1/4" too high so I'll have to do some adjustments to get it where I want it. I am pleased at how firm the two isolators hold everything in place. Fingers crossed for no rattles.

With the little issues just about done on the extremely tight drivers side, I'm gonna enjoy a little more freedom on the passenger side.

IMG_2043.jpg

I was able to get the drive's side adjusted to where I liked it.IMG_2045.thumb.jpg.7672b9c18e2e289b86b0711d7f1a19dc.jpg

A little slotting of the upper bracket and all is well. 

IMG_2046.thumb.jpg.fec738a0cbff926a85bc7aa9e6e0ea1a.jpg

I got started on the passenger side and made good progress today. With the pan-hard bar all in the way I couldn't fit the sections without chopping and re-welding the supplied tail pipe. It wouldn't have fit anyway as it was meant to exit under the valance. A little chopping some fitting and tacking we have the second side.

IMG_2052.thumb.jpg.a7ab430569501288d03861db18eea39c.jpg

Which also receive it's fair share of red scotch-brite cleaning.

IMG_2053.thumb.jpg.57c5928612428d2746618a67e24e97a0.jpg

Sticking everything back under the car it looks like it should work.

IMG_2054.thumb.jpg.0c5bba674673d5f10b223d350aa06a25.jpg

I have to remake the upper bracket on this side due to the different routing, such is life. With everything self supporting I took a picture laying on the floor looking up.

IMG_2058.thumb.jpg.0e3298592113eef84c605fd8f98d00fc.jpg

It's getting there. Least all the major components are in place, just need a few more brackets and some flanging on the valance.

Have several "small" projects I've been trying to get to.  One of them is to install some speaker in my rear seat side panels. Since the ashtrays are a legacy item for me anyway, so I sized up some Pyle speakers that are compatible with my audio system setup and found some grills on Ebay. Had some 3/8" birch plywood laying around from my trunk project, so got my Roto-Zip and off to work I went.    The metal piece is something I sourced at the local Lowes hardware store in the electrical section.  The diameter is almost exactly the same as the speaker....

I also use "elevator bolts" since the tops of those are very thin.  The whole plastic piece will be covered in thin insulation and vinyl  anyway..

IMG_5829.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5825.jpg

IMG_5826.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

Any advice as to how to install the vinyl over the plastic part of the panels would be appreciated.

I got them cleaned up I have the foam installed, now trying to figure out what to do with these vinyl pieces and how to get them installed with no wrinkles

FD5915F5-DD3D-4AB1-8F93-9D3967F9ECEA.jpeg

CB6B4EC0-96C0-48CE-B7BB-F96306F75045.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Oh right, damn rivets.  Not sure my hand rivet gun can handle those stainless steel rivets..   I was wondering if they were a standard size, and if they would fit the snaps on the top.

a regular rivet gun works fine it just cant be a flat tip, it needs to be the cone shape tip.