Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Car is finally home.   Undercarriage, engine compartment, trunk compartment and rear wheel wells all finish coated in satin black.   Now the fun starts.  Will get the car up in the air and start putting the suspension in.   Will begin updates on progress shortly.

Mustang1.jpg

Also got my 393 stroker running on my engine test stand.   Actually got the initial timing right, close enough to start and run for 15 minutes to break the cam in.   No leaks or drips, had to tighten one hose clamp.  My timing pointer is hidden behind my serpentine belt stuff.  Any suggestions would be appreciated on what to do there.  I have Moroso timing tape on the balancer, and my pointer is on the passenger side.  

393 Stroker Break In.MOV

Looks like it's coming along nicely.  Is it just me or does that photo make it look like the front of the car is defying gravity?  No supports are visibly for the front even in the shadows on the floor.

13 hours ago, MN69Grande said:

Looks like it's coming along nicely.  Is it just me or does that photo make it look like the front of the car is defying gravity?  No supports are visibly for the front even in the shadows on the floor.

It has a single castor attached to a removable cross member, just for rolling around purposes. It makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

photo KIMG0121_zps2zyhia9q.jpg

The multi-talented Mike built it.  If you can think of it, he can probably make it. 

I am going to be putting in my new cross-member.   When I take out the third wheel rig I will take more pictures of it 

Ok, some updates on my project progress.

Installed my Borgeson power steering box.   Some minor "grinding" was required, as the casting didn't sit exactly flat on the frame rail.   So, my advice is to trial fit the box, and mark the areas that need to be filed/ground down on the steering box. Took like 5 minutes to fix.   I would not advise trying to just tighten town the bolts to see if you can "force" it in.   You might crack the casting.

Second pic is the 1994-2004 Mustang Cobra rear brake setup.  It is on a 9" big bearing axle, using the Mustang Steve mounting kit.   The Mustang Steve hardware fits perfectly.   In my case, I had to rotate the calipers toward the front of the car.  This was needed to avoid interference between the integral emergency brake "coils" on these late model brakes, and my leaf springs.  I found some original (hard to find) Ford OEM slotted and drilled rear rotors for this setup, and I think it looks pretty good.  I am sure I will have fun with the emergency brake cables, so any suggestions would be appreciated.....

More to come.  I am bolting stuff on pretty quickly.  I will post pics of my Panhard  bar suspension next time...

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

These rotors are OEM Ford Motorsport.  They are hard to find, I looked for like a year.

I have some NOS non-drilled/slotted Cobra Rear rotors that I would be willing to part with now that I have these.   Let me know if you are interested.

Installed my SOT strut tower brace over the weekend.   I had it all powder-coated in satin black (60/40).  Really nice hardware, very high quality fit really well, no modifications/alterations needed.  

SOT Brace.jpg

Installed my cross brace, idler arm, and lower control arms.    The cross brace is from Pacific Thunder Engineering.  Really nice piece, comes with eccentric eliminator plates, hardware, and instructions.   Fit perfectly. 

LCAs are open tracker reinforced, roller style idler arm is also roller bearing type from open tracker. 

Cross Brace and LCAs.jpg

tires.thumb.jpg.1bb8f094ed90cadae00192f7be7949b8.jpgIMG_2463.thumb.JPG.f9ff9e4505127223fbbe0d68f29d33b9.JPGOk, back to provide an update.  Has been a busy early summer, lots of travelling for work.  

Finally got my wheels and tires.   Chose Foose Knuckle wheels.  Front are 17"x8" with 4.5 backspace, rear are 18'x9.5" with 5.25" backspace.   Have rear wheels and tires mounted.  Used Goodrich Sport Comp, 255/40-18.  Tires are 10" wide, have plenty of room on inboard side.  Outboard side looks good, but have rolled fender wells.

IMG_2463.JPG

brakes.thumb.jpg.6b949a1863544174be02c881d1b03246.jpgFullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.bac5b15165be3caeff37cf913ffae92e.jpgFront suspension is in.   I took an approach to use the parts I wanted, rather than bundling with one supplier.

In the pictures:

• Global West tubular outer shock tower supports
  • Viking bolt-in coil overs
  • Global West +3 Upper Control Arms
  • Open Tracker roller bearing lower control arms
  • 1973 stock drum brake spindles
  • Mustang Steve late model Cobra front disc brake kit
  • Pacific Coast Engineering adjustable strut rods
  • Maier racing front sway bar
  • NOS 2004 Mustang Cobra front calipers
  • Baer slotted/drilled rotors for 2004 Mustang Cobra

The best looking convertible that I've ever seen, was a 69 Mustang convertible done up Mach 1 style. The guy did some body work to the rear trunk area to give it that fastback rear look. Car had a shaker, blacked out hood, front spoiler, hood pins, etc. It was very professionally done and it was gorgeous! Look forward to seeing your project come together.   

I am headed toward a Mach 1 look, will be running a shaker on my 393 stroker. All the trim is going to be black powdercoated, there will be no chrome, emblems, or side marker lights on the car.   That will all happen after the first of the year. I have a lot of work to do before then.  

Rear suspension is finally in:

• 4-1/2 leaf springs from Detroit/Eaton Spring.  Stripped and re-coated in Eastwood Spray Grey
  • TCP Panhard Bar Rear Suspension
  • TCP Rear Sway Bar
  • Koni Shocks from SOT
  • ProThane Bushings and Heavy Duty Shackles
  • Quick Performance 9" Big Bearing Rear, 2004 Cobra Brakes (See my other posts)

Rear Suspension August 2017.jpg

It is set up in a soft position for now I want to keep a bit of understeer in the car till I get to drive it a bit.   I have to balance that with the pan hard bar set up which changes the roll center of the car. Should be fun to play with!