Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Back to the door repairs...

A little bit of melted wire and a lot of sanding, this section is just about done. As I was welding this together, I found more rust held together with paint. So, there will be some more quilt work to get the bottom back to an acceptable state. 

Two patches to do on the skin, as the corners are the usual bubbly 47 year old debris catchers. Thankfully, the driver's side door looks to be much "goodlier".

KIMG0127_zpscwik369i.jpg

Finished up the passenger door today. The lower corners on the outside need to be fixed which was more of the same cut, weld, grind...

KIMG0128_zps0y0kujdi.jpg

I also completed the lower inside area repairs. The patches were not that big, but were quite necessary as there were several rust holes in the area. All nice and clean now.

KIMG0130_zpsthg4yvfv.jpg

The outside was metal finished and this door is ready to hang on the car.

KIMG0129_zpsza8yzpwf.jpg

The last of the repairs has been accomplished, at long last.

KIMG0140_zps7ovsuoek.jpg

Two less speaker holes, makes the door look much better.

I installed the hinges and stuck the door on the body. I didn't take the time to line it up, but it does fit quite well, which I am very pleased to see after the extensive reconstruction. 

KIMG0141_zpscu9efv3r.jpg

After spending a month or so as a "shelf" (I had some exhaust parts sitting on the cowl lol) it was time for this convertible to go onto it's next phase of the build process.  It was loaded back onto the trailer to be delivered back to Vic. From being basically cut in half, strapped to a pallet...

KIMG0169_zpsnnocu8iv.jpg

to a body that actually is starting to look like a Mustang again...

KIMG0185_zpslcksht1q.jpg

Thanks Vic for letting me help piece this puzzle back together again.

Off to the body shop this coming Monday.  The entire car will be media blasted and the sheet metal will be primed.   The undercarriage, wheel wells and front clip will get a final coat of chassis black.  Then the car comes back to me and I start bolting stuff on.   I will get the suspension, wiring, and power train installed and get it running.   Then back to the body shop (hopefully by the end of the year) for final paint.   Meanwhile, I am getting ready to run my 393 stroker on my engine test stand.  Will post some pics next couple days of that.

post-45109-0-64793700-1487195125.jpgCar headed to my friends at Klassic Rides in Denver, NC.  They will glass bead/water blast the whole car and epoxy prime it.  Then apply satin black finish coat to undercarriage, rear wheel wells, and everything from the firewall forward.   They have the car as you see it, a really nice set of front fenders, front cowl piece, and headlight buckets.   I will be using a new Shaker Hood and rear trunk lid.

The car has been soda blasted and is being cleaned up and primed.  No real surprises after the soda blast except for a few tiny pinholes here and there that were covered by paint/dirt/sealer.   Next car gets satin black undercarriage and engine compartment final coat.

post-45109-0-55096300-1488489425.jpg

post-45109-0-90232700-1488489442.jpg

post-45109-0-97793500-1488489455.jpg

PPG Epoxy primer all done.   Next is satin black on the undercarriage and firewall forward.   Then back home to start re-assembly.  

The body guys were very impressed with Mike's work (of course)....

post-45109-0-28956600-1488941926.jpg

Also nearly complete with my Engine Test Stand project. Got it on Amazon, and have modified it to be use-able for my needs. Will be posting an item on the Technical Forum in next week or so detailing this project, which took longer than expected (what a surprise....). But, it will be useful for future projects and for others that want to take on this project..

post-45109-0-67315200-1488942797.jpg

post-45109-0-12841100-1488942813.jpg

Everything's looking great! I hope you'll keep us posted, I really want to see some more pictures of your project! I'm really stoked!

Keep up doing what you're doing, it's a bold project!