Vicfreg

1970 Convertible Restoration

Mike, thanks for getting that part in place.  I guess this particular area of the patch panel supply chain has failed you on multiple projects......Had no idea so much time was required to get that area worked out.....great job!

Mike, thanks for getting that part in place.  I guess this particular area of the patch panel supply chain has failed you on multiple projects......Had no idea so much time was required to get that area worked out.....great job!

It really isn't that bad, just tedious, and me whining a little lol. No parts ever line up perfectly, just the way these cars are. It would be boring if they just pooped right in place :)

After all the trimming and prep for the patch, the top of the torque box and affected areas were treated to some primer to ward off the corrosion demons.

KIMG0362_zpskixxdi2n.jpg

The back side of the extension patch was also primed. After a few hours of welding and grinding, it is all in place.

KIMG0363_zps9a8p05js.jpg

Going to get the rest of the floor pan out and continue with the patching.

Thanx for the compliments everyone.

Before I got busy removing the other 2/3 of the floor, I made a few templates for the rear seat retaining brackets, and the E-brake rod mount. They will make the job of reinstalling them later much easier.

Time to get rid of the rest of the floor, plasma cutter to the rescue...

KIMG0365_zpsvtti4zrj.jpg

With the help of my newest piece of equipment, the rest of the floor came out in very short order. I also tried it out for "drilling" spot welds. In areas that can be cut all the way through, it words extremely well. 

The front section required a little more delicate touch, so all the areas on top of the floor support /  tunnel brace were drilled out the old fashioned way. 

KIMG0366_zps0erbx2xc.jpg

I still have a bunch of remnants to remove, mainly in the rear area and under the passenger side rocker area. The reinforcement will also be removed when I get underneath. Lots more spot weld removal to come...

You certainly make it look easy Mike. I used to think folks who undertook such comprehensive rebuilds as being a bit nuts. However you project these projects as entirely plausible. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I have removed all the floor pan remnant  but the underside of the rocker. Everything else is ready for some sanding. 

As this progresses, there is a bracket on the inside B pillar that is MIA. The passenger side looks like this...

KIMG0367_zpspnwxruou.jpg

With no bracket to be found, gonna have to make one, oh no...

Using the old masking tape template method, I copied the passenger side bracket, laid it on some 16ga CRS, and made a reverse template by marking the bends on the opposite side. Without very much sheet metal forming equipment at the house, I ended up cutting it in half on one of the marked bends. A little creative forming, and the normal tweaking and a couple of tack welds...

KIMG0368_zpsciznxtye.jpg

Once tacked, it was removed for further welding and minor void filling (since I can't stamp this part, it'll be OK) it is clamped to a piece of flat bar, to keep it straight. I'll get it fried and cleaned up, then get it all fitted. 

With everything welded up and ground smooth, the bracket was primed then welded in place

KIMG0369_zpsfhfx2kbk.jpg

I went ahead and cleaned it up, ready for more primer (a little later)

KIMG0370_zps0fbpm4iv.jpg

I spent some time getting rid of the floor pan  remnants under the passenger side rocker. The reinforcement pan had to be removed as well. Since this area is right above the chassis fixture rail I had to use an angle drill to gain access to the spot welds. Once all of the welds were drilled out and the pan removed... SURPRISE!!!!

KIMG0371_zpsmkihka50.jpg

Our lovely friend, the rust monster had crashed the party and left a mess. Guess more Plasma Therapy will be needed. I'm hoping (along with Vic) that this area is localized and doesn't require a complete replacement of the inner rocker. Fingers crossed...

Crazy the way these things rust from the inside out....  I thought on the later model convertibles all of the rockers were zinc coated on the outside, but not the inside....    anyway......like Neil Young said...  "Rust never Sleeps".....

I was amazed the '66 outer rocker was zinc coated. The outer rocker on the '70 is zinc, with the inside rocker being uncoated, pretty much the same, except a little different shape for a nicer looking interior. (I guess...) 

The flat panel that separates the two rockers took a pretty good hit, as it is pitted, but not totally compromised. The bottom of the inner rocker was toast (as seen before) and had corroded up the side quite a bit.

KIMG0372_zpsdypx8tro.jpg

I have a little more perforated metal towards the front to remove, and it should be to weldable / sound material. I had thought someone had filled the rocker with some kind of coating, turned out to be a bunch of beach sand. I cleaned it all out and ran the vacuum in it to remove the remnants. A little more grinding to finish removing the spot welds and a bunch more grinding to come.

Lots of wire brushing and de-scaleing of the inside of the rocker has finally revealed a workable surface. I coated the inner portion of the rocker with several generous coatings of POR-15 and allowed that to completely cure. 

I got some scrap 12ga  CRS (didn't have any 14ga) to make the repair section out of. A little bit of bending made the basic shape. I laid out the shape of the patch and removed the excess with the plasma. I also went ahead and drilled the holes for the lower lip attachment welds.

KIMG0380_zpsdmewhcjo.jpg

Took a few attempts to get the gaps just right, but finally got everything all nice and neat.

KIMG0379_zpsylczxxsb.jpg

Removed the patch one last time and primed the inside of the part. It was all but dry (well, kinda, close enough) it was put in place and tacked. The usual skip welding, jumping around method, and it was all in place.

KIMG0381_zpsw6wdygsk.jpg

KIMG0382_zpsov153cre.jpg

Got some grinding to do to make it look one piece again. Along with patching the lower part of the firewall, more cleaning, it will be time to get this one piece pan in the car. More to come...

With a little bit of grinding, the repair was all blended into the existing structure.

KIMG0383_zpssv7w8jdl.jpg

I wanted to get the floor pan in a pre-trimmed state before finishing up a little patch in the firewall area. Since this pan was for a Coupe / Sportsroof, the ears had to be trimmed off, and I opted to use the small original areas around the inner wheel houses (they are in great shape). For some reason, these pans always have issues fitting nicely in those areas, and I would have to modify it to fit the Convertible inner rockers. So those areas were trimmed off as well.  The new pan will join the old portions in the middle of the rear frame rail, no one will ever know...

KIMG0384_zpsmpukmduv.jpg

Due to some rust issues in the top portion of the passenger side torque box area, the PO had removed a section of the toe board and left the crunchy hole in the torque box lid. Those needed to be patched, so some filler pieces were made and shaped into small patches. These were welded in place, and prepped to be covered up.

KIMG0391_zpsfkfv5zdh.jpg

With that all ground flush and primed, a patch for the toe board was made, welded in place, and ground smooth.

KIMG0392_zps2ej2sjyf.jpg

There were a few other areas that needed a little fixing up, and some pin holes to weld shut, which all came out nice. I had wanted to get the floor in the car over the weekend, but it didn't happen the way I planned (which is actually a very good thing), but it went in this afternoon.

KIMG0393_zpsjomcafom.jpg

This particular pan went in and fits like a glove. Very little issues, and no prying, nice and neat. I will get it screwed in place, starting at the tunnel and working outward. This is starting to look like a car again, YEA!!!