Sign in to follow this  
7TCatvert

Custom autosound vs retro sound

I have the retro sound and without an amp, it blows my 40 yo ears off. I bought it mainly for looks. With the radio off and the sticker on the face, it looks pretty original. The installation was a little fiddly but have not had any issues. I love it and have recommended it multiple times.

I had a custom autosound that came in another car years ago (probably installed in the 90s). It looked cheap and sounded cheap. I took it out immediately. I don't have any experience with newer models.

It really depends on what look you are going for as the retrosound is not cheap. You pay up for the vintage look.

I put a Custom Autosound in my 70, since I just wanted a radio for long trips, something that looked original.  I put some decent Polk speakers in the rear seat area, since there were already holes there.  I put a new reproduction oem style speaker in the dash.

With engine off, it is OK, but not hi fi by any means.  Not enough power and sound quality is dubious.  Driving makes a stereo marginal, the engine and exhaust is fairly loud. 

But now after a year the knobs just don't stay on, and the power switch is near impossible to operate.  I have not even tried for the last 8 months.  It is just a decoration.  I have not bothered to throw it out, but it is just a decoration now.  Useless and disappointing.  I bought the base model, bottom of the range  I think it is the 230 model.  Waste of money. and annoying. 

I am on my second Retrosound unit. The Model 1 was great but upgraded to a Malibu unit. Sound is great, looks and fit are second to none. Will pass easily for a Factory radio. As an added bonus the Bluetooth is like a new car. Adding a retrosound Quad 4 amp over the winter. Retrosound stuff is hard to beat. Crutchfield will deal on radio and has amp on sale for $139 and free shipping!

I have the retro sound Model 2.  It is an awesome unit, fit and finish is really good.   I have 4 bridged speakers in the dash which would cause the retro sound amp to burn up. I paired it with a mono and 4 channel pioneer amps  My photobucket pictures show the head unit and amp setup.

Not planning on putting either unit in my 69 since I am planning to Pro-Tour it but I am thinking of putting one in my classic truck and have been for years.  Glad to read about the likes and dislikes between the two.  I need to look into the Retrosound since I had only read up on the Custom Audio units.  Love getting feedback and good advice before I spend money.

post-45109-0-94484500-1452038384.jpg

I have a different variation, since I am doing somewhat of a Resto-Mod.  I got the radio panel with the DIN opening and put a DIN1 flatscreen in my dash.  It can drive a power amp, has Bluetooth, DVD player, and fits nicely, allowing access to my Vintage Air A/C controls.  

A friend gave me his custom auto sound since he was going with a different set up....the stereo is too wide to fit easily in the opening having to do modifications.....It also is not lining up very well....I have had it in and out 3 x trying to get it to look right...I am still not happy....will try again and post a few pictures...

attachicon.gif1970 Audio.jpg

I have a different variation, since I am doing somewhat of a Resto-Mod.  I got the radio panel with the DIN opening and put a DIN1 flatscreen in my dash.  It can drive a power amp, has Bluetooth, DVD player, and fits nicely, allowing access to my Vintage Air A/C controls.  

how did you fit a double din in there? is there a kit?

Hi guys,

I need some help with my Retrosound Model 2.

I have installed it in my 70 Stang and am getting noise and static when the car is running.

I have it wired as shown in the instructions and with the car off and the key in the  accessory position, sounds 100% great.  With the car on, I have noise and static.

I purchased thru Crutchfield. Called them.  Not sure what to do. they suggested trying Ferrite Cores on the leads, tried that, no difference.

I contacted Retrosound, suggested putting in a relay between the ignition power and the radio.  did that, no difference.

I had a similar noise with the Custom Autosound radio, not as bad, but when it died I wanted an upgrade and went to the Retrosound.

Custom Autosound has a Noise Filter to go off the alternator.  I tried that, no difference.

No noise when I use my iPhone for music, only when using the radio.

I have gotten good at removing the dash panel, 15minutes or less.....LOL

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience and what to do to correct.

thanks

gerald

thanks JD,

I do not have an electric fuel pump or an amp.

I had a Custom and when it died and they offered absolutely no support, I went to Retrosound.

I had another reference to check the diodes in the alternator, since this happened with the Custom as well.

thought I would temporarily disconnect the wiring to the alternator and try to see if any difference.

will update after I do that.

thank you

Gerald (JR)

Thanks for the replys.

I do not have a power antenna.

Nor do I have a hood ground strap. Not sure what a hood strap would do.

the local auto electrical place that could test alternators and or rebuild closed down.

Not sure where else to get the alternator tested.

will keep trying.

thanks

Gerald (JR)