DRASTiK

Lower door hinge spring 'BANG'

Having the same issue with both doors.  This isn't about bushings or door alignment, but it's about the loud BANG noise that occurs when the gears begin to move the spring in the hinge.  Lubing the hinges helped some, but not much. 

Has anyone dealt with this before?  I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to replace the hinges, or if I can repair them. 

If I'm going to repair them, how can I compress the spring to work in the area where it contacts the body of the hinge?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but when searching for related topics, all I can find are discussions about pin and bushing replacement (which I've already done).

I have a set of dynacorn replacement lower hinges, but after looking at them I don't have a lot of faith in them.  I'd rather fix my existing ones if possible.  I'm thinking it'll require some welding, but I'll need to find a way to compress or remove the spring first. Without doing that, it's difficult to see the area that the spring is making contact with.

Anyone dealt with this before?

It's been a couple of years since I had my hinges apart but, IIRC, I think what you're talking about is due to a flat spot being worn where the little cam wheel rides on the spring. I'm not aware of replacement parts. Might have to find some donor or other rebuildable hinges.

Thanks for the input guys.  Your descriptions sound accurate to what I'm experiencing. 

I tried rotating the gears, but I couldn't find a magic quiet spot. 

For reference, I'll attempt to attach a video of what I'm referring to. 

I'll give the replacement hinges a try, and if that doesn't work out, I'll try another route.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qae39LvGqD8

My doors have been doing the same thing for quite some time. At first when I rotated the wheels it worked, but somehow they kept finding their way to the same spot and the sound came back. I won't say this often about classic mustangs, but I do think the door hinges could be designed better.