Sign in to follow this  
J's69Mach1

What heads r u running non stroker 351w?

I run an old set of C90E's that have been race ported with alot of time on a flow bench.

It really depends on what you expect from your engine, the eddys are pretty good, but for all out power I'd go with AFR'S.

List what you're looking for power wise, and what parts you have or plan on getting.

I currently have a 351w roller short block blueprinted and machined by Engine Factory. Nodular cast iron Crank deburred and micropolished, Shot peened hardened connecting rods with arp bolts. Federal Mogul 9.7 to 1 compression hypereutectic pistons. Chrome moly rings. Clevite bearings. Double roller timing chain. Comp cams hydraulic Roller cam. I put on a set i already had of edelbrock rpm performer heads 60cc 170cc/60cc, 1.90"int/1.60"exh, max lift .575" . I put 1.6 ford racing roller rocker arms . Trick flow chrome moly 7.750 pushrods. Eddy rpm dual plane intake, Aed holley mech 750 double pumper. Msd dizzy and 6al box. Holley 110 gph fuel pump. I just don't feel the power I want to feel.engine runs real smooth and has slight Lopey idle. But I think my heads are holding me back. My exhaust manifolds are stock. Dual exhaust 2 1/4" flowmasters. T5 tranny. I am thinking towards New bigger heads,like afr or Trick Flows . I need input and advise. Thanks

need to know your gear ratio and exact cam spec.

your compression is slightly low.

if you want big power you need big exhaust flow, so the stock exhaust manifolds will restrict your options.

do you want a mild, medium, or nasty idle?

do you want a tire burner or freeway flier or inbetween?

either of these cams and afr 195 heads and 10.5 compression and 3.73 gears and it will haul pretty well.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1670&gid=289

282 290 . . 231 239 . . 571 587 . . lsa 110 . . icl 106

or

Howards Cams p/n 22273510S for oem lifters or 22273510 for link bar lifters.

288 295 . . 235 241 . . 581 581 . . lsa 110 . . icl 106

More than Medium for Sure to Borderline Nasty idle.

In between is nice, I want it to be Quick, Quicker the better, to get some Respect from newer muscle cars. :) . I am wanting to put in a wide ratio top loader in future, to handle power worry free.

AFR 205's are what I run on my 408... I know you were asking about best for stock application so I would have to agree with Barnett AFR 195's and one of the above listed cams, or get a custom grind from someone.
Remember with the Standard you can go a bit larger on the cam profile and not have to worry about the idle being as nasty as you would with an automatic.
Plus if you go Hyd Roller that helps tame those big cams down some at Idle... I personally wish I had gone to a Larger cam myself

TRANSMISSION

Obviously ging from a 5 s[peed to a 4 speed will cause your engine to run higher revs on the fwy . . that bothers some people but not some others.

You can get a t5 that will handle more power than a stock t5 . . i would get one from astro if i needed one . . if you have killer ytraction and dump the clutch at 3500 rpm, i would get the highest rated one they make which s around $2800.00 . . you can als get the Z spec gear ratio which is far better than the standard ratio.

you can also get a tko 600 trans with the carbon synchros and shift rod rodification.

if you se a top loader, i would get the big input shaft conversion if i was ging to dump the clutch at high rpm with good traction but the stock smaller one will take a lot of non serious drag race abuse.

CAM

imo, the cams I listed are a hair big for 2.55 gears which is why i suggesed 3.73 gears with them .  . you will get better acceleration off the line with a slightly smaller cam . . if you go to a slightly smaller cam, you will loose some lift so if it were me, i might get the smaller cam and install 1.7 raio rockers to increase the lift.

HEADERS

I would get long tube with 1 3/4" tubes . . Anything smaller or shorter will reduce power.

EXHAUST

With your 2 1/4" pipes, i would run a crossover tube . . straight thru mufflers like magnaflows might give you a bit more top end power but they are quieter than most flowmasters.

For a mostly,stock engine I like to run factory heads and port them. Even a stock driver is worth porting the heads as you can get a little more power and economy due to making the flow more efficient.

For any level of performance engine, now days you go right to aluminum heads. I canniest new aluminum heads for under $1000 and they will flow better than stock with a mild port right out of the box

Bob

Afr 205 stock 351w with DSS pistons 1st combo..11.70s on the motor . Afrs out of the box and a lot more tricks..

Stock exhaust manifolds are killing your eldelbrocks...slap a set of headers on it and see what happens..

Ok i finally got cam specs. This is the cam I have running: Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Roller camshaft # 35-425-8 ,

282 289.. 230 236.. 513 529.. LSa110 .. ICL 106 ..

ok, that is a decent cam but the lift is a little low . . if you have 1.6 rockers, it will help if you install 1.7's but only if you install headers as has been mentioned several times . . you might get another 30 hp just from the headers.

your gear ratio is numerically a hair low for that cam with your trans but its not your biggest problem, it will acelerate quicker with 3.73 gears . . i would not run a bigger cam with those gears.

you mus set the timing curve for your engine . . incorrect timng can cost you up to around 20 hp.

imo, you will definitely get more power from better heads also, especially since yours have the small intake valve . .  you can get those heads with a 2.02 valve also but they still wont be nearly as good as afr's or trick flows.

if you want that thing to haul ass, i would install, 1 3/4 headers, afr 185 or 195 heads, or trick flow 190 11r heads, 1.7 rocker ratio arms, 3.73 gears, optimize the ignition timing and increase the compression to around 10.5 . . you will probably get another 70 hp, and combined with the numerically higher gears, it wil haul ass.

Great info, I appreciate everyone for their advise. Now Barnett, if I purchase the Cam Only(Lunati Cam) you posted. Can I still use the same Comp Cams hydraulic Roller Lifters i currently have on there right now?

I agree with those suggesting upgrade your exhaust, headers and exhaust.  I think that's the biggest item killing performance at this time.

What type of lifters do you have now?  Stock hyd roller style with a spider tray retainer system, or tie bar style hyd roller lifters?  I think that Lunati cam is a standard base circle type which means you need tie bar style hyd roller lifters when using an older non hyd roller compatible block.

Non hydraulic roller compatible blocks have shorter lifter bosses than hydraulic roller compatible blocks.  When using a standard base circle cam in an older non hyd roller compatible block there is a risk of pushing stock style hyd. roller lifters up too high out of the lifter boss thus pushing up one the spider retainer system. 

Mine has the stock hydraulic roller style spider retainer tray system.

First thing I will definitely work on getting my Headers and new exhaust throughout. Is 3" pipes for exhaust overkill? Then I will save for my bigger cam n bigger heads hopefully for this summer.

ok, you will have to call howards to see if they make the cam i listed in a small base circle but you should post again after you try it with your new exaust.

the size of your current tail pipes is not a big issue and is not likely robbing a lot of hp but i would prefer 2 1/2" and yes 3" is way overkill and may loose some hp . . if you run an X pipe, it will be a little better also

again, the headers will be the single biggest change, then if you want a little more power just buy the 1.7 ratio rockers and sell yours or get th bigger heads etc.