MikeStang

stupid question on torque converter

Okay my new PTC converter came with bolts and Studs and nuts.

The converter mounting pads are flat and have dual bolt holes and the outer holes line up with my flex plate, but should I use the studs and nuts to bolt the converter to the flex plate or just use the bolts which would also make aligning the converter with the plate easier.

Need quick correct answer lol...don't know that it really matters to much but just wanna be sure

Called PTC today after I gave up on it last night at 10pm.

They said I can use either studs or bolts, and also said I needed to take a 15/32" drill bit and run it through the flex plate bolt holes to enlarge them to fit the larger studs or Bolts that they send with the converter.

He said it was in the directions...

I read the directions 10 or more times SLOWLY and didn't see it, he said hold on and reviewed them and said oops Its NOT in the directions sheet LOL.

But it does seem that I have to put some washers between the flex plate and converter after I seat the converter all the way in the trans and pull it out 1/8" to 1/4" to clearance it correctly....I have never had to do this but I understand WHY lol.

Learned something new today

Yeah my head was hurting last night for sure LMAO.

The holes would almost line up and I could ALMOST get the bolts started.

But now my back is gonna be hurting because I gotta pull the 6 bolts out of the transmission and get it back far enough to drill out the damn flex plate holes :-/

I tell ya every time I upgrade something it turns into a complete pain in the ass.

The price of looking cool and going fast is almost to the level I could just buy a New GT500 and have a warranty and let someone else fix it when it breaks Haha

LOL, well alrighty then

just a tip, i use fine thread grade 8 hardware in these instances . . Also, grade 5 washers and other hardware from the big hardware stores are actually around grade 3 or 2 from china and these washers compress when the nuts are tightened which is why i don't use them for critical areas like this.