Tgriffin91

C4 transmission rebuild

Hi all.

I am looking into rebuilding my C4 as it needs a new transmission oil pump. I do not have much experience with transmissions but that is where y'all come in.

First, any guess on roughly how long a rebuild will take provided all tools/parts etc are readily available? I'm looking to try and do this in a weekend.

Also, do I need to replace the torque converter? Seems like that would be a good idea.

I could use some help on rebuild kits as I see them ranging from $90 to $250 dollars. I have a stock 302 in the car and don't need a performance kit for the trans. I think the ones around $120 look best for what I need but would

Like some help.

Finally, are there any special tools needed? I know I need to check my torque wrench to see the minimum on it.

Any additional tips would be great. Thanks for reading the long post.

i would use borg warner plates and bands in your case.

the torque converter is still good if he trans works but is likely dirty and should be floshed out for a while with solvent.

set the clutches on the tight side of the spec . . i think this will be around .010" per plate . . failure to do ths will cause a soft slushy shift.

if the outside of the drums are grooved replace them

might take 8 hours the first time.

there are videos on you tube also.

I never touched an automatic transmission before until several years ago. I bought the Bad Shoe Productions video for the C6 transmission and did my first. I then bought their C4 video and have done several since. One of the absolute best and most complete you will ever find. I've done (3) more C4 tranny's since then and the results were great. My buddies think I am a pro with automatic transmissions but I'm not. I don't know squat. I just know how to watch a video and pay attention.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/c4.html

When buying a rebuild kit, be sure that the replacement bands are the molded ones in that they are round already.

Some of the cheapie ones have a flex band that gives uneven pressure around the drum.

I rebuild one C4 years ago. It really was not that hard. The big thing is that you heed to know or remember where everything goes back to.

Take it apart slowly and carefully. Lay everything out on the table and take pictures.

Then when you clean the components I only clean one section of components at a time and then put them back on the table in the order they go in.

When I did it I also added a few holes in the drums to allow the fluid out quicker for a firmer shift. And I also machined out the drums to accept an extra clutch and plate

Bob

I read about the Bad Shoe videos and they did seem to be the most popular. I just don't have a lot of money so want to make sure I'm getting something helpful. 8 hours is perfect. I'm sure it will take me longer as per the usual mishaps but that makes me feel better about my ~50hour time limit. 

I'm sure I will have some questions as I go so I will post here if necessary. Probably wont be until week after thanksgiving as long as it lasts me that long before going Ka-put!

Atta boy! As you say you don't have much money, then rebuilding it yourself is truly the way to go. When I contemplate doing something for the first time I ask myself, what's the worst thing that can happen? In your case, you'll have a box of transmission parts that need to be reassembled.

My brothers first tranny rebuild was also a C4. He said organization was the key. His second rebuild was from his BMW 525 which has 600 parts! I drive that car now which has 210,000 miles on it and no issues.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I'm good at organizing short term so hopefully it won't be a problem. My problem is when I write passenger window on a bag and then a year later try to remember where the piece came from. Hah. 

Getting better each time though. Thanks for the encouragement.

I never touched an automatic transmission before until several years ago. I bought the Bad Shoe Productions video for the C6 transmission and did my first. I then bought their C4 video and have done several since. One of the absolute best and most complete you will ever find. I've done (3) more C4 tranny's since then and the results were great. My buddies think I am a pro with automatic transmissions but I'm not. I don't know squat. I just know how to watch a video and pay attention.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/c4.html

Yes i would recommend the bad shoe video as well if your thinking about doing it yourself. I purchased the nine inch video when i rebuilt my diff. You can't go wrong with the step by step instructions. As Wycked69 said he goes through every detail and what to look out for, tips , tricks etc.  I have never rebuilt a diff before and it came out perfect.