Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

4R70W Questions and some Info for new 4R owners

Okay as some of you may or may not know I have been running a 4R70W in my 69 for 2 years now and I just recently busted the case on the damn thing.

It appears as tho the casted in lifting ears on the top of the transmission near the rear tail shaft housing has been making contact with the underside of the car after I shimmed the transmission up in order to attempt to correct the negative 5 degree down angle of the transmission and subsequently it cracked the case in the rear so heres my question. 

I am going to pull the transmission out tonight and was wondering if I would be able to get it out without pulling the motor out of the car.

When I installed it I put the motor and transmission in a 1 unit so it slipped in pretty easily, and I really don't feel like yanking the motor out if I don't have to.

So anyone put a 4R in their car without pulling the motor?

Although I haven't pulled one I would think it should come out np. Once you unbolt the torque converter from the flex, and unbolt the bell bolts it would only have to come back far enough to clear the locating tabs and the flex plate to come down.

Yeah that may be a bit of a problem since the bell housing is pretty damn close to the firewall LOL.

May have to unbolt the motor mounts and let the engine tilt down in the back a good bit to get access.

Hell just bolting those converter bolts up is a huge PITA, then you gotta be sure the converter is seated all the way in the trans and if need be add shims between the flywheel and converter etc...

My new converter came with instructions on checking the distance between the converter and the flywheel and how to add shims etc...

I have never seen anything like that before

Well the info you just gave is NOT a good selling point for the 4R70W swap LOL. If I ever decide to swap out my 3speed slushbox for an OD I'm just gonna add a 3rd pedal lol. Hope you can get it out without too much trouble, Good luck.

Nothing at all wrong with the 4R70W swap, I found some info somewhere stating you needed to remove the ears on the rear of the trans which is just a matter of taking a Saw-Zaw to them and chopping them off and grinding them down smooth, but since the trans went in so easily I didn't worry about that, then I forgot about them when I shimmed the transmission up and that is what broke the case.

I just didn't heed the warnings of the info I found on the swap because I forgot about it.

I wouldn't hesitate to make the swap again because its an AWESOME swap and the car gets killer fuel mileage.

This was MY Mistake

Wasn't trying to dis the swap (just being my sarcastic self lol), from what I've heard and read they're great transmissions, and with the controller extremely adjustable, not to mention the increased fuel economy.

Well I got it out Easily last night with the help of 1 other person and a Jack and no one strained their backs HaHa.

Soon as the trans came down the Lifting Ear on the pass side fell off the case and left a nice gaping hole haha...

Dropping it off today for a rebuild/Parts swap into a new case.

HaHa...

The guy at the transmission shop went through my transmission and checked all the internals and found that it was indeed a built unit and all the wearing surfaces and hard parts were in very good condition with the exception of the Overdrive band which he said was a Stock band and was scorched, so he replaced the band with a Kevlar performance band, replaced all the seals and gaskets and even provided me with a good used case and put it all back together in his case...All to the Tune of a Whopping $230 bucks.

Now that is what I call a good deal.

But wait there is more.

I had already bought another 1997 model 4R70W complete transmission for $120.00 to use the case but he had one so he used it and didn't charge me for it, so Now I have another Good 4R transmission that I want to install in my recently acquired 66 Coupe.

My 66 came with a stock AOD that was out of the car and a Burnt up C4 that is still in the car, so I asked the guy who did the my rebuild, who happens to be the owner and loves old mustangs if I could pay him to let me come over one day when I'm off work and have him show me how to rebuild my other 4R transmission and I would of course buy all the rebuild parts and give him the other 2 transmissions for free if he wanted them.

His response was... I tell ya what, come over any time after thanksgiving and bring the other 2 transmissions with you along with your rebuild kit, and I will give you a mechanical diode upgrade set that I have from another transmission to use in yours, along with the correct length output shaft and I will teach you how to tear it down, what to look for in terms of damage and wear, then we will clean the case and all the hard parts then I will let you put it back together and be sure you do it right and the cost will be the 2 old transmissions you bring me and that's it.

I have always been one to teach someone how to do something I know how to do if they wish to learn it but its very seldom you find someone whose willing to do the same.

I suppose if you ask the right way and seem to be interested in a skill set someone has to offer then there is a chance they might be willing to share their knowledge with you.

I'm super excited to have the opportunity to have someone who has been building transmissions for 35 years and owns a reputable local business show me the correct way to do something like this... Generally I have found that when you get to learn something like this from someone with this much exp that the knowledge you can attain is on par with what would generally take months to get working in a shop somewhere.

It doesn't hurt that I generally retain about 95% of what I learn when doing something with visual, verbal and Tactile hands on training.

Transmissions have always fascinated me but they were always intimidating

I would run out and buy a lotto ticket before the day is over.

I don't do the lotto thing myself but for you to have such a lucky break pretty much mandates you use the mojo while you have it before it leaves you.

Yeah Im thinking about that Now.

My best friend has a few names for me.

My last name is Dorough so he either calls me

#1. Consequence Free D

Or

#2. Teflon Don LMAO

I do seem to be getting luckier than usual lately.

After all I did buy a 66 Coupe from Arizona for 4700 bucks with a Brand New 306 with all forged internals, TF Heads, roller Cam, Intake and carb Running with 0 Miles, New Race Seats, Almost perfect interior, and all the rust has already been removed and fixed, new tires and suspension and an Eleanore body kit hehe...

Yes I have been blessed this month For sure and I intend on taking full advantage of it haha

yes you are one lucky guy;  I have been looking for a 4R70W to rob the internals to build an AOD. Have not had too much luck everything around my area is running from 400 to 600 dollars. I can find some cheaper ones but they are out of cars with modular engines I know the bell is different but will the internals work in the AOD?

Thanks Dave