Brian Conway

Export Brace

The Scott Drake export brace is the one the particular guys at VMF are adamant about being the only brace to use. It reportedly is made from heavier gauge metal and is stiffer. I bought one 10-15 years ago and installed it w/o issue. I did repaint it to match the engine compartment.  

If it's the one that matches OEM then it is the better choice.  They are made much different and stronger than the less expensive aftermarket export braces.  I don't recall part numbers but the one I purchased from NPD was advertised as identical to the original.  I use to have an original and these are in fact almost identical.  The original I use to have still seemed to be made from a little thicker material.

From my experience the OEM copy repro fits just like the OEM did.  Because of years of wear on the car I had to learn how to jack up the car to open up the top of the shock towers a little.  Essentially, loosen all the top fender bolts except the front and rear bolt.  Then jack up the car at the frame location where the lower control arms attach to the frame.  Two floor jacks make it easier.  The top of the shock towers will open up about 1/4". 

I have put these, export braces, on before. Never really had any problems. This one is on my 65 and I was told is a Motorcraft, over the counter, Ford service part. Don't know that for sure. Any how this C5ZZ-E at about $60.00 will make for a nice Christmas present. Has anyone actually bought and installed one recently ? Thanks, Brian

post-33155-0-47100700-1447282586.jpg

Man Dump that old weak crap and build ya one like I did.

I have 2 Pre Cut / Pre Drilled plates I will give you if you wanna cover the shipping, then go down to the local hardware store and buy some round or square tubing and go to town and make you one, it will save ya money and you will have something that actually Works to keep the towers from moving

post-13203-0-37610000-1447366354.jpg

post-13203-0-12254100-1447366357.jpg

Ok so just got around to installing my Christmas present.  A Scott Drake ' 16A052-1E Export Brace, Black, OE Style DE  /C5ZZ-16A052-E  $59.95 '.  Got it on there but a little suprised at how tight it is to the fire wall.  Like no room at all busted the rubber plug because of the hump in the brace.  So I guess I'll find a plug and trim the bottom to fit ?  Should the brace be that tight at the firewall/cowl area ?  How did the install go for you other guys ?  Brian

post-33155-0-80501400-1455836970.jpg

post-33155-0-39626800-1455836988.jpg

You could just trim the brace so it has a slight dip around where the plug goes.. or if you like straight lines, grind the back of the brace down a 1/8" all the way across.  One other idea is to weld up the hole... I think it was used for painting the cowl when it was on the assembly line.

david

My comment was not so much the about plug as to the tightness of the fit to the firewall/cowl.  Leaves very little room for adjustment or to send the cowl bolts thru.  I did think about a 1/8" trim off the back of the brace. Instead went with a re-drill of all the pre-drilled holes 1/32" larger.  For all these cars the fit is going to be a little different and mine, at least needed, a little slack.  That rubber plug looks to be the same as the floor plugs used at the front seat mounts ?  Brian