bomccorkle

Mustangs unlimited repop exterior door handles

A while back I purchased new repop exterior door handles from mustangs unlimited. Today I was attempting to install them and can't get them thru the hole in the skin. I grabbed my originals and noticed that the repop has a different mechanism on it.

I went ahead and to make sure I wasn't crazy put the original on. It slid right in and fit great.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so is there a work around? (Apart from grinding on the door? I spent the last year getting it painted and it just isn't gonna happen)

I'm betting that my est choose is to prob cut my losses throw them in the trash and use the originals, unless someone has a better idea?

Can you just change the original mechanism from old handles and put  on the repo handles.  I have noticed on some of the suppliers listings that they list the handle for 1964 1/2 to 1970 but says on 1969 and 1970 must use old mechanism.  Don't know if that may be your case or not.

Dave

I will look at them again and see if that may be the case. Doors in general anger me and with the luck I've had with repop parts I border on rage so I just put them down came inside and asked, but that's wise thinking I hadn't seen that noted anywhere.

Thanks I'll update as soon as I figure anything out

Can you just change the original mechanism from old handles and put  on the repo handles.  I have noticed on some of the suppliers listings that they list the handle for 1964 1/2 to 1970 but says on 1969 and 1970 must use old mechanism.  Don't know if that may be your case or not.

Dave

True, I ordered a pair from CJPP and didn't like the quality and fit. they were really nice and new but I had issues with them even after installing the old brackets since the new brackets were ment for 65-66. Also, use the new screws when installing, it's a different thread.

I didn't like that these reproduction door handles, they would never sit flush with the door and still had play when mounted, i tried tightening the screw a little more but it split the screw hole so I had to revert back to the old ones. 

the quality is just Sh*t now a days, maybe I had a bad pair or something who knows. but be careful how you install them. 

The hardware is interchangeable on what I have. I got one changed (the one I had an old handle on hand for) but I havnt fitted them to the car.

Spot on on the poor quality of the repop stuff. I havnt bought one new manufactured part that has gone easily. As far as the doors go I'd rather have rusty well fitting handles than shiny with poor fitment. I'll see tomorrow what pans out.

Nice. Do you know the mfg name? I just recently bought some Scott Drake handles, hope they fit.

I bought mine from the company Drake bought, I think they were called "Pro Products" or something like that. If Drake hasn't monkeyed with the design since they bought it, they were pretty good quality.

Nice. Do you know the mfg name? I just recently bought some Scott Drake handles, hope they fit.

Bob

The ones I bought were scott drake they came from Kentucky Mustang. I never looked at other suppliers but they probably have the same listings but KM listed the ones for 64 1/2 to 1970 and they also listed some for 1969 to 1970 only. I think the handles are the same but the mechanism is different.  That said mine fit perfect could not be more pleased but I have heard that the finish doesn't hold up as well as the originals did.

Dave