latoracing

1970 Tilt Steering Column Indecision

I have been working on my '70 Pro Touring style car for a while. I have a quite nice '70 tilt steering column I would like to put in it. The issue; I have to cut on it in order to make it work with the Uni-Steer RnP. I really do not want to chop on this as it is one of the rarer items for these cars. I am going aftermarket wiring, so that is not an issue with an aftermarket column. 

So, what would the general consensus be...

Chop it up?

Sell it to someone who might need it?

That is a tough call.  I was faced with the same thing, I have a factory tilt in my 69 and I put in rack and pinion steering.  I had to cut it at the bottom.  I thought about it for a while, and decided to go for it.  The cut is at the very bottom, and it could be returned to original if needed for some strange reason.   So if it a car you want to keep and have fun with, go for it! 

Tough call, on one hand it's your car /column to do with as you please, if you prefer a stock tilt column in your car go for it. On the other hand if it's in great original shape you could probably get good $ for it, and get a nice new aftermarket tilt column.

Can you sell the original for more than you can buy an aftermarket one?

If yes then sell it and buy the aftermarket.

Of no then just cut it and use it.

Bob

I like this thinking.

What part has to be cut? I believe you can take the lower shaft out of a non-tilt column and use it in place of the rag joint. Then, cut away.

The shaft has to be cut, I'm not certain about the shafts interchanging, There are differences between the tilt column and the non tilt. Ford, in all it's wisdom, made the rag joint area different on the tilt, as there is a removable section for the rag joint. It also incorporated the lower bearing  area as well. Finding parts for these tilts are next to impossible.

Well I've seen original tilt columns listed for $1500, and you can get an Ididit for around $750.

If you know of anyone who is willing to spend $1,500.00 send them my way lol. I could not imagine paying that much money for a column, but I've spent more for other parts that probably do not make since.

I appreciate everyone's input. I am not beyond modifying pretty much anything (that should be oblivious with my build). It is mine to do with as I choose, and I am still considering all my options. I need to do a little more investigating before I modify it.  

By no means am I telling you not to modify it, in my original post I said it's yours to do with as you please, and if you want a stock tilt column do it, I would lol.

As for the value I'll put it this way, say you own, or are building a rare 70, and you have all the original parts, but at some point the original tilt column was replaced with a standard unit. What would you be willing to pay to have a rare 100% concours correct car? You don't see original tilt columns for sale everyday.

My opinion is they are rare enough that I'd sell it and go aftermarket. If your car was a stock resto it'd be different, but your car will be custom enough that an aftermarket column won't look out of place. There are aftermarket columns out there that also have the key in the column like the 70 cars. I kind of like the key in the dash myself (if I were going custom), plus the column is a lot more sleek without the cylinder in it.

The other option is to get a column out of another ford.

I know a guy that built a 70 fastback and wanted a tilt unit because he was tall/long legs so it would be easier to get in and out.

He scrounged the wrecking yards and found a similar era ford that he grabbed the column out of to fit it in his car.

He had to cut and modify it anyway as he was going R&P.

It was close enough that most people would not have known

Bob

The other option is to get a column out of another ford.

I know a guy that built a 70 fastback and wanted a tilt unit because he was tall/long legs so it would be easier to get in and out.

He scrounged the wrecking yards and found a similar era ford that he grabbed the column out of to fit it in his car.

He had to cut and modify it anyway as he was going R&P.

It was close enough that most people would not have known

Bob

I have thought about using a newer model Mustang tilt column out of a '79-'86 Fox body as the plastic portion is still round and they are cheep. I've got one coming to do a little cyphering on. Since I am also going aftermarket wiring I might just be able to use the high beam switch on the column instead of the floor button. If it is around 36" in total length, it might be a candidate. If not, there are a lot of options, without destroying a really nice column. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Looks like the '79-86 Fox column will work, with a little modification. A few attachment point changes and it bolts in place. The length is just right for the rack install and the plastic trim will need some trimming, but it ought to work.

KIMG0175_zpsmusjzkmf.jpg

KIMG0178_zpsvwecd3u5.jpg

Good decision on keeping the 70 tilt column intact.  No doubt you will get decent money for it, if you sell it intact, complete, and in working condition.

I would recommend trying West Coast Classic Cougar for advice on sutable, compatible columns if the fox body unit proves to be more work that its worth.   I have an idea the thunderbird and Lincoln parts are very close.  they may even have a lower shaft that will suit your 70 column, so you can keep all your original parts and still run your tilt column.

Good luck on the R& P build.  Looks like a nice upgrade.  faster steering.