Fantastic

The bastard called it a clone!

I had yet another disheartening conversation with a snapperhead who called my car a clone.

This individual was trying to explain to me why an original but beat to shit R Code '69 Mach I, is worth double what my fully restored to like new condition H Code '69 Mach I is worth. He pointed out the fact that the interior of my car was changed from black (3A) to white (3W), and the transmission was changed from an RAT-AM 3 speed (code 1) to an RUG-E3 4 speed (code 5), and also the non original (edelbrock) heads, intake, carb etc. for justification to say this car is a "clone" and thus not really worth anything. Seriously? An R Code is a nice option, but it is only an option. People continuously debate the value of these cars without breaking down the costs of the major components. 

What a Tool Box.... Gotta hate people like that LOL.

Should have told him to go on ebay and see what a beat down non restored R code gots for Vs what a Restomod H code is worth ..... TOOL BOX.

Guy was just Jealous.

You need the sticker my friend has on his 69 that reads  "No I don't need your suggestions, my build is complete and it meets my needs not yours"

I really don't understand the mindset of folks who think (1) they have to voice their unfavorable opinion on another person's build, and (2) they think everyone should build cars acceptable to them. What ever happened to if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all? And how boring would these cars be if they were all the same color and built the same? I believe the FO remark would have been appropriate. 

Try building a conversion as i did, 90% are for it but one ass hat told me i had no business doing it .It was a coupe and should have stayed a coupe and i ruined a perfectly good mustang... what do you think ?It was just a empty coupe body shell when i bought it .The guy called me a dumb ass.

I kinda think ima smart ass :)

post-42284-0-50741700-1446432517.jpg

I like original unrestored myself, regardless of model and make.  But I will admit, the concourse people can go too far.  For me, there's nothing wrong with upgrading original stuff that just never worked very well.

I'm not defending the guy.  He should have not said anything.  But an unrestored R code Mach 1 is still worth a lot of money compared to H and M code Mach 1's.  Even in a rust bucket condition because I think for many of us what the car was is an important factor.

The concours guys love me. I have an R-code and it is in the process of getting a 462 stroker, EFI, a T56 plus a bunch of body mods. Just imagine the fun I'm going to have when she finally gets to a car show.

The only thing original on my car is the VIN. I didn't buy it to make friends with people who know "better" than me. I brought it to put a smile on my face. My kids can deal with those wankers if they choose to sell it once it is theirs and I am no longer around.

How you build your car is entirely up to you.  But why not start with something less rare if you plan on doing all those mods?  It doesn't seem to make much sense since the more common or base model Fastbacks are more plentiful, thus less money, and are almost always in better condition because they were not driven so hard.

You never know, the concourse guys might thank you because now the other remaining R codes will be worth a little more.

I was in that frame of mind at first. I traveled from one side of the world to the other and spent nearly all of my money on the car of my dreams, a 69 big block Mach 1. The car I've wanted since I was a little kid. But when I got it back home and found the engine was dead and the body was full of rust along with terrible workmanship, my heart was broken. I pretty much had a dodgy shell, a service block and an expensive VIN. To top it off, my wife nearly left me over it.

After a couple of years looking at a pile of parts and trying to figure out which direction to go with no money in my pocket, I decided, fuck it, it's my car, I'm going to do what I want. 69 Fastback's don't grow on trees here in Aus and I may only get half my money back if I sold it as is. If I was lucky.

I didn't buy it to go in the direction I now am. That is just the way it evolved. I've learnt a lot along the way. Not just about Mustangs, but about myself and others as well. I'm not here forever. But for the time that I am, I'm going to do with my car what I want. It is my car after all.

The concours guys can thank me if they wish. My car wont be for sale so resale value is irrelevant.

I have had my conversion on craigs List in Sacramento for the last three weeks ,it has been flagged twice .They never say why it just gets flagged .Some one doesn't like the idea it is a conversion ...well that is just tough s**t ,i will be posting it again .The ones that have called love it and it may be sold ,but i am going to post it again just to piss off who ever keeps flagging it .

I started of as a concourse guy ,to the point of making my own wiring labels and using all the factory paint codes .It got old fast .big deal so it was factory correct ! It was a pain in the butt to maintain those cars and a hell of a lot funner to build it to drive the crap out of it instead of a giant model .

Build the car the way you want it ,it is no one elses business .If they don't like it .... they don't have to look at it !

I never got much more for a concourse finished car than i did for a modified .Hell people are modifying cars directly off the show room floor right now ..including Shelbys so build it the way YOU want it and have a ball driving it .

Thank you all for the support. I think a clone would be a fastback made up and badged as a mach, a GT, or even a Shelby. My car is a Mach badged as a Mach. When I started this adventure, I started with a different shell that was a plain fastback. I often wonder what would have happened if I had stayed with that shell. If not tied to what the car "wanted to be", I would have ended up with a significantly different ride. There is not a single part on my car that is original to the original car. That is, even if factory correct, every part of the car is a replacement part or came from another car. When I bought the car I started with a bare shell, just like you would get from Dynacorn. It was a body in white (literally) with a VIN that determined the body color and the engine block that I decided on.

What I started with..

1969Mustangwhenitarrived201.jpg

How far I took the first shell

Bethany037.jpg   

Shell swap

Bethany111.jpg

Finish line

image.jpg1_1.jpg

You should have seen the reactions i got in the 70s with my first 1935 Ford pick up .I wanted something i could drive any where so i put a Hi Po 289 and a 4 speed from a wrecked 66 Shelby ...believe it or not even they were not worth a lot back then . This old man asked me why i did that and why i didn't put the flat head back in it as he grumbled and groaned . It is kind of funny because at the time a Chevy conversion was not a problem  .Well i was not and am not a GM guy so i wanted it the way i wanted it . The Model  A guys were even worse .Now you have fiberglass bodies and they are being modified and customized ...in ways that i even find weird ..but it isn't mine so it it isn't any concern of mine ,If that is your dream car do it the way that you see it and don't pay any attention to some one elses  thoughts or comments .

I'm behind you fantastic. I'd rather see someone build it and drive than restore just to look at. No one has really seen my 69 yet but I do catch some flak for driving my 06 year round. I initially wanted to drive the 69 year round (I did before the tear down) but I want to run summer HP tires which wouldn't work too well in winter. Will still be a DD between snow falls though.