Sign in to follow this  
Diehardfe

1969 428cj 5 speed

I have a 69 Q code Mach 1 and I am seeking some input from other Mustang guys and gals. The state I live in, has recently increased the interstate speed limit and it is incredibly frustrating to be crusing down the interstate listening to my 428 screaming trying to stay with traffic. Slow down? Right! No way I will let a Prius pass me! I have searched the net trying to find 5 speed conversion info for a FE, No luck. Has anyone here done the conversion? From what I can find, the TKO 600 trans will take the abuse from a 428, but cross member, what clutch to use and so on...

Any suggestions?

contact quick time . . they make a bell housing for an fe with tko or t5 trans . . i would also get the trans modified to improve the shifting if you liike to do fast shifts . . modern drivelines makes complete kits . . really need to know how hard you drive it and approximate hp to make clutchh suggestions . . do you have the 4 speed clutch linkage?.

I did this conversion last year with my Big Block.  I contacted Modern Driveline and they will have everything you need.  I bought everything from them expect the transmission as I got a good deal from another vendor.  I went with a TKO 600 and hydraulic clutch set up.  I could not be happier.  In fact, I went from 3.25 gear to a 3.50 gear and still runs better on the highway and lower RPM's.  It was certainly a big project, but was well worth it to me as I was converting from an auto to 5 speed and the car is much more fun to drive now.