schweigert

coupe rear window trim

I went a little overboard when I was removing the vinyl top of my 69 coupe -  I popped out the rivets fairly aggressively and tossed the trim that goes around the back window - not realizing that i would need it again (in my defense, its pretty big piece of trim and i figured it was just to hold down the vinyl)

on top of that I patched up the rivet holes along the bottom (again, in my defense, they were very far away from the back glass that I thought it was just a vinyl top thing)  

I left the rivet holes to the sides and top of the glass thinking there would be coupe piece of trim. 

so now.... i'm left with this 

YFcsq49.jpg

I cant be the first person who ditched the fatty back glass trim and wanted something more slender? 

I can't see the pic from this PC.  Might be my network though.

Anyway, some folks have converted from 69 (fat) trim, to 70 trim (similar to the windshield trim).  This still requires some of those studs to be in place though.  You may need to do a bit of welding to get studs back in the proper place, depending on which trim you decide to use.

well right now there are holes to the left and right where water could get in - I COULD patch and paint but its so close to the rear glass it would be difficult. Also the tabs on the top. 
If i got a trim piece i would paint it black  - im pretty anti chrome at the moment. 

I know i've seen SOMEONE on this forum made their own thin 69 rear window trim - 

i'm not seeing the 70's trim on scott drake - http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Store/Category/Molding/Exterior%20Moldings/Rear%20Window%20Molding%20Kit.aspx?wid=141  

heres a shot of the fatty 69 trim - I do not want that thick lower piece by the trunk at all. yuk

BvSSAiK.jpg 

theres a shot of the 70's coupe rear trim and it does look WAY thinner. but seems to stick out a bit? 

REGqTnX.jpg

I've attached the image for people who cant see imgur links 

post-34137-0-08244600-1445962597.jpg

I agree, it looks just fine with no trim at all.  The only concern I can think of would be the use of sealer on the rear glass.  It can squeeze out of the gasket, and that may be a small challenge to get clean and tidy.  From what I can tell, some folks use a sealer with the gasket, while others only use the gasket and no sealer.  I can't say from experience if a sealer is necessary or not.

I saw some neat screws designed as a repair for missing trim studs.  They are simply a flat headed phillips screw with the threads stopped short on the shaft.

You drill a pilot hole, screw in the screw until it stops on the shoulders, and you have a pretty good stud for your trim clip.  Probably been around for years, but they might help anyone doing  a window or window or trim repair/replacement.  Pretty simple thing, and a real time saver if you don't have a stud welder, and the exact right size studs.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mustang/ford-mustang-windshield-moulding-repair-stud.html

This is not the first seller I have seen, but I cant seem to find that one.  They offered clips and screws in kits.  Probably ebay now I think about it.

Maybe our supporting sponsors sell them too, I will wait and see. 

â€‹edit - yep, they are all over ebay under "windscreen trim clip".     I never claimed a discovery, just mentioned they will be useful........lol

Ok schweigert, you're going to have to share the story about your license plate :)

California just last year started reproducing the vintage black and yellows and also opened it up to  allow them for any year car (before it was just proper pre 70 vintage)

$50 bucks! 

anyway- I was amazed they allowed it! 

but haha 69 was taken so I knew i'd be good  ;)

update - I snagged the 70 mustang rear window trim and it fits better than i hoped

its not 100% flush, but still very happy with it

[picture]

ill try to upload a better picture later

I finally have some time to place the trim on our '70 Coupe. During a previous restauration the studs/knobs(?) to place the clips for the rear window trim have been deleted. I've already got the clips etc, but I don't know how 'deep' I need to screw those in, in the chanel. Do you know how 'deep' that I need to put the screws in related to the lip where the seal sits on? Especially the top ones. The bottom ones have to be almost against the bottom lip as far as I can see in a youtube video that i found. Sample picture:

Untitled-1_zpsc8xak62t.jpg

Nordic Dawn

Took me awhile to find these.

The attached pix will help you.

I took exact measurements from this 1970 donor car for those clips.

My trim fit real nice using this measurement.

Don't forget to put sealant on those holes before you screw in the posts assuming that's what your using.

post-14323-0-24448000-1465051314.jpg

post-14323-0-34136400-1465051336.jpg

The screw in studs I bought are fool proof, depending on the fool. The length of the stud portion above the sheet metal is about .125".

I forget where I bought mine, but a quick google search found this:

http://www.homeprofasteners.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=735

Here's my order info:

Thank you for your purchase of Windshield Clip Studs Rear Window GM Ford Q-20 Screw In #117

Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png
retromotive <support@thankyouemails.com>
4/1/15
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Retro-Motive Auto Supply 

post-5441-0-07112600-1465100817.jpg

Hey Shaun

Do you have any finished painted pics now without the trim now

Im looking at doing the same thing but was worried how the rubber would look on its own

Im even looking at painting a similar colour

Cheers

I've still got a full repaint to do so I might just weld up the holes and leave the trim off. Looks better to me.