Shep69

Seat belts

Anyone used the Scott drake 3 point seat belts. I was going to use the wesco performance ones but they want too much for shipping to Australia. I can get the Scott drake ones from summit shipped at a good price.

post-39819-0-28209600-1445924616.jpg

I grabbed a full set (2 front, 3 rear) from seatbelt pros - the rears are ok, but the fronts are terrible.

I'll try to explain wha the issue is - 
the lower belt "anchors" are not designed properly to be used with same hole  - look on the bottom right of your picture - you have the spring/wind up part as one end,  and then the other part  - in our mustangs they need to share the same lower hole. 

the seatbelt pro ones  - were designed backwards or something.  ... the more i try to explain it, the more i think i'll just take a picture. 

Thanks Schweigert . Some photos would be good. Why can't you use the same mounting hole. in most cases you will have to mount the retractor further back anyway to allow for the seat to go all the way back .

Hi Mark, have a look at these belts. They are for an aussie charger, but should be a close fit for the mustang. They include the drop link like my belts

http://www.hemiperformance.com.au/store2/p_609_Front-Retractable-Drop-Link-Seat-Belt-suit-Charger

These were my first option for my coupe until the local rip off merchant screwed me on my belts. If I had my time again I would have just bought these and installed them myself. Expensive mistake but you live and learn.

I tried a set of those from Summit Racing as well.  I like them but in a 69 Mach 1 the front retractors prevented the front seats from going all the way back which is an issue in these cars.  I also tried a set from NPD and they were identical but with a different style buckles and they had the same issue.  Maybe this issue only occurs on Mach 1's or cars with the deluxe interior seats?  I reinstalled the original seat belts.

From my research most of the 3 point retrofit seat belts originate from the same manufacturer.  They're just rebranded and have a few different style buckles.  When you compare the way they install, it's kind of strange compared to later model cars with factory installed 3-point seat belts.

I moved the lower mount back to below the b pillar and can get full seat travel. I think it's the only way to get the belts to work properly and get proper clearance to the seat. Also rear passengers aren't tripping over seatbelts gettin in.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50945-69-coupe-aussie-style-restomod/page-2

I moved the lower mount back to below the b pillar and can get full seat travel. I think it's the only way to get the belts to work properly and get proper clearance to the seat. Also rear passengers aren't tripping over seatbelts gettin in.

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50945-69-coupe-aussie-style-restomod/page-2

this is exactly the pajangle i have right now - with the two belts overlapping so the reel doesnt work

IMG_0936_zps393ce9a2.jpg   

so you ended up moving that further back? or did you just have the bottom end stick out at an angle just enough so that the reel can work? 

I tried a set of those from Summit Racing as well.  I like them but in a 69 Mach 1 the front retractors prevented the front seats from going all the way back which is an issue in these cars.  I also tried a set from NPD and they were identical but with a different style buckles and they had the same issue.  Maybe this issue only occurs on Mach 1's or cars with the deluxe interior seats?  I reinstalled the original seat belts.

From my research most of the 3 point retrofit seat belts originate from the same manufacturer.  They're just rebranded and have a few different style buckles.  When you compare the way they install, it's kind of strange compared to later model cars with factory installed 3-point seat belts.

Like Shaun071 suggests. Because these retractables are larger than the originals you have no option but to move them back a bit . No big drama . I would rather have a new set of 3 point belts than the originals.

I have a set from these guys. 

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/mustang.html

They work great in the original mounting points.  The only thing I did differently is had them add an 8" drop sash for the shoulder belt mount to lower where the belt rode across my neck.  They build them right there in Jupiter FL, so they can customize them any way you would like. 

I agree, relocating is the only way for the 3-point seat belts to fit.  Mine is a finished car that I rarely drive so I didn't want to cut and weld on anything.  It still doesn't seem right that the retractor and one other mount tab share the same bolt?  I've never seen any of the automakers mount 3-point seat belts in that manner.  It's still a lot better than using the original lower mount location.   

this is exactly the pajangle i have right now - with the two belts overlapping so the reel doesnt work

IMG_0936_zps393ce9a2.jpg

so you ended up moving that further back? or did you just have the bottom end stick out at an angle just enough so that the reel can work?

Yes, it seems the only way to do it. 3 point retractable belts have been mandatory for US imported classics here in Aus. I spent a lot of time at car shows and talking to compliance engineers here and 90% of the cars have the belts set up this way.

The retractor mount where you have it and the belt end mounting tab attached to the original retractor mounting bolt is more similar to how the auto mfg's install 3-point retractable seat belts.  I don't know if one method is more correct or safer than the other.  I always thought these aftermarket 3-point seat belts were advertised to be installed with both the retractor and the seat belt end tab on one original anchor bolt so they can market them as "bolt in upgrades" (my 2 cents). 

I know on some retractors the belt coming out of it needs to be very close to vertical for the retractor to operate correctly.  I don't know if these fit into that category.

It's been a while since I installed three point belts in a mustang, but back when I did it I got them out of one of the street rod magazines.

They were nice and easy to install and worked well, however they used the GM type of buckle. That was the only drawback.

But they were cheaper from a street rod shop than any of the mustang sources

Bob

Just remember that the belts in your car, here in Aus, need to apply to our regs.

I'm not being a nazi here, but if there was a bad collision, and someone got hurt, and the car was inspected, insuarance would not be great to deal with. And then there's the issue with a canary if you are intercepted.....

Dunno how it's done over there in WA, but here in VIC thats how it is.

I'll be going with the locally made Hemcos.

Good luck

Chris

The regulations vary from state to state. When I fitted my belts you had to go with adr approved belts then in 2014 it changed to standard belts in good condition. I still have to have mine approved by an engineer because of the modified mounting points. He's happy to sign off on the work as I stuck to the national mod codes. As D0ZX said, belt mods open a huge can of worms here in oz.

Over here in WA I licenced my car using the original belts . As long as they are in good condition they are acceptable . We don't have to do 12 monthly inspections either.

I will probably do the same thing, unfortunately my originals are not to good, looking at a set on ebay at the moment.

I will probably do the same thing, unfortunately my originals are not to good, looking at a set on ebay at the moment.

Try these guys

http://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

To my knowledge they are the only ADR compliant company licensed to reweb seatbelts with new material in Australia. All the falcon get shops send their belts there to get refurbished.

Try these guyshttp://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

To my knowledge they are the only ADR compliant company licensed to reweb seatbelts with new material in Australia. All the falcon get shops send their belts there to get refurbished.

Shaun I might need to use these guys if if the drop links won't fit my new belts.post-39819-0-97026900-1446253670.jpg