BlackMachOne

1969 Mustang with 14" Wilwood kit; Caliper mount towards front or rear?

I am in the process of installing my 14" 6 piston kit #140-12638 on my 69. I am using factory drum spindles as recommended. The only way the kit will work and clear the spindle is for the caliper to mount towards the front of the vehicle. Every picture I see of a 69 or 70 with this same kit seems to show the opposite; the caliper mounts towards the rear of the vehicle. I spoke with Wilwood. He stated that all Mustangs of these years have rear mounted steering, and the caliper must be mounted towards the front of the car; opposite of the steering arm. I asked why all other 69/70's I have seen have the caliper mounted towards the rear and he was unsure. 

The reason the kit I have will not work with the caliper mounted in the rear is the caliper bracket kits the steering arm/spindle. The guy at Wilwood verified that I have the right kit, but I am still concerned since every picture I find shows the opposite of my results. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

This is the way every other 69 seems to have the calipers mounted. In this picture I would call that the 10:00 position. As you can see, the "C" shaped bracket on the left of the caliper bracket does not fit and the bottom 2 bolts attaching the C bracket to the caliper bracket will hit the spindle/steering arm. 

08ef55a8-0c90-49e0-831b-f783089cd48d_zps

This is the only way all bolts will light up without clearance issues on my car

0B5FF99F-B5A4-4B36-8294-4F7569B425D7_zps

These are pictures of all of the other 69/70 Mustangs I have found with either Wilwood or Baer 14" brakes with the caliper mounted towards the rear

YM0sZK6_zps3aqfglai.jpg

dsc0474_zps5us6hntz.jpg

smDetail-WheelBrakes_zps0epzebzu.jpg

DSCI0517_zpsg7a3hlyi.jpg

2847e195af7a7a8d77592e7fa8f70949_zpsvtfi

Just thinking out loud here. Have you tried changing the brackets side to side? Where the bolts interfere with the steering arm, can you install the bolt from the inside prior to attaching the bracket? Hopefully someone here with Wilwood brakes will reply. 

Had the same issue when I was on the factory spindle on my 70. Mine cleared either front or rear on the front. I chose facing the rear to match the rears. On my mustang 2 front end, I made calliper brackets. I am unsure if 69 has slightly different spindles that is causing your issue.

I have just mounted the same kit on my 69 and yes the calipers mount to the front of the vehicle.The only one I have seen mount towards the rear was a kit used on a boss 429 that came with a modified caliper bracket that used the same mounting points as the original calipers.

Yea I have tried that and nothing changes. I also confirmed with Wilwood that I was using the correct bracket for the correct side. 

So Dillwood has no f'n idea where the caliper goes so you have to go to a Mustang site so you can ask them....isn't that special.

I have just mounted the same kit on my 69 and yes the calipers mount to the front of the vehicle.The only one I have seen mount towards the rear was a kit used on a boss 429 that came with a modified caliper bracket that used the same mounting points as the original calipers.

xlnt info.

do you want a job at Dillwod?

Thanks for the help guys. The way I have it mounted is correct. Certain steering set-up move the steering shaft towards the front, so that is the reason some of the cars I posted show the caliper i the back. The caliper must be mounted opposite of the steering arm with the Wilwood kit. The Baer kit has a different bracket I suppose. 

I am just going to throw in that I really like trying to stick with stock and/or Ford products as much as possible. That is just my preference and I don't know why..

I really like my Vintage Venom kit because I used stock drum spindles to attached 2004 Mustang brake parts. The look is perfect IMHO..

Front

IMG_20150609_215354.jpg

Rear

20150527_162510.jpg