Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Drive shaft slip Yolk weirdness.

Okay got my new driveshaft in and went to slip it in and it stops just past the output seal WTH.

I told them a C4 Yolk which should be same as a 4R70W.

Well seems the actual 4R70W yolk is 1.6" and a C4 Yolk is 1.5" outside diameter... So knowing I have a 4R70W because that's what my computer is operating why the hell does a 4R70W yolk that's 1.6" not fit but a C4 yolk that's 1.5" in Dia does?? What gives.

It measures same ID on both yolks but the actual 4R70W yolk they sent is to big on the od

Possibly because there are two different sizes of tailhousing bushings for 4R70W's.  A 1992 (technically an AODE) used a 1.506" tail bushing. And matching seal. From 1993 on up the AODEs', 4R70W's, and all supposedly used a 1.606" inside diameter bushing. It's possible to swap the entire tailhousing and not notice until you have a yoke mismatch. Pretty sure you can't swap just the bushings, nor the seals either.

Yeah I did some research on it last night and it would seem I can swap the entire tailshaft housing out to a later model and get the larger diameter bushing and be able to use my new Yolk.

However I really didn't want to swap my damn tail shaft housing out LOL...

If I just swap my old yolk on to my new driveshaft will I need to have it rebalanced?

The damn 4R70W yolk cost me 98 bucks :-/ 

It may be easier to just get a 4r70 tailshaft rather than sending this shaft back etc....